1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

SF vs. AAF

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by JLibourel, Jun 2, 2005.

1. JLibourel

JLibourel Senior member

I perused with interest the "Welcome Back" thread. It was interesting to me how many posters expressed a strong preference for the Style Forum over the Ask Andy Forum. When I started lurking on these fora somewhat over a year ago, there seemed to be a consensus that the Style Forum was for a younger, more fashion-forward set while the Andy Forum was for a more mature, high-end buyer group.

In the past year, however, I note that there is a large crossover. Many of the regulars here are also regulars on the Andy Forum. Honestly, I don't see a great deal of difference these days. Personally, I am much more interested in the topic and the ensuing thread than the particular forum it appears on.

I will agree that the American Trad thing has been overdone. I'm really not that into sack suits, Alden cordovans, button downs with a suit and whale pants, anyway.

Briefly, I enjoy both fora, don't have a strong allegiance to one over the other and like the fact that when one is down, we usually can divert ourselves with the other. How do the rest of you feel?

2. MilanoStyle

MilanoStyle Senior member

AF is just pain in the ass to use.

3. dorian

dorian Senior member

The American trad thing has nearly killed AA for me... the repetition of the subject, the non-stop posting and the annoying manner of American trad proponents are...argh... ANNOYING. [​IMG] okay, I'm done now... [​IMG]

4. Dakota rube

Dakota rube Senior member

A bit better than yesterday, all day vomiting for
    After reading the topic title I was sort of hoping for a street fight ala the Sharks vs. the Jets, but alas... [​IMG]

5. Roy

Roy Senior member

I think SF is quite a lot of American Trad also. To me at least it seems that AAF is more about the product, rather than focusing on a certain style.

6. StevenRocks

StevenRocks Senior member

SF and AAF aren't that much alike, in my opinion.

7. dumadiscount

dumadiscount Well-Known Member

I prefer SF because, mainly:- 1.\tStreetwear forum on here. 2. \tEasy to use and peruse [​IMG]

8. scnupe7

scnupe7 Senior member

I agree

9. Tokyo Slim

Tokyo Slim Senior member

We are better looking, smell nicer, and also had higher GPA's in school than those "other guys" Not to mention the obvious "inseam differential" ours are bigger. [​IMG]

10. LA Guy

LA Guy Opposite Santa Staff Member Admin Moderator

Tokyo is completely correct. And I think the reason for the latter statement is that there are a lot more Asians on this board. You know why we've been getting only Fu Manchu and Charlie Chan roles in movies until recently? Fear of the Asian man's prowess. That's right ernest. You heard me right [​IMG]

11. Roy

Roy Senior member

Originally Posted by Tokyo Slim,June 02 2005,15:37
    We are better looking, smell nicer, and also had higher GPA's in school than those "other guys" Not to mention the obvious "inseam differential" ours are bigger. Â [​IMG]
    Tokyo is completely correct.  And I think the reason for the latter statement is that there are a lot more Asians on this board.  You know why we've been getting only Fu Manchu and Charlie Chan roles in movies until recently?  Fear of the Asian man's prowess.  That's right ernest.  You heard me right  [​IMG]
    There is no Ernest on AAF. Is that a pro or con? I can not make up my mind [​IMG]

12. Sustanon 250

Sustanon 250 Member

After the establishment of the StreetWear forum on SF, I think both SF and AA are about the same...

13. RJman

RJman Senior member Dubiously Honored

ernest used to be on AAAC .  I think he found us too boring.

14. faustian bargain

faustian bargain Senior member

prowess = female prow

15. LA Guy

(LA Guy @ June 02 2005,15:42) ... Â Fear of the Asian man's prowess.....
    prowess = female prow
    Nice. I don't understand what the hell you're talking about, but nice.

16. Panzeraxe

Panzeraxe Senior member

I think the 2 fora are essentially the same, now that the riff-raff have been shafted over to the Streetwear forum [​IMG] Panzer

17. Panzeraxe

Panzeraxe Senior member

That's the one key advantage that SF holds - ernest.. Does j have him on contract? Maybe Andy should get someone like manton on contract - or that dandy wildcard grayson?

Panzer

18. Kaga

Kaga Senior member

If my memory serves me correctly, the Forum has been down. I am glad to see that it has been restored. LAGuy-san, I had a comment in the Movies thread similar to what you posted. Are we thinking in the same direction?

19. faustian bargain

faustian bargain Senior member

(faustian bargain @ June 02 2005,16:20)
    ... Fear of the Asian man's prowess.....
    prowess = female prow
    Nice. I don't understand what the hell you're talking about, but nice.
    yeah i dunno what it means either. it sounds vaguely insulting though. and i formatted it like ernest, i hope that didn't pass unnoticed. [​IMG]

20. LA Guy

(LA Guy @ June 02 2005,15:42) You know why we've been getting only Fu Manchu and Charlie Chan roles in movies until recently?  Fear of the Asian man's prowess.  That's right ernest.  You heard me right  [​IMG]
    If my memory serves me correctly, the Forum has been down. Â I am glad to see that it has been restored. LAGuy-san, I had a comment in the Movies thread similar to what you posted. Â Are we thinking in the same direction?
    Hai Kaga-san.