1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Shaking hands with master tailors

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by mmkn, Oct 27, 2012.

1. mmkn

mmkn Senior member

I've shaken hands with a handful of master tailors in my life (those who have been hand sewing since 15) and their handshake feels much like that of my neurosurgical colleagues.

I suppose it's the delicate handling of things over and over in their lives.

- M

1 person likes this.
  2. GBR

GBR Senior member

What an odd comment/thread.

Last edited: Oct 27, 2012
    1 person likes this.
  3. gsugsu

gsugsu Senior member

Not sure that applies in all cases. I know a couple of neurosurgeons with hands the size of hams and fingers like sausages. Their handshakes are in no way delicate. You'd think they shovelled gravel for a living.

4. Blackhood

Blackhood Senior member

I once shook Neo's hand. He shook with the firmness of a chief resident, but with a kindest more reminiscent of a nerosergeon.

1 person likes this.
  5. edmorel

edmorel Senior member Dubiously Honored

"shaking hands with master tailors".. I thought that was a euphemism :confused:

6. mmkn

mmkn Senior member

I'm just sayin' . . .

Their hands are usually beefy and strong (cue Ed for more "comments" :)), but when they shake yours it's almost womanlike in its grip.

Just musing that it's from all those years of pincering the needle and thread, but having to delicately appose fabric pieces together.

- M

Bh, regarding Neo, did you mean necrosurgeon? :devil:

7. gsugsu

gsugsu Senior member

Well, I don't doubt your perception about the similarities in the grips between of tailors and neurosurgeons you've met. All I know is that these these two old cowboys, both now dead, had a grip that would crush your hand. Maybe old school is different than new school.