• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Shameful Purchases

tiecollector

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
What have others given you the most grief about? For me it's a $100 fountain pen and my $500 vacuum that get the most flack. What do you see as your most shameful that you don't really want to tell others about? Drawing a blank. Sure I spent $1000 on MW suits when I was starting out, but I actually wore them for a year and didn't know any better. I haven't really used the fountain pen, but one day I'm sure I will. Maybe some touristy crap I bought when I was 18 or so. I actually bought a real poncho with the intent of wearing it outside.

SField

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by tiecollector
What have others given you the most grief about?

For me it's a $100 fountain pen and my $500 vacuum that get the most flack.

What do you see as your most shameful that you don't really want to tell others about?

Drawing a blank. Sure I spent $1000 on MW suits when I was starting out, but I actually wore them for a year and didn't know any better. I haven't really used the fountain pen, but one day I'm sure I will. Maybe some touristy crap I bought when I was 18 or so. I actually bought a real poncho with the intent of wearing it outside.

Looking back, and after in fact being ripped on by someone here for purchasing an apartment on South Michigan... I'm a little ashamed for having spent so much money on buying an apt. in a touristy area. It's a great place, but there are many, many other places I'd rather live in Chicago.

Incidentally, it's been the largest purchase of my life to date.

kwilkinson

Having a Ball
Reaction score
^If you ever need a housesitter on those long overseas vacations, you just let me know.

MetroStyles

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by kwilkinson
^If you ever need a housesitter on those long overseas vacations, you just let me know.

I can vouch that kyle is an excellent housesitter. Guaranteed to not get any bodily fluids on your sheets or upholstery.

kwilkinson

Having a Ball
Reaction score
Originally Posted by MetroStyles
I can vouch that kyle is an excellent housesitter. Guaranteed to not get any bodily fluids on your sheets or upholstery.

True. Or at least I'll have them washed before you get back home. It's not like I'm gonna **** on someone's white chair or anything.

limester816

Reaction score
just spent a few hundred dollars on some Arcteryx gear that I didnt really need just haaaad to have... I've told myself that after a hundred miles using the gear I will be paid up with myself...

Salad

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm not sure it's my most "shameful" purchase but I recently bought a Forge de Laguiole waiter's corkscrew with pistacchio wood handles, $130. I figure it's a tool that I'll hopefully get to use the rest of my life. I have a gang of cheap wine keys that work fine but there is something about using a beautiful handmade tool that make the experience better.

runner-guy

Reaction score
Originally Posted by limester816
just spent a few hundred dollars on some Arcteryx gear that I didnt really need just haaaad to have... I've told myself that after a hundred miles using the gear I will be paid up with myself...

Arcteryx stuff is pretty damn nice.

turboman808

Reaction score
Recently I took my family out to the Russian Tea Room. For 6 of us it came to about $1900. Complete waste of money but I wanted to do it just once. I don't think I will spend that kind of money on dinner again. Most of it was the assortment of caviar.

Oh in contrast I took my fiances family out to dinner at Cracker Barrel this weekend. $70 with tip. I hate to say it but the Cracker Barrel steak taste better then the Russian Tea Room fillet minion.
eh.gif

Lone Wolf

Reaction score
Not shameful, but useless:

I got heavy into scuba diving when I was dating a girl who was also into it. Spent a good amount of money getting mulitple certifications and bought a ton of gear, including a drysuit which, by the time it came in, we had broken up.

The woman I've been seeing since then is not only afraid of the water (which theoretically might be able to be cured) but can't stand having her ears covered (thus no hoods or head submersion. I've tried working with her on both and it ain't happening). I guess I could go without her, but due to work schedules we only see each other a couple of times during the week and I hate to be gone for part or most of a weekend diving. We're probably going to be together forever but I can't pull the trigger on selling anything, I guess because I know I'm not going to get back what I paid.

So, bottom line is in addition to paying for the classes, sharing space in my closet is a wetsuit, close to a grand's worth of gear in a very nice dive bag, and a $1500 drysuit that's never seen the light of day.

tiecollector

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by turboman808
Recently I took my family out to the Russian Tea Room. For 6 of us it came to about $1900. Complete waste of money but I wanted to do it just once. I don't think I will spend that kind of money on dinner again. Most of it was the assortment of caviar. Oh in contrast I took my fiances family out to dinner at Cracker Barrel this weekend. $70 with tip. I hate to say it but the Cracker Barrel steak taste better then the Russian Tea Room fillet minion.
eh.gif

Wow $1900 for a dinner, damn that's impressive. Oh I also got a lot of flack for spending $500 for a night in a hotel in NYC (just to do it once), forget which one. Honestly, I couldn't tell the difference between it and a nicer Holiday Inn. I'll bet there was caviar. Fun fact I heard on the radio, outside of Moscow, Sacramento is the next largest hot spot for Russian mob and caviar smuggling activity.

GQgeek

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Lone Wolf
Not shameful, but useless:

I got heavy into scuba diving when I was dating a girl who was also into it. Spent a good amount of money getting mulitple certifications and bought a ton of gear, including a drysuit which, by the time it came in, we had broken up.

The woman I've been seeing since then is not only afraid of the water (which theoretically might be able to be cured) but can't stand having her ears covered (thus no hoods or head submersion. I've tried working with her on both and it ain't happening). I guess I could go without her, but due to work schedules we only see each other a couple of times during the week and I hate to be gone for part or most of a weekend diving. We're probably going to be together forever but I can't pull the trigger on selling anything, I guess because I know I'm not going to get back what I paid.

So, bottom line is in addition to paying for the classes, sharing space in my closet is a wetsuit, close to a grand's worth of gear in a very nice dive bag, and a $1500 drysuit that's never seen the light of day.

Go without her. You don't have to do it every week... If you can't spend a day apart every once in a while then y'all gonna have issues.

HRoi

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
these purchases are not shameful. maybe useless, overpriced and/or regrettable, but not shameful. where are the Asian hooker and 12-inch marital aid stories?
devil.gif

MrGimpy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by turboman808
Recently I took my family out to the Russian Tea Room. For 6 of us it came to about $1900. Complete waste of money but I wanted to do it just once. I don't think I will spend that kind of money on dinner again. Most of it was the assortment of caviar.

Oh in contrast I took my fiances family out to dinner at Cracker Barrel this weekend. $70 with tip. I hate to say it but the Cracker Barrel steak taste better then the Russian Tea Room fillet minion.
eh.gif

I'm not surprised at this. I'd take a good steak over the gamey notes and starchy texture of fillet minions. Also, the other minions always raise a fuss when I fillet one of their colleagues/family members.

tiecollector

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
If you can't tell others about it without getting a little embarrassed, it's kinda shameful. The title wasn't meant to be taken too literally.

More interested to hear what other people have tried to shame you about purchasing.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 86 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 23 10.2%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 16.0%

Forum statistics

Threads