1. Styleforum Gives - Holiday Charity Auction 10: A full set of Aesop's Fables pocket squares from Vanda Fine Clothing

We are very proud to present this year's edition of the Styleforum Holiday Charity Auctions, this year in support of the Ronald McDonald House Charities of Spokane (www.rmhcspokane.org). Each Auction lasts 24 hours. Please follow and bid on all the auctions.

The 10th auction of the year is for a full set of Aesop's Fable's pocket squares from Vanda Fine Clothing. Please bid often and generously here

Fok and the Styleforum Team.

Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

SF vs. AAF

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by JLibourel, Jun 2, 2005.

1. Mr Checks

Mr Checks Senior Member

2. dorian

dorian Senior Member

LOL. Hilarious, Jon. Hilarious. RJMan, You hit it right on the head... that's exactly how I feel, and exactly why I feel increasingly put off by said posts (and posters). Almost everytime I go over there (what with the American Trad Nazis) I think of Sean Connery's line about venturing into Nazi Berlin: "We're pilgrims in an unholy land" - Dr. Jones, Sr. Â [​IMG] EDIT: Not that I have anything against American Trad; it's just that I have everything against American Trad Naziism, if that makes any sense. (Trying to make sense of that one myself) EDIT#2: above exactly as you say below. can't edit quickly enough it seems.

3. RJman

RJman Posse Member Dubiously Honored

I prefer Connery's more recent lines like, "I'll take Anal Bum Cover for $500" and the classic "BUCK FUTTER...." It's not the Trad per se that gets to me. It's just that in recent weeks I've sensed a disturbance in the Trad and seen too many misguided folks turn to the dark side of the Trad.

4. aybojs

aybojs Senior Member

Reasons why I prefer SF over AA (and have used it exclusively save for 1-2 posts):

1. Forum division: I like having a wide range of topics to talk about, and the general chat and social forums, for example, encourage members to do so with the added function of keeping off-topic threads (and the subsequent carping against them) that is bound to crowd a message board with a single discussion forum. I've read some great discussions and found a lot of helpful advice through the non-cloting forums here as well.

2. Moderation: I like that j and Steve (and now the new streetwear crew) act like bar owners who always hang out and take the time to chat with and befriend guests at their place. You never forget that they're in charge, but you also feel at home around them and can respect them as one of the guys. On AA, I don't get that feeling with malinda, who seems to be the primary moderator there. I don't disrespect her, as she's obviously intelligent and does a good job of policing the forums. But that's just how she comes across- as a policewoman; correct me if I'm wrong, but I've never seen her participate in any discussions other than to exert authority and chastize people. That comes across as excessively distant, and really turns me off.

3. SF does a good job of playing the happy medium in catering to all demographics. The younger-oriented streetwear and designer forums I've seen tend to be full of people with really shallow interests in clothing and more of a desire to turn it into a pissing contest. On AA, many of the posters actually know their clothing, but in general there is a similar air of condescension that appears towards younger posters with knowledge, as well as a tendency for threads to get hijacked into shallow class arguments. SF really maintains a good balance between knowledge and humility, and I appreciate it.

I actually think the AA:graduate seminar comparison is apt, based on my experience with the trend of creating college classes for more pop-culture-oriented material. The subject matter clearly lends itself to being discussed at a casual gathering of friends, but not in an academic curriculum, and trying to force it into the latter only injects a layer of self-important pretentiousness that undermines its appeal.

5. Alias

Alias Distinguished Member

Oh definitely. We never have discussions about class here. Maybe once in a while, but we wear what we do because we like it, no matter what our backgrounds may be. Now, the dude who came in here asking for advice on a prom outfit... I kind of felt sorry for him. [​IMG]

6. imageWIS

imageWIS Stylish Dinosaur

(dorian @ June 02 2005,20:41) Almost everytime I go over there I think of Sean Connery's line about venturing into Nazi Berlin: "We're pilgrims in an unholy land" - Dr. Jones, Sr. [​IMG]
    I prefer Connery's more recent lines like, "I'll take Anal Bum Cover for $500" and the classic "BUCK FUTTER...." It's not the Trad per se that gets to me. It's just that in recent weeks I've sensed a disturbance in the Trad and seen too many misguided folks turn to the dark side of the Trad.
    How can we find the chosen one who will bring balance to the Trad? It's too hard to count midiclorian levels over the net. [​IMG] Jon.

7. gorgekko

gorgekko Distinguished Member

(gorgekko @ June 02 2005,17:17) One could easily make the same points about the spotty claims about some of the members of SF.
    I am wounded.
    Well, except for you Chairman.

8. gorgekko

gorgekko Distinguished Member

(My apologies for consecutive posts)

Your post spoke for itself Alias, unless your comments were some Wild-esque witticism that I failed to comprehend. Clearly you felt strong enough to call a group "posers" who were likely "fat" and who didn't know how to dress. If your posts aren't meant to mean what they say, why make them?

9. dorian

dorian Senior Member

Originally Posted by RJMan,June 02 2005,23:48
    Almost everytime I go over there  I think of Sean Connery's line about venturing into Nazi Berlin: "We're pilgrims in an unholy land" - Dr. Jones, Sr.  [​IMG]
    I prefer Connery's more recent lines like, "I'll take Anal Bum Cover for $500" and the classic "BUCK FUTTER...." Â It's not the Trad per se that gets to me. Â It's just that in recent weeks I've sensed a disturbance in the Trad and seen too many misguided folks turn to the dark side of the Trad.

How can we find the chosen one who will bring balance to the Trad? It's too hard to count midiclorian levels over the net. Â [​IMG] Jon.
    The chosen one must be found by counting the number of stripes on the rep tie. Only then, when the chosen one is found and trained to resist the Dark Side of the Trad, will the balance be restored. Only then.... EDIT: [​IMG] change to  [​IMG]

10. mack11211

mack11211 Distinguished Member

Malinda is the last name. Andy is the first name. It's a dude. His picture is on the homepage of his forum, Ask Andy About Clothes, thus AAAC.

yours in Brooklyn,

mack11211

11. aybojs

aybojs Senior Member

But that's just how she comes across- as a policewoman; correct me if I'm wrong
    Malinda is the last name. Andy is the first name. It's a dude. His picture is on the homepage of his forum, Ask Andy About Clothes, thus AAAC. yours in Brooklyn, mack11211
    Heh, my bad. I'd heard other people refer to Malinda as "she" so I thought I had it. So are there two seperate accounts for Andy? I'm really confused now. Edit: and I'll confess to not having read much of the front page, since the layout is a little awkward and most of the how-to material is pretty much available in numerous SF threads. Edit2: I just recalled that Andy of "ask Andy" has the last name Gilchrist. Malinda is not Andy after all (as FIH mentioned below). Edit3 (I'll stop after this): At any rate, I think this confusion reinforces my point as to why it isn't a good idea to have a moderator who isn't an established and familiar peer of the populace to whom he/she in charge of.

12. Tokyo Slim

Tokyo Slim In Time Out

(LA Guy @ June 02 2005,15:42) ... Fear of the Asian man's prowess.....
    prowess = female prow
    [​IMG]

13. Alias

Alias Distinguished Member

What, so you think I believe AAAC is completely composed of such people?

Listen, when I read posts from such sartorial geniuses as Film Noir Buff (English suits sux.) and flannel (why are Windsor's pants so baggy), I can call them whatever I want to call them. But I find it hard to take such posters seriously.

That isn't to say that AAAC doesn't have its share of great posters. If it wasn't for AAAC, I probably would have never found SF.

14. FIHTies

FIHTies Distinguished Member

But that's just how she comes across- as a policewoman; correct me if I'm wrong
    Malinda is the last name. Andy is the first name. It's a dude. His picture is on the homepage of his forum, Ask Andy About Clothes, thus AAAC. yours in Brooklyn, mack11211
    Close but no Ceeeeeeggaaaarrrr... Hereby corrected. Andy is Andy Gilchrist. He happens to be married to a Malinda but that isnt the Malinda whom is to be feared... Of course as mutiple personality disorder is common when we deal with clothing your possibility could also be true but dems da facts.

15. mack11211

mack11211 Distinguished Member

Who is the Malinda-to-be-feared then?  I am now vexed.

yours in another part of the BK,

mack11211

EDIT: OIC. AAAC lists moderators as "Andy, Malinda" but Andy and Malinda are separate persons.  Yes?