• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

SF vs. AAF

Horace

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
It becomes funny when a thread goes on for page after theoretically self-conscious page about how true trad must have an unstudied, negligent, natural air to be convincing.
My Lord,

that's what's so brilliantly hilarious about it.

Horace

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
American trad ( over at Ask Andy) gives me the ***** [it is boring and very long] while brooks bros is very interesting to read. l am from Australia so l find America esp Brooks Bros and other American outlets as very interesting. l can't relate to American Trad. l tried reading the topic [at Ask Andy] but l got hopelessly overwhelmed by the topic. What the hell are sack suits and Seersucker jackets??? l don't have a bloody clue. lt's a pity Malinda (over at Ask Andy) is such a Hitler. Sometimes she ruins all the fun. She hates Marc Grayson. Â
biggrin.gif
Shooman, in a sense your conflating the two, Brooks and Amer. Trad, or rather you should. Though they aren't the same. We've tried to school you Shooman, in the ways of the Trad, and we've spent much time on it, offering your example after example (avec links), but you've been a bit obtuse, Grasshopper. Seersucker, indeed. For a pic, have a look at the Brooks site. What's so hard to "get" about seersucker -- it isn't like your being asked to derive Kepler's 3rd law...

Roy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
American trad ( over at Ask Andy) gives me the ***** [it is boring and very long] while brooks bros is very interesting to read. l am from Australia so l find America esp Brooks Bros and other American outlets as very interesting. l can't relate to American Trad. l tried reading the topic [at Ask Andy] but l got hopelessly overwhelmed by the topic. What the hell are sack suits and Seersucker jackets??? l don't have a bloody clue. lt's a pity Malinda (over at Ask Andy) is such a Hitler. Sometimes she ruins all the fun. She hates Marc Grayson. Â
biggrin.gif
Sack Suits and Seersucker, just stay clear of them and you will never need to know about them
wink.gif

marc37

Reaction score
(marc37 @ June 04 2005,19:02) American trad ( over at Ask Andy) gives me the ***** [it is boring and very long] while brooks bros is very interesting to read. l am from Australia so l find America esp Brooks Bros and other American outlets as very interesting. l can't relate to American Trad. l tried reading the topic [at Ask Andy] but l got hopelessly overwhelmed by the topic. What the hell are sack suits and Seersucker jackets??? l don't have a bloody clue. lt's a pity Malinda (over at Ask Andy) is such a Hitler. Sometimes she ruins all the fun. She hates Marc Grayson. Â
biggrin.gif

Sack Suits and Seersucker, just stay clear of them and you will never need to know about them Â
wink.gif

l will. They sound like they thoroughly suck anyway.

Horace

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Read through this thread. I like both forums. SF is funnier most of the time. But on AAAC, anyone who's been taking the Trad discussions with seriousness doesn't get the joke. And anyway, you can't kill Trad. It will only get stronger. Our own demise will come about only when Press is as ubiquitous as Gap. And that day will come. And then you'll all be sorry.

Shooman: I'm coming to Oz next year, duration to be determined. And your countrymen shall know Trad. And they shall fear it. Behold the conversion.

imageWIS

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Read through this thread. I like both forums. SF is funnier most of the time. But on AAAC, anyone who's been taking the Trad discussions with seriousness doesn't get the joke. And anyway, you can't kill Trad. It will only get stronger. Our own demise will come about only when Press is as ubiquitous as Gap. And that day will come. And then you'll all be sorry. Shooman: I'm coming to Oz next year, duration to be determined. And your countrymen shall know Trad. And they shall fear it. Behold the conversion.
Queue music: Music Long shot of 747 moving through the air as the Trad is nearing Australia... Jon.

mack11211

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Quote (Lord Foppington @ June 04 2005,09:34)
It becomes funny when a thread goes on for page after theoretically self-conscious page about how true trad must have an unstudied, negligent, natural air to be convincing.

"The hardest act is acting natural." [Oscar Wilde]

Concordia

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
(Roy @ June 04 2005,11:30)
Originally Posted by marc37,June 04 2005,19:02
biggrin.gif

Sack Suits and Seersucker, just stay clear of them and you will never need to know about them Â
wink.gif

l will. They sound like they thoroughly suck anyway.
They go very badly with patent leather.

Yckmwia

Reaction score
I'm new to both forums and have learned a lot from both.

I think many of the characters there are endearing, including the guy who always pipes in with his uncomprehending one-line non sequitors.

. . .

Howard? Howard is indispensable, a pearl beyond price.

Lord Foppington

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Lord Foppington,June 04 2005,09:34
My Lord, that's what's so brilliantly hilarious about it.
Well you're half right, from my point of view. But then the idea that preppy/trad is all about unstudied ease has always seemed to me like a load. I've never seen such a class-nervous, symbol-obsessed bunch. Hence "The Preppy Handbook," which purports to take an analytical, outsider's view, is really the preppiest book there is. These people can't shut up about the trappings of their social identity. And yes, to the other poster, I meant Howard, God love him.

HoustonBusiness

Reaction score
I also find many of the posters over there ridiculous- a whole lot of 'I am a sartorial genius, and you're not so there' attitude.
Interesting.  I seem to find a much greater number of posters on this board with that attitude.

HoustonBusiness

Reaction score
AA may have its issues with trad, but SF seems to take the canvas vs. fused issue to bizarre lengths.  If I posted a question about boxer shorts, I would expect to be quizzed as to whether the boxes were canvassed, 1/2 canvas, or fused...and if they're fused, they're crap.  Yep, no pretension on SF.
I wholeheartedly agree, particularly the part about fused suits being "crap." There are quite a few self-proclaimed sartorial wizards on this board who seem to believe that wearing a fused suit made with Loro Piana fabric is akin to wearing a polyester leisure suit.

Horace

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
(Horace @ June 04 2005,14:44) Read through this thread. Â I like both forums. Â SF is funnier most of the time. Â But on AAAC, anyone who's been taking the Trad discussions with seriousness doesn't get the joke. Â And anyway, you can't kill Trad. Â It will only get stronger. Â Our own demise will come about only when Press is as ubiquitous as Gap. Â And that day will come. Â And then you'll all be sorry. Â Shooman: Â I'm coming to Oz next year, duration to be determined. Â And your countrymen shall know Trad. Â And they shall fear it. Â Behold the conversion.
Queue music: Music Long shot of 747 moving through the air as the Trad is nearing Australia... Jon.
....And by their narrow lapels, repp ties, and button-down shirts, Ye shall know Them....

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads