SF Punk Rock thread

Discussion in 'Entertainment, Culture, and Sports' started by Get Smart, Apr 15, 2008.

1. JohnnyLaw

JohnnyLaw Senior member

Awesome. Good call on Long Tall Shorty. I found their Myspace page (what band doesn't have one nowadays?) and it's definitely my kind of stuff. I can pick up the 1970's Boy album from Ricochet Sound in Montreal. Good choice?

I will check out the others as well.

2. :David

:David Member

And although they aren't "punk/hardcore," a couple indie bands I never tire of:

Boys Night Out (early CDs)
    Broken Social Scene
    Cursive
    Interpol
    The Faint
    The Mars Volta

The Paperchase

Only good thing to come out of this thread...

BSS fall into the category of phenomenal Canadian musicians (Arcade Fire, DFA79, Holy Fuck, Tokyo Police Club...), and the other bolds are just all EPIC.

3. Guy Burgess

Guy Burgess Senior member

I'd contest that those bands shouldn't be mentioned in this thread at all. Why don't you go start an SF indie thread if you want to talk about Broken Social Scene and The Faint.

4. Get Smart

Get Smart Don't Crink

Good choice?

yea that should be good....I'm sure the tracks are all on the discography. LTS came out with a recent record which isnt that bad, but it's far from the "1970s Boy" era songs

I'd contest that those bands shouldn't be mentioned in this thread at all. Why don't you go start an SF indie thread if you want to talk about Broken Social Scene and The Faint.

I like Interpol, but yea...if your taste runs towards Mars Volta and BSS, yer def in the wrong thread [​IMG]

5. JohnnyLaw

JohnnyLaw Senior member

Time to revive this thread.

Lately, I've been really into the Okmoniks. Garagey pop/punk with lots of organ and a girl singer. Super lo-fi. The LP I have is recorded in mono, 33 rpm and they put all of the songs on the same side.

The Okmoniks - Teenage Timebomb

6. planetofsound

planetofsound Well-Known Member

Time to revive this thread.

Lately, I've been really into the Okmoniks. Garagey pop/punk with lots of organ and a girl singer. Super lo-fi. The LP I have is recorded in mono, 33 rpm and they put all of the songs on the same side.

The Okmoniks - Teenage Timebomb

great band! tons of fun. the 7"s are really great too -- but even more lo-fi than the LP.

7. Get Smart

Get Smart Don't Crink

JLaw, you need to check out this band from Arizona.

Garagey punk with organs and chick (super HOT) singer. Seen them live a few times and they have a full length that you'd prolly dig

The Love Me Nots

8. Get Smart

Get Smart Don't Crink

I've been listening to a lot of French Oi lately, especially The Veros which I brought up before but they're one of my faves so here's another song from em

9. JohnnyLaw

JohnnyLaw Senior member

Good stuff, Get Smart.

I recently picked up the Des Jeunes Gens Modernes LP, which is a compilation of late 70s - early 80s French post-punk/cold wave stuff, put out by a couple of labels in collaboration with Agnès B.. I'd say I really like about half of the tracks. It's definitely artsier than most stuff I listen to and there are lots of electronic elements but it's worth a listen.

10. JohnnyLaw

JohnnyLaw Senior member

If you like catchy hardcore, you will love this - Sacred Shock.

I picked up their demo and it's awesome. Texas band with members of Army of Jesus, who I had the opportunity of seeing a few years ago and who were pretty good even though the PA was blown and there were basically no vocals.

11. Get Smart

Get Smart Don't Crink

speaking of catchy HxC, I love this song by Betrayed, Light in the Dark. Band is Aram from Champion on vox, Todd from Carry On/Terror on guitar, Greg from Carry On/Knife Fight on bass, and the drummer from Champion

and one of the forefathers of "melodic hardcore"...Verbal Assault

this is awesome, footage of Dag Nasty with shawn brown on vox!!!

I was actually at this Dag Nasty gig in '87...I remember we were right at the front, and this looks like the entire set filmed so maybe I can find myself on there haha....what a trip!!

12. tiecollector

tiecollector Senior member

If you like catchy hardcore, you will love this - Sacred Shock.

I picked up their demo and it's awesome. Texas band with members of Army of Jesus, who I had the opportunity of seeing a few years ago and who were pretty good even though the PA was blown and there were basically no vocals.

"Planet Decay" kinda sounds like "Know It All" by Lagwagon but I'm not a fan of the vocals for hardcore punk.

13. Get Smart

Get Smart Don't Crink

I'm surprised how many shows we used to go to are on youtube

here's a Bad Religion show from 1991, right after No Control was put out iirc

and talk about RARE footage....here's a band I hate now, but I used to like back then. This is from 1987, No Doubt, with Gwen and the original guy singer who died (suicide iirc)....we were at this show and they were great back then, there was a mini rivalry with No Doubt and San Diego ska band Donkey Show, since they both had good chick singers, tho I liked Donkey Show more than No Doubt

14. JohnnyLaw

JohnnyLaw Senior member

Can I Say is probably my favourite Dag Nasty song. Good stuff.

15. TheFusilliJerry

TheFusilliJerry Senior member

My favorite punk bands:

70s - The Clash(The only band that matters), Sex Pistols, Ramones
    80s - Minor Threat, Rites of Spring, Embrace, Fugazi
    90s - The Offspring, NOFX, Green Day(not 'American Idiot')
    00s - Bear v Shark(more of an 80s-Rites-Of-Spring tribute/revival sort of thing than a whole different style of music...)

I would say that punk got worse over the years. The Clash are definately my favorite band of all time, and in my opinion, the most talented. They made songs incorporating ska, reggae, disco, pop, rap, gospel, country, and R&B music into punk roots, and it all sounded good.