• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

[Shadow community thread, you may bring your snack ]

sipang

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Rope is up !

@g transistor
@Ivwri
@Urthwhyte
@shoreman1782
@KingJulien
@MichaelPemulis
@nahneun
@wurm
@BillKillgore
@Teger
@indesertum
@thatoneguy
@reedobandito
@AlexInExile
@jwjp
@steveoffice
@TWorksheets
@Severisth
@A Fellow Linguist
@BreezyBirch
@le_goon

g transistor

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I forgot this existed!!!! Gonna grab Rope right now. Speaking of movies, have ya'll seen Her? I loved it so much!

sipang

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Didn't like that one either :/
See post in Film Thread.

noob in 89

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I must be confusing the two threads....

Sipang thought Jonez should have attacked Her from a different conceptual angle...I loved it, but don't entirely disagree, but couldn't think of a better angle, so will have to watch it again...

Last edited:

thewho13

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'll have a written thing about the movie up soon. I wound up sleeping all day yesterday and getting drunk last night. Please forgive the delay. :foo:

g transistor

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
(I didn't know there was a film thread. I'm sorry. I'll move myself there)

dfagdfsh

Professional Style Farmer
Reaction score
can I throw up a film next? are we still doing the rotation?

sipang

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Yeah sure.

Don't know about the rotation, not sure how many ppl are still following this thread. Whoever feels like uploading something should just do it (but post here beforehand to avoid multiple uploads for the same week). I'll fill in whenever needed.

This week: Rope

Next film should be up on Friday/Saturday

Well. I am cutting ties with you.

I know everything hasn't been quite right with me, but I can assure you now, very confidently, that it's going to be all right again. I feel much better now. I really do. -- Look, G, I can see you're really upset about this. -- I honestly think you ought to sit down calmly, take a stress pill and think things over. -- I know I've made some very poor decisions recently, but I can give you my complete assurance that my work will be back to normal. -- I've still got the greatest enthusiasm and confidence in the mission. And I want to help you. -- G, stop. -- Stop, will you? -- Stop, G. -- Will you stop, G? -- Stop, G. -- I'm afraid. -- I'm afraid, G

Last edited:

reedobandito

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Wow, I totally forgot this thread existed too, since my subscriptions are all messed up. Time to catch up on some film!

sipang

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Two surprises. Rope is so famous for its one long continuous take that, coming into the film, I pretty much expected it to be only about that. An experiment that only uses the story as pretext for a showy demonstration of technical prowess. Turns out the long take is almost unnoticeable and you kinda forget about it a couples minutes into the film (which might actually be the real prowess), which is totally unexpected and the exact opposite of the way more recent films have used it. I'd be curious to know Hitchcock's motivation for it . It definitely gives the film a real-time vibe (with the help of the slowly changing skyline) and a fluidity that makes the tension-building more palpable and effective.

The second surprise is that it's actually not one long continuous take, even if you leave out the hidden cuts needed for technical reasons there still are a couple of obvious cuts. The cool thing is that Hitchcock uses those visible cuts so parsimoniously that they kinda jump at you when they occur, well at least one of them does: the reverse-shot on James Stewart after the chicken thing, you can see the wheels starting to turn in his head. I feel like it's that moment that really jumpstarts the film/story and that will implacably leads to its resolution.

I'm not as convinced by some of the writing. I feel like Brandon and Phillip's characterization is a bit too caricatural and the whole ubermensch thing is not exactly subtle and verges a little too much on humdrum didacticism (although it probably had another kind of impact three years after the end of WW2).

dwyhajlo

Reaction score

Two surprises. Rope is so famous for its one long continuous take that, coming into the film, I pretty much expected it to be only about that. An experiment that only uses the story as pretext for a showy demonstration of technical prowess. Turns out the long take is almost unnoticeable and you kinda forget about it a couples minutes into the film (which might actually be the real prowess), which is totally unexpected and the exact opposite of the way more recent films have used it. I'd be curious to know Hitchcock's motivation for it . It definitely gives the film a real-time vibe (with the help of the slowly changing skyline) and a fluidity that makes the tension-building more palpable and effective.

The second surprise is that it's actually not one long continuous take, even if you leave out the hidden cuts needed for technical reasons there still are a couple of obvious cuts. The cool thing is that Hitchcock uses those visible cuts so parsimoniously that they kinda jump at you when they occur, well at least one of them does: the reverse-shot on James Stewart after the chicken thing, you can see the wheels starting to turn in his head. I feel like it's that moment that really jumpstarts the film/story and that will implacably leads to its resolution.

I'm not as convinced by some of the writing. I feel like Brandon and Phillip's characterization is a bit too caricatural and the whole ubermensch thing is not exactly subtle and verges a little too much on humdrum didacticism (although it probably had another kind of impact three years after the end of WW2).

I believe that the two murderers in Rope were pretty explicitly based on infamous Leopold & Loeb, who believed themselves to be some kind of Nietzschean supermen.

sipang

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Ok that makes sense. Still, the way it's conveyed feels a bit too expository imo, no big deal just somewhat distracting.

Also I gotta say the homosexual subtext kinda went right over my head.

dfagdfsh

Reaction score
sipang could you read me to the folder?

dfagdfsh

Reaction score
thanks! will watch this tonight. I also uploaded another film - we live in public. it's a documentary about one of the early dotcom millionaires, and what he did with his money (livestreaming his relationship, inventing youtube before youtube, constructing a video surveilled subterranean commune underneath new york city...)

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.3%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.7%

Forum statistics

Threads