1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

[Shadow community thread, you may bring your snack ]

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by sipang, Feb 25, 2013.

1. sipang

sipang Senior member

Done !

Anybody else watched Rope ? Can we get some discussion in here ?

@thewho13
    @thewho13
    @thewho13
    @thewho13

2. sipang

sipang Senior member

Ok great. Nice to have a documentary for a change.

I think I can delete The Great Beauty, right ?

3. dwyhajlo

dwyhajlo Senior member

Am watching right now.

4. snake

snake Senior member

If it'll put your mind at ease, yes. :satisfied:

Will watch Rope this weekend.

5. dwyhajlo

dwyhajlo Senior member

Hitchcock's motivation for doing the film in what was as close as possible to a single long take stems from the nature of the play Rope. In the play, even though it's told in three acts, the action is continuous. The only interruptions are when the curtains come down at the end of each act, but there is no time difference between the end of each act and the beginning of the next. When Hitchcock began the project he wanted to see if it would be possible to make the film mimic the feeling of the play, he wanted to see if he could make the action feel as continuous and uninterrupted as it did in the play. I personally think he succeeded. One significant difference is length: the play and the movie both take place between 7:30 PM and 9:15 PM, but the film is much shorter than 105 minutes. I guess you could say that the movie takes place in a slightly accelerated compared to the "real world," but this is pretty much what movies already do anyway.

Another interesting thing is that, for the time, this was a huge technical undertaking (and it probably would be today). Everybody on set, from the lighting and sound and camera people right up to the actors had a series of cues and intricate choreographed movements they had to follow - there were even choreographed patterns for the clouds in the background! They also had to make sure that the floor didn't make any noise when people were walking on it or moving heavy equipment around on it. Because it all had to be shot on a single set, which consisted of multiple rooms, the walls separating each room had to be put on silent rollers so that they could be moved to accommodate the movements of the camera.

A lot of the same stylistic flourishes and techniques were reused in Hitchcock's next film, Under Capricorn, which also had some sequences filmed as though they were one continuous take.

Do you mean the relationship between Brandon and Phillip, or Brandon and Rupert, or all of the above?

1 person likes this.
  6. dwyhajlo

dwyhajlo Senior member

[​IMG]

I think that this is what sipang meant by "where the wheels start turning."

[​IMG]

I thought. this scene (above) was great. You could feel the rising tension as Rupert slowly antagonized Phillip to near-breaking point. I really liked the nice touch of Phillip starting out playing the piano quite well at the beginning of the scene, until he was barely able to play two right notes by the end.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I always love Hitchcock's sense of "playfulness." That's one of the things that really sets him apart from a lot of other directors.

Last edited: Jan 31, 2014
  7. dwyhajlo

dwyhajlo Senior member

Bump.

Did anybody else watch Rope? Any thoughts?

@Teger, when are you going to put up that next film?

8. thewho13

thewho13 Senior member

I've been sitting on a half-completed response for like a week now, sorry sip-san. :(

9. noob in 89

noob in 89 Senior member

I deleted Dropbox after the Edward Snowden revelations. :(

Last edited: Feb 6, 2014
  10. Teger

Teger Senior member

I thought I did? I'll upload it tomorrow

11. Teger

Teger Senior member

Movie up! watch

12. noob in 89

noob in 89 Senior member

Thanks, Teger. Will have to grudgingly re-install the ol' dropbox tomorrow, though admittedly, my critical acumen feels somewhat under fire after sipang's swift dispatchment of Her!

Last edited: Feb 12, 2014
  13. snake

snake Senior member

For those of you still with us, I've uploaded a new film.

[​IMG]

Apologies for it not being in better quality..

2 people like this.
  14. sipang

sipang Senior member

Damn, totally missed this. Snake, many thanks for trying to keep this somewhat going.

Where's everyone ??

Will watch this weekend

15. Ivwri

Ivwri Senior member

I am here and reporting for duty :D.

been crazy busy recently pursuing projects and trying to make money, but I think I have gotten a handle on my schedule now.

Will also watch the movie this weekend.

16. sipang

sipang Senior member

good good !

I need to pm you later

1 person likes this.
  17. sipang

sipang Senior member