• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Shanghai/Beijing bound

Ace Rimmer

Reaction score
Hey lefty,

I just got back from that area of China myself. Two weeks total, with stops in Suzhou, Hangzhou, Shanghai, Xian and Beijing.

Any reason why you're spending so much time in Hangzhou? Beyond the West Lake and some other local sights, I think you would be better off spending your time elsewhere. You could probably do Hangzhou in a day or two.

lefty

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
That's the kind of advice I need.

I was thinking I'd like to see the countryside as I;m getting a little tired of cities. Do you recommend longer in Shanghai? I could spend more time hiking in Moganshan.

Thanks,

lefty

Cravate_Noire

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
i've spent only a day in hangzhou and that mainly at the west lake when i've been there...I was adviced that there's nothing else that would be special or worth more time in hangzhou itself.
I would rather take a few more days for shanghai.

umyth

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Ace Rimmer
Hey lefty,

I just got back from that area of China myself. Two weeks total, with stops in Suzhou, Hangzhou, Shanghai, Xian and Beijing.

Any reason why you're spending so much time in Hangzhou? Beyond the West Lake and some other local sights, I think you would be better off spending your time elsewhere. You could probably do Hangzhou in a day or two.

yes, you are right....

Ace Rimmer

Reaction score
Originally Posted by lefty
I was thinking I'd like to see the countryside as I;m getting a little tired of cities. Do you recommend longer in Shanghai? I could spend more time hiking in Moganshan.

I think you've got plenty of time in Shanghai. In fact, I'd say maybe a smidge too much time. There is a lot to do there but if you're into hiking I think you may get bored by the fifth day or so. If you're into urban sights and restaurants, you'll be fine. We only stayed for two days, but it was a good time. We went to the Pearl Tower, the national museum and took a riverboat cruise down the river. Lots of restaurants and shopping if you're into that stuff as well. Watch out for the traffic, as congestion is very bad downtown (especially as they are doing construction for the World Expo in 2010).

I lucked out when I went to Shanghai because the 2009 Auto Show was in town. That basically took an entire afternoon but it was a lot of fun if you're a car enthusiast.

I'd say spend two days max in Hangzhou. The West Lake is the only "must see" place there. Hangzhou also features its share of temples and gardens, which are decent places to visit but you can find a lot of those in China in general.

The silk factory and tea factory tours in Hangzhou are nothing but thinly disguised excuses to get you to buy stuff so I'd say skip both of them. Then again, almost any factory tour (silk, pearls, tea) falls into that category so watch out.
laugh.gif
I would skip all factory tours unless you really like gift shops. Last, there is a traditional village type place (think Renaissance Faire on steriods) which isn't exactly a must-see either but it's not bad.

Basically, you can do a full-day tour and hit most of the above if you're willing to put in about 12 hours of touring. We did a full day tour from Suzhou, which meant we also had to take the bus 2 hours each way. It was a long day but it's possible. If you spend one night in Hangzhou then you can take a more leisurely pace.

I have not been to Moganshan so I can't say how that will be. Have you been to other areas in China, or is this your first trip there? I can recommend some sights in the other places depending on where you've been before. I haven't done much hiking in China except for along a non-tourist destination along the Great Wall (Beijing).

lefty

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Used to live in SE Asia, but haven't been to China, HK aside. I'm now thinking of extending Shanghai, dumping Hangzhou, and maybe three days hiking and chilling in the country.

Anyone have a line on a hipster hotel in Shanghai? Staying at the RC for four days, but wouldn't mind checking out another place.

Any SF folk there?

lefty

B2C2V

Reaction score
Used to live in SE Asia, but haven't been to China, HK aside. I'm now thinking of extending Shanghai, dumping Hangzhou, and maybe three days hiking and chilling in the country.

Anyone have a line on a hipster hotel in Shanghai? Staying at the RC for four days, but wouldn't mind checking out another place.

Any SF folk there?

lefty

Since this is your 1st trip to China, I'd suggest to include Beijing where you can see the Great Wall and Forbidden City. You can fly into SH and out of ** pretty easily from most major US/EU airports.

If you must have a country side trip on your plan, may I suggest http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Zhangji...al_Forest_Park

Ace Rimmer

Reaction score
^^ I'm with him, go to Beijing and see the Great Wall, the Forbidden City and the Temple of Heaven.

My buddy from Suzhou took us to a part of the Great Wall that is non-renovated. It's about a 4-5 hour hike from one end to the other, but it's far less crowded than the renovated part (which is where most of the tourists go). You have to make arrangements for a car to pick you up at the other end (it's not a loop) but IMO this is much more fun than the standard tourist route. At the end there is a zipline you can ride over the river if you like.

Caution: if you look like a furriner (like I did), be prepared to have people following you around hawking stuff. There was this group of ladies on the Great Wall that trailed us for two @#$@# hours trying to get us to buy stuff. I know people have to make a living but that sucked.

lefty

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Now changed my trip to 5 days Shanghai and 5 days Beijing with maybe a day trip or two in there. URBN Hotel in Shanghai and the Shangri-La Hotel in Beijing.

Any hotel thoughts?

lefty

B2C2V

Reaction score
Now changed my trip to 5 days Shanghai and 5 days Beijing with maybe a day trip or two in there. URBN Hotel in Shanghai and the Shangri-La Hotel in Beijing.

Any hotel thoughts?

lefty

What's your budget?

Not familiar with the SH URBN hotel, location wise, my preference is near the Bund. I stayed at the Renaissance SH once which was not bad.

If the ** Shangri-La Hotel is the one near Zi zhu yuan, location wise it is not so great. Personally I would stay along Chang An Ave / Jian Guo Men Ave between Tian an men square and the conservative business dress. I have stayed at the Grand Hyatt ** and Traders Hotel **. Both were good for me.

lefty

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
^ No budget, just like hipster hotels. Now considering the Hotel G in Beijing. Hotel Cote Cour is closed while I'm there.

lefty

B2C2V

Reaction score
^ No budget, just like hipster hotels. Now considering the Hotel G in Beijing. Hotel Cote Cour is closed while I'm there.

lefty

Dunno about the Hotel G but googled it's near San Li Tun which is a good location. Many embassies / western corp's are around there so you can meet internationally diverse people, not to mention, the bar street of ** is there. Enjoy.

Eason

Bicurious Racist
Reaction score
LK and I are in Beijing- he's on the East side and I'm Wessiiiide. When will you come to Beijing exactly? I'll be flying back to the US on the 7th of July for my Sister's wedding.
Originally Posted by B2C2V
Dunno about the Hotel G but googled it's near San Li Tun which is a good location. Many embassies / western corp's are around there so you can meet internationally diverse people, not to mention, the bar street of ** is there. Enjoy.
Pssshh, that area is all foreigners, can't stand it. You can play a fun game there though called "Watch the Tajikistani slip the ruffie". To have fun in Beijing you have to hang out with shirtless guys chainsmoking and drinking 9 bottles of TsingTao in an alley next to rotting garbage.

lefty

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Eason
LK and I are in Beijing- he's on the East side and I'm Wessiiiide. When will you come to Beijing exactly? I'll be flying back to the US on the 7th of July for my Sister's wedding.

Pssshh, that area is all foreigners, can't stand it. You can play a fun game there though called "Watch the Tajikistani slip the ruffie". To have fun in Beijing you have to hang out with shirtless guys chainsmoking and drinking 9 bottles of TsingTao in an alley next to rotting garbage.

On or about June 30 - July 4. Will it **** your rep to be seen in public with a Gweilo?

lefty

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Forum statistics

Threads