• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

SF Secrets to Great Deals

agbassano

Reaction score
OK, I'm a total noob here
wink.gif

But what are the SF secrets to great deals? It seems everyone scores big and eschews Ebay etc.

What are your secrets?

ANY help would be greatly appreciated!

Philip1978

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The secret is waste lots of time looking and waiting.

osc

Reaction score
Originally Posted by DrCool1978
The secret is waste lots of time looking and waiting.

+1 - Do a search and find all the places SFers shop at, then research what you like and look out for it everyday (some of those sites only have 1 day sales) - patience is key

Nataku

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm assuming the guys who get good deals on eBay search daily for "buy-it-now" items where the seller has no clue what he has, ie: Kiton suit buy-it-now for $150. Some must also page through hundreds of pages looking for that one mis-spelled or poorly advertised item.

Non-online shopping takes a lot of work, a lot of gas ($) and exploring. You're in NYC, so you're probably better off than those of us elsewhere. You've got a great public transportation service and lots of high-end stores to send their overstock and past-season goods to discount stores. You also have many thrift stores that probably get a ****-ton of high-end stuff. The bad part you've got a lot more competition for the deals due to the large population of the city and their knowledge (most people here in Minnesota have no clue what Brioni and Kiton are. In NYC, I'm sure there are a lot more guys who are aware of their existance and their quality-level)

antirabbit

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
What they said.
Honestly, the best advice is to learn and remember as much as you can about labels, brands, and construction.
Several times I have purchased based on how well something was made, not knowing it was a spectacular find, and they were.
Education is key.

alliswell

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Also - know your size in everything. You'll need to know what your size in the Vass U last is, so that when a pair goes on sale in B&S you'll be able to act.

DocHolliday

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
For me, it's not that hard or time consuming. I check eBay once a day, visit my local discount stores when I feel like it, and check out Yoox/STP/etc. now and then. I often check B&S several times per day, but the cumulative time required is less than 10 minutes, I'd guess.

If you don't like bargain hunting, I guess it would be a chore. But I find the thrill of the hunt most of the fun.

dfagdfsh

Professional Style Farmer
Reaction score
Doing 'personal favors' for the SA.

Let me put it this way: bring condoms.

lee_44106

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Teger
Doing 'personal favors' for the SA.

Let me put it this way: bring condoms.

Ha, I knew it!

All you guys on the streetwear section who like tighty jeans are the ****!

Mr. Moo

Boxercise Toughguy
Reaction score
Originally Posted by DocHolliday
For me, it's not that hard or time consuming. I check eBay once a day, visit my local discount stores when I feel like it, and check out Yoox/STP/etc. now and then. I often check B&S several times per day, but the cumulative time required is less than 10 minutes, I'd guess.

If you don't like bargain hunting, I guess it would be a chore. But I find the thrill of the hunt most of the fun.

This is exactly how I do it.

SwedishFish

Reaction score
I'd also add that risk taking is necessary, especially when buying online. I have gotten some absolute steals off ebay, but I've also experienced a few fiascos. Right now I'm waiting on a suit that--if it fits--may be my best purchase ever, but the measurements stated by the ebay seller has me worrying that I might be in for an unpleasant surprise. I agree with Doc that the thrill of the hunt is the most fun.

grimslade

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Ask us again when you have 4,000 posts. Noobs don't get to learn the real secrets.

babygreenspots

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Try Ina's. They have two locations in Nolita. Also, Gentlemen's Resale on east 81st Street. Also, Tokyo 7, right south of St. Mark's.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Forum statistics

Threads