1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

SF vs. AAF

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by JLibourel, Jun 2, 2005.

1. Horace

Horace Senior member

My Lord,

that's what's so brilliantly hilarious about it.

2. Horace

Horace Senior member

Shooman, in a sense your conflating the two, Brooks and Amer. Trad, or rather you should. Though they aren't the same. We've tried to school you Shooman, in the ways of the Trad, and we've spent much time on it, offering your example after example (avec links), but you've been a bit obtuse, Grasshopper. Seersucker, indeed. For a pic, have a look at the Brooks site. What's so hard to "get" about seersucker -- it isn't like your being asked to derive Kepler's 3rd law...

3. Roy

Roy Senior member

Sack Suits and Seersucker, just stay clear of them and you will never need to know about them [​IMG]

4. marc37

marc37 Senior member

(marc37 @ June 04 2005,19:02) American trad ( over at Ask Andy) gives me the shits [it is boring and very long] while brooks bros is very interesting to read. l am from Australia so l find America esp Brooks Bros and other American outlets as very interesting. l can't relate to American Trad. l tried reading the topic [at Ask Andy] but l got hopelessly overwhelmed by the topic. What the hell are sack suits and Seersucker jackets??? l don't have a bloody clue. lt's a pity Malinda (over at Ask Andy) is such a Hitler. Sometimes she ruins all the fun. She hates Marc Grayson. Â [​IMG]
    Sack Suits and Seersucker, just stay clear of them and you will never need to know about them  [​IMG]
    l will. They sound like they thoroughly suck anyway.

5. Horace

Horace Senior member

Read through this thread. I like both forums. SF is funnier most of the time. But on AAAC, anyone who's been taking the Trad discussions with seriousness doesn't get the joke. And anyway, you can't kill Trad. It will only get stronger. Our own demise will come about only when Press is as ubiquitous as Gap. And that day will come. And then you'll all be sorry.

Shooman: I'm coming to Oz next year, duration to be determined. And your countrymen shall know Trad. And they shall fear it. Behold the conversion.

6. imageWIS

imageWIS Senior member

Queue music: Music Long shot of 747 moving through the air as the Trad is nearing Australia... Jon.

7. mack11211

mack11211 Senior member

Quote (Lord Foppington @ June 04 2005,09:34)
    It becomes funny when a thread goes on for page after theoretically self-conscious page about how true trad must have an unstudied, negligent, natural air to be convincing.

"The hardest act is acting natural." [Oscar Wilde]

8. Concordia

Concordia Senior member Dubiously Honored

(Roy @ June 04 2005,11:30)
    American trad ( over at Ask Andy) gives me the shits [it is boring and very long] while brooks bros is very interesting to read. l am from Australia so l find America esp Brooks Bros and other American outlets as very interesting. l can't relate to American Trad. l tried reading the topic [at Ask Andy] but l got hopelessly overwhelmed by the topic. What the hell are sack suits and Seersucker jackets??? l don't have a bloody clue. lt's a pity Malinda (over at Ask Andy) is such a Hitler. Sometimes she ruins all the fun. She hates Marc Grayson. Â [​IMG]
    Sack Suits and Seersucker, just stay clear of them and you will never need to know about them  [​IMG]
    l will. They sound like they thoroughly suck anyway.
    They go very badly with patent leather.

9. Yckmwia

Yckmwia New Member

Howard? Howard is indispensable, a pearl beyond price.

10. Lord Foppington

Lord Foppington Active Member

Originally Posted by Lord Foppington,June 04 2005,09:34
    It becomes funny when a thread goes on for page after theoretically self-conscious page about how true trad must have an unstudied, negligent, natural air to be convincing.
    My Lord, that's what's so brilliantly hilarious about it.
    Well you're half right, from my point of view. But then the idea that preppy/trad is all about unstudied ease has always seemed to me like a load. I've never seen such a class-nervous, symbol-obsessed bunch. Hence "The Preppy Handbook," which purports to take an analytical, outsider's view, is really the preppiest book there is. These people can't shut up about the trappings of their social identity. And yes, to the other poster, I meant Howard, God love him.

11. HoustonBusiness

HoustonBusiness Active Member

Interesting.  I seem to find a much greater number of posters on this board with that attitude.

12. HoustonBusiness

HoustonBusiness Active Member

I wholeheartedly agree, particularly the part about fused suits being "crap." There are quite a few self-proclaimed sartorial wizards on this board who seem to believe that wearing a fused suit made with Loro Piana fabric is akin to wearing a polyester leisure suit.

13. Horace

Horace Senior member

(Horace @ June 04 2005,14:44) Read through this thread. Â I like both forums. Â SF is funnier most of the time. Â But on AAAC, anyone who's been taking the Trad discussions with seriousness doesn't get the joke. Â And anyway, you can't kill Trad. Â It will only get stronger. Â Our own demise will come about only when Press is as ubiquitous as Gap. Â And that day will come. Â And then you'll all be sorry. Â Shooman: Â I'm coming to Oz next year, duration to be determined. Â And your countrymen shall know Trad. Â And they shall fear it. Â Behold the conversion.
    Queue music: Music Long shot of 747 moving through the air as the Trad is nearing Australia... Jon.
    ....And by their narrow lapels, repp ties, and button-down shirts, Ye shall know Them....