• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

[Shadow community thread, you may bring your snack ]

sipang

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Done !

Anybody else watched Rope ? Can we get some discussion in here ?

@thewho13
@thewho13
@thewho13
@thewho13

sipang

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

thanks! will watch this tonight. I also uploaded another film - we live in public. it's a documentary about one of the early dotcom millionaires, and what he did with his money (livestreaming his relationship, inventing youtube before youtube, constructing a video surveilled subterranean commune underneath new york city...)

Ok great. Nice to have a documentary for a change.

I think I can delete The Great Beauty, right ?

dwyhajlo

Reaction score

Two surprises. Rope is so famous for its one long continuous take that, coming into the film, I pretty much expected it to be only about that. An experiment that only uses the story as pretext for a showy demonstration of technical prowess. Turns out the long take is almost unnoticeable and you kinda forget about it a couples minutes into the film (which might actually be the real prowess), which is totally unexpected and the exact opposite of the way more recent films have used it. I'd be curious to know Hitchcock's motivation for it . It definitely gives the film a real-time vibe (with the help of the slowly changing skyline) and a fluidity that makes the tension-building more palpable and effective.

The second surprise is that it's actually not one long continuous take, even if you leave out the hidden cuts needed for technical reasons there still are a couple of obvious cuts. The cool thing is that Hitchcock uses those visible cuts so parsimoniously that they kinda jump at you when they occur, well at least one of them does: the reverse-shot on James Stewart after the chicken thing, you can see the wheels starting to turn in his head. I feel like it's that moment that really jumpstarts the film/story and that will implacably leads to its resolution.

I'm not as convinced by some of the writing. I feel like Brandon and Phillip's characterization is a bit too caricatural and the whole ubermensch thing is not exactly subtle and verges a little too much on humdrum didacticism (although it probably had another kind of impact three years after the end of WW2).

Hitchcock's motivation for doing the film in what was as close as possible to a single long take stems from the nature of the play Rope. In the play, even though it's told in three acts, the action is continuous. The only interruptions are when the curtains come down at the end of each act, but there is no time difference between the end of each act and the beginning of the next. When Hitchcock began the project he wanted to see if it would be possible to make the film mimic the feeling of the play, he wanted to see if he could make the action feel as continuous and uninterrupted as it did in the play. I personally think he succeeded. One significant difference is length: the play and the movie both take place between 7:30 PM and 9:15 PM, but the film is much shorter than 105 minutes. I guess you could say that the movie takes place in a slightly accelerated compared to the "real world," but this is pretty much what movies already do anyway.

Another interesting thing is that, for the time, this was a huge technical undertaking (and it probably would be today). Everybody on set, from the lighting and sound and camera people right up to the actors had a series of cues and intricate choreographed movements they had to follow - there were even choreographed patterns for the clouds in the background! They also had to make sure that the floor didn't make any noise when people were walking on it or moving heavy equipment around on it. Because it all had to be shot on a single set, which consisted of multiple rooms, the walls separating each room had to be put on silent rollers so that they could be moved to accommodate the movements of the camera.

A lot of the same stylistic flourishes and techniques were reused in Hitchcock's next film, Under Capricorn, which also had some sequences filmed as though they were one continuous take.

Ok that makes sense. Still, the way it's conveyed feels a bit too expository imo, no big deal just somewhat distracting.

Also I gotta say the homosexual subtext kinda went right over my head.

Do you mean the relationship between Brandon and Phillip, or Brandon and Rupert, or all of the above?

dwyhajlo

Reaction score

I think that this is what sipang meant by "where the wheels start turning."

I thought. this scene (above) was great. You could feel the rising tension as Rupert slowly antagonized Phillip to near-breaking point. I really liked the nice touch of Phillip starting out playing the piano quite well at the beginning of the scene, until he was barely able to play two right notes by the end.

I always love Hitchcock's sense of "playfulness." That's one of the things that really sets him apart from a lot of other directors.

Last edited:

dwyhajlo

Reaction score
Bump.

Did anybody else watch Rope? Any thoughts?

@Teger, when are you going to put up that next film?

noob in 89

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I deleted Dropbox after the Edward Snowden revelations. :(

Last edited:

dfagdfsh

Professional Style Farmer
Reaction score
I thought I did? I'll upload it tomorrow

noob in 89

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Thanks, Teger. Will have to grudgingly re-install the ol' dropbox tomorrow, though admittedly, my critical acumen feels somewhat under fire after sipang's swift dispatchment of Her!

Last edited:

snake

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
For those of you still with us, I've uploaded a new film.

Apologies for it not being in better quality..

sipang

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Damn, totally missed this. Snake, many thanks for trying to keep this somewhat going.

Where's everyone ??

Will watch this weekend

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads