Dismiss Notice

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Shallow "girly" pockets

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by Kent Wang, Jun 9, 2005.

1. Kent Wang

Kent Wang Affiliate Vendor Dubiously Honored Affiliate Vendor

I primarily wear women's jeans because they're a tighter fit, but I also like the shallow pockets. Yes, there's less space but it holds things like cellphones and keys higher up and closer to the waist where the bulge is less visible than if those items were hanging lower on your thigh.

2. Brian SD

Brian SD Moderator

ts easier to grab stuff out of your pockets but if I'm wearing tight jeans I don't put anything in my pockets at all so it doesn't really matter to me.

3. montecristo#4

montecristo#4 Senior member

I hate shallow pockets. I feel like I am about to lose stuff.

4. stache

stache Senior member

Me too. I wind up making pockets deeper if they're too shallow.

5. LA Guy

LA Guy Opposite Santa Staff Member Admin Moderator

I like shallower pockets, and usually modify my jeans (Paper Denim GTO's, Seven Bootcuts (eat it, Brian), and APCs being the exceptions) such that they have shallower pockets.

6. stache

stache Senior member

LA, do you find that things stay in your pockets?

7. Brian SD

Brian SD Moderator

Hey you know what, I saw a guy walking around the other day and I said to myself, "Hey those jeans look pretty good.. I like that fit. Who makes those?" Lo and behold it was SEVEN. Agh, the world is coming to an end when I actually like the fit of a pair of Sevens.

8. LA Guy

LA Guy Opposite Santa Staff Member Admin Moderator

Sucks to be dogmatic, doesn't it Brian?

And to answer the previous question: no, stuff stays in my pockets pretty well. I don't make them *that* shallow. I actually find that whether stuff falls out of your pockets depends less of the depth of the pockets and more on the fit of the pants.

9. MatthewG

MatthewG Member

I've been reading for a while now, thought I would post.

I'm spending the month in Paris, so I thought I would check out the APC store (in 3e). The people there were so helpful that I couldn't not buy a pair of New Standards, size 30 (the sudden drop in the Euro helped; instant gratification was better than buying cheaper in $$). 10 days in, I like them a lot.

But I can barely stand the small front pockets. Between a tight fit in the thighs and the raw denim, I feel like I'm scraping my knuckles every time I have to get something out. Part of the problem is that I've always carried my wallet in a front pocket, a habit these will likely break me of. But I still need to carry around 1 and 2 Euro coins . . .

Maybe the problem is more the jeans than the pocket size, but I'm unconvinced.

10. Geowu

Geowu Senior member

I hear you.. tight jeans in general have inaccessible front pockets.
    hope they stretch a bit

11. Brian SD

Brian SD Moderator

(Brian SD @ June 10 2005,10:46) Hey you know what, I saw a guy walking around the other day and I said to myself, "Hey those jeans look pretty good.. I like that fit. Who makes those?" Lo and behold it was SEVEN. Agh, the world is coming to an end when I actually like the fit of a pair of Sevens.
    Sucks to be dogmatic, doesn't it Brian? And to answer the previous question: no, stuff stays in my pockets pretty well. I don't make them *that* shallow. I actually find that whether stuff falls out of your pockets depends less of the depth of the pockets and more on the fit of the pants.
    Well, at least it's good that I admit it when I find something proving my dogma is wrong or fallacious or whatever.

12. Edward Appleby

Edward Appleby Senior member

I hatehatehatehate hate shallow pockets. I'll be constantly checking to make sure nothing's fallen out, and there's this nagging in the back of my head, but despite it all I always manage to loose something.

13. j

j (stands for Jerk) Admin

I think the APC pockets are fine. I can fit my keys in the left and my knife, Blistex and new-old Dunhill lighter in the right. However, it is a real pain to get any change out if I need to. Like, I have to take everything else out to get to it kind of a pain. The Uniqlo pockets are deeper and I find it much easier to get to change, but the stuff is farther down so it can be uncomfortable when you sit. So it's kind of a tradeoff.

14. Kent Wang

Kent Wang Affiliate Vendor Dubiously Honored Affiliate Vendor

I have never had anything fall out of my shallow pockets. I agree with LA Guy in that it's really a matter of fit. My jeans are tight enough that it is not an issue.

The only disadvantage I've found is that when I bend over, sometimes my phone or pen will poke me in the pelvis.

15. Sevcom

Sevcom Senior member

I dig shallower pockets too. Stuffing my cell phone down my PDC Icon pockets feels uncomfortable and creates more of a weird bulge, whereas putting it in my Seven jeans' pockets isn't nearly as irritating.

Of course, I hate carrying lots of stuff to begin with. My ideal is: phone in my GTOs' coin pocket, keys in one of the pockets, wallet in the back, end of story.