• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

SF Punk Rock thread

maxhof

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Get Smart
Other French bands I thought of when you mentioned Skinkorps, PG...is Warrior Kids and Tolbiac Toads, both really melodic French Oi bands. and I totally forgot my fave french Oi/Rac band of all time, 9 eme Panzer Symphonie.

oh yea, and we saw Stiff Little Fingers play last nite, great show!

Didnt know that, but i actually saw Warrior Kids in Stockholm a couple of years ago, the show wasnt really anything special mostly due to them not looking like they enjoyed themselves.

I have all my cd's on my ipod, i have kept all vinyl but rarely listen to them, it is just easier plugging in the ipod.

Get Smart

Don't Crink
Reaction score
^^ are you located in Sweden?

I like a lot of Swedish bands (and other scandinavian ones too)
-Perkele is one of my faves
-Steelcapped Strength
-Headhunters
-Enharjarna
-Midgaard Soner
-Pitbull Farm
-Agent Bulldogg

maxhof

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Get Smart
^^ are you located in Sweden?

I like a lot of Swedish bands (and other scandinavian ones too)
-Perkele is one of my faves
-Steelcapped Strength
-Headhunters
-Enharjarna
-Midgaard Soner
-Pitbull Farm
-Agent Bulldogg

Yep, i live in Sweden but in San Diego on vacation right now however. I know most of the bands listed and good friends of ex singers in Agent Bulldogg and Midgårds Sönder. Ive seen Perkele probably dozen times but not really a fave of mine, but i like that they are real active or atleast used to be with recording and touring.

You seem to be well wandered in punk music for lack of better word.

You ever play in a band?

Reaction score
re: Sweden, i used to listen to wolfpack/wolfbrigade and still dig totalitar. was into the umea bands like DS-13 for a while but am over it.

Get Smart

Don't Crink
Reaction score
Originally Posted by maxhof
You seem to be well wandered in punk music for lack of better word.

You ever play in a band?

Yea I'm one of those idiots that actually made the scene "a way of life" and not just a passing hobby.

Played in a few bands over the years, a couple hardcore-punk bands, an oi band, a mod-powerpop band. And sucked in every one of them haha!!

Get Smart

Don't Crink
Reaction score
speaking of French punk...

It's amazing what's on youtube these days

Here's footage of french band The Veros doing a cover of UK band The Strike's "gang warfare". a bit sloppy but awesome!

Reaction score
the girl in the vicious is beautiful.

henry fiat rules. crazy band.

Johnny Amiga

Reaction score
Originally Posted by JohnnyLaw
I don't have any mp3s really, except for some that I got off of obscurities blogs like Killed by Death, 7 Inch Punk or Something I Learned Today (to get my Terveet Kadet fix and stuff like that)
icon_gu_b_slayer[1].gif

Saw Terveet Kädet play a couple of weeks ago. Not really certain what to think about the gig (maybe 'cause I was horrendously drunk, I remember having a good time though) or the fact that they're still playing, but their 80's work was seriously amazing.

Oma Koloni "7 \\o/

JohnnyLaw

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Speaking of Scandinavian punk, I'm really into the Danish Kick'N'Punch records / Ungdomshuset scene from the last couple of years. Bands like:

No Hope for the Kids
(Probably the band I obsessed about the longest)
Gorilla Angreb (automatically on Get Smart's favourite bands list on account of cute singer)
Young Wasteners
Amdi Petersens ArmÃ
Asbest
Hjertestop

I discovered them late in the game and only managed to pick up the later KNP releases like Tristess' Bara Rock N Roll and Hjertestop's Ã…Ã¥rh ****...Det er HjerteStop, but I picked up some rereleases on Feral Ward. I got lucky and picked up the older Kobenhavn i Ruiner comp from a Montreal distro a while back.

I haven't heard anything from any of these bands though in the last year or two, since KNP records closed shop and the Danish government bulldozed the Ungdomshuset.

About Terveet Kadet, the early 80's 7"s are amazing. I have the tracks from Rock laahausta vastaan and II and they are some of the best hardcore songs ever. I do know that they were a pretty prolific band afterwards, but I don't know what the newer stuff sounds like.

binge

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
#1 record I was happy to find 20 years later in a box in my parents' garage.

Get Smart

Don't Crink
Reaction score
good stuff JLaw....never got into too much scandinavian punk other than sketchy oi bands so it's nice to have someone edit my list of bands to check out

speaking of swedish punk, picked up The Vicious "alienated" cd....good stuff, reminds me of The Briefs in a lot of songs, which is a good thing

"Out of Step" was my soundtrack to high school, I probably listened to that almost every day before class during the 80s

JohnnyLaw

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I for one could use some recommendations for oi bands to listen to.

I like my punk simple, catchy and raw and I imagine that there must be a lot of this in the oi scene, but I have a hard time getting past the whole working class / every song about my brothers and the fight or drinking at the pub stuff.

I am a big fan of Hard Skin though, which I understand a lot of skinheads don't like because they're so irreverent and sometimes ridiculous (with such hits as Make my Tea and Two Chords, Two Fingers). I love the sense of humour and the songs are killer.

There must be some more catchy oi out there that doesn't take itself too seriously (no offence meant if you do take it seriously). So school me.

Get Smart

Don't Crink
Reaction score
JLaw....

yea I dont like the typical "running down the backstreets and going down the pub while runnin riot with the lads" type oi songs either

here some stuff you may like:

Long Tall Shorty...they were a '79 revival mod band, a bit punkier than most other groups of their kind/era. That discography I linked ($18 at amazon marketplace) is awesome, no sound clips but I am 100% positive you would dig it. It's really catchy and simple-raw punk-powerpop

Purple Hearts "beat That" is another one in the same style....same era of mod revival. Avoid any other releases from them, this is the ONLY one to get. Here's a youtube clip that has my 2 fave songs in one clip

My other fave mod revival band of that era is The Chords...I used to cover this song in a powerpop band I was in. Their discography is great, but unfortunately not avail on amazon right now. The "So far away" record is the next best thing.

For oi bands, a lot of the records I'd recommend are really hard to get nowadays

but you can't go wrong with The Templars

Return of Jacques deMolay is their debut record and is solid...a bit "skinhead oi oi" in places but really good stuff

Omne Datum Optimum is one of my faves from them and a good starting point (even tho it's a later record)

Outremer is a good recent album

Phase 2 has some great songs but the recording is really raw

Here's a song off Phase 2 called Freedom has its Price for a good sample of their sound

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 88 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 88 37.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 38 16.2%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.7%

Forum statistics

Threads