• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Shanghai - Nanjing Road girls

jhcam8

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Matt
oh sorry - the surprising wasn't me surprised that it happens in Vietnam, I'm not, I was more surprised that expats who live in Vietnam would fall for it.

Try some Saigon tea.

MetroStyles

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I just got scammed for $4 by a Jamaican dude today who said he needed money to buy baby formula. It was a very well-planned scam. I mean, he seemed pretty honest so I think there was a 5% chance it wasn't a scam but afterwards I realized it must have been.

It actually made me feel really sad. No wonder I am such a callous asshole when the one time I let down my guard and try to help someone out I realize that there are people out there who just out to deceive you. Sad to live in a world where people can't be trusted at all. And I don't blame the dude at all - this is all a product of capitalism. The have nots will always, quite justifiably, try to scam the haves for their money. You and I would too if we were poor and hungry. And no, I don't think there is a significant upgrade over capitalism out there...it's just a necessary evil.

StephenHero

Black Floridian
Reaction score
Originally Posted by MetroStyles
Sad to live in a world where people can't be trusted at all. And I don't blame the dude at all - this is all a product of capitalism. .

Before the 18th century, there were no gullible idiots or those willing to exploit their irrational empathy.

teacha.gif

MetroStyles

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by pebblegrain
whats the scam?

1) say you need baby formula, it costs 6.40, say there is a pharmacy up the way
2) Walk to said pharmacy, it happens to be closed
3) I mention the other two pharmacies in the neighborhood, to which he says they don't have the one he is looking for and he mentions what it is and it sounds real and all
4) Try another place, he says the one they carry is not what he needs because his kid is less than 3 weeks old (bullshit?)
5) Finally we "realize" none of the pharmas carry it so I give him $4 and wish him the best.

I don't really care since its four dollars, but it's just the principal of it. He seemed real genuine compared to most NYC panhandlers, so I guess I fell for it.

pebblegrain

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thats the crazy thing about hustling. Do it just 3 times in an hour, you got $12 in your pocket...

zhouyu

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Eason
I've never been to Shanghai, but I have a dense Canadian friend here who got scammed hard his first several times in SH. First time, he spent 100 USD on a ******* taxi to get to his accomidations, next he lost 2000 USD to a hooker scam. I'd say he deserved it since he's a complete color wolf whore monger.

色狼 雞蟲... hahah... 2k USD... u friend must been a dumbass to get rocked like that...

Originally Posted by MetroStyles
1) say you need baby formula, it costs 6.40, say there is a pharmacy up the way
2) Walk to said pharmacy, it happens to be closed
3) I mention the other two pharmacies in the neighborhood, to which he says they don't have the one he is looking for and he mentions what it is and it sounds real and all
4) Try another place, he says the one they carry is not what he needs because his kid is less than 3 weeks old (bullshit?)
5) Finally we "realize" none of the pharmas carry it so I give him $4 and wish him the best.

I don't really care since its four dollars, but it's just the principal of it. He seemed real genuine compared to most NYC panhandlers, so I guess I fell for it.

yeah... a lot of people been doing this scam... had 1 guy running the same scam on three separate occasions outside my work place... another guy tried that outside a rest stop along the i-95....
A Lot of people fall for that ****, people sympathize more since it involves a baby i guess... more so than a cardboard signs saying they need money for booze...

lovestorm

Reaction score
One of the first thing those shanghai girls always ask is "how long have you been in shanghai?" they want to see just how naive you are, and if you've already been burned by one of their scams. They often say they want to practice their english too.

Eason

Bicurious Racist
Reaction score
Avoid anybody in any country who asks "how long have you been here?" or "is it your first time in ____?"

sujie

Reaction score
actually girls approaching you in order to get a cup of coffee isverycommon in Nanjing Road (Shanghai) and Wangfujing (Beijing). It is a variant of the usual way to offer prostitution services to foreigners, just offering "masaji" (pronounced the Japanese way). I will not consider a ripoff since the price is negotiated previous to the servive, anyway price ranges similar to the ones in the developed countries. Other approaches to foreigners in that areas are the invitation to a tea house (an outright ripoff) and the visiting of a small art gallery ( I visited one and bought some things at reasonable prices).
Apart from this, I feel very sick of the habit of anglisaxins of referring to themselves as white. The chinese have the same skin colour as southern europeans.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads