1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

SF, please help find me these ties!

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Holdfast, Jul 16, 2012.

1. Holdfast

Holdfast Senior member

I have two favourite - but now sadly ancient - ties that desperately need replacing. I've been on the lookout over the past year or two but have failed to find the near-exact replacements I'm after. They're not particularly odd ties, and yet I just can't find them. I'm hoping someone on SF might have seen one of these on their travels and be able to suggest a source please.

Price is irrelevant (as long as within the usual tie spectrum) and quality must be decent. Must be new, not second-hand, and I'd prefer RTW simply because it's easier & quicker, but I'd be willing to go bespoke if the process could be conducted without an in-person visit, in fluent English and with someone knowledgeable enough to deliver a high quality product and find an accurate match for what I want. I don't care about handwork, sevenfolds, different linings or any other similar pixie-dust, just that the end product must tie a nice/standard, not overlarge, knot with either a FIH or half-windsor. Oh, and standard tie length at most (no long/xl ties).

Your mission, then, should you be kind enough to accept it, is to locate the following:

1) 3.125" to 3.5", printed, finely woven silk (no obvious/tactile weave from a mid-distance; think Hermes or Ferragamo type finish rather than an old English reppe club tie), navy tie with white spots (not pindots; decent sized spots without being polka), and the spots must be arranged in diagonals not grids. i.e. like this tie but with diagonal not grid arrangement on the spots

2) 3.125" to 3.5", printed, finely woven silk (no large twill/reppe/jacquard/etc), navy tie with red pindots (not spots or polka), again arranged diagonally, but quite closely. i.e. something like this in terms of dot size/spacing but with red dots in diagonals and on a finer background weave.

Any ideas, SF? No prize on offer for locating either of them, except for my eternal gratitude of course! Thank you! :)

Last edited: Jul 16, 2012
  2. SpooPoker

SpooPoker Internet Bigtimer and Most Popular Man on Campus Dubiously Honored Affiliate Vendor

I have a Charvet that is verrrrry close to your description of the second one, but 1. Its preowned, and 2. I can't remember if its grid diagonally or boxed. Ill check in the AM.

3. brokencycle

brokencycle Senior member

Last edited: Jul 16, 2012
  4. Holdfast

Holdfast Senior member

I trust you with your descriptions, Spoo: if it's genuinely in an near-new condition and matches the rest of the specification, I'm definitely interested. Thank you for looking.

Thank you for looking.

The first one is a grenadine, so not what I'm after. I came across the other two myself when searching, but both have too prominent a background weave. I want a really smooth silk.

You'd think it should be at Brooks, but it isn't. Last time I looked they had a prominent reppe background weave, and even then, the dots weren't white (they had several navy/othercolour ones though).

5. rob

rob Senior member

Will of ASW as a Drakes blue with Churchill spots that may work.

Rob

6. Holdfast

Holdfast Senior member

Thank you for looking. Sadly, that one's a woven and not a print.

(it's also ecru not white on the navy, which also is not really what I want but a very pale ecru might just work depending on the shade I guess).

7. Jellybean

Jellybean Active Member

8. NOBD

NOBD Senior member

That's David Hober, from Sam Hober. I don't know whether he has the fabric you're looking for, but if you can't find it OTR, I'd ask David.

Hm, the link doesn't seem to work, maybe like this:

www.samhober.com

Last edited: Jul 17, 2012
  9. Mariooo

Mariooo Senior member

I would do the same :fistbump:

10. Holdfast

Holdfast Senior member

But it's almost exactly right in every other respect; thank you very much for finding it.

I've just emailed them for info re: width. Fingers crossed! I have a sneaking suspicion it will end up being a traditional 3.75" at least though...

Sorry about the redundant link; someone must have bought the Drakes tie that I linked to by way of near-example.

Last edited: Jul 17, 2012
  11. brokencycle

I could split the difference with you (a navy plain weave with white pindots) with JAB's new signature platinum ties. They "retail" for $200 and are allegedly handmade.

12. Holdfast

Holdfast Senior member

13. NOBD

NOBD Senior member

Great: a thread with a beginning and an end. (The end being a picture with Holdfast with a smile (duh) wearing the recommended tie. :))

Edit: typo.

Last edited: Jul 18, 2012
  14. SpooPoker

SpooPoker Internet Bigtimer and Most Popular Man on Campus Dubiously Honored Affiliate Vendor

H, I got the tie out of the archives - its a red pin dot but its laid out horizontally, not on the diagonal. If you're interested, PM and Ill get you a pic.

15. Holdfast

Holdfast Senior member

[​IMG] u know it [​IMG]
    Thanks for looking, but grid arrangement is a dealbreaker as I'm after a like-for-like replacement this time. I'll just keep my eyes peeled!

Last edited: Jul 19, 2012
  16. Jellybean

Jellybean Active Member

Glad I could help. I'll look forward to seeing it in the WAYWRN thread!:)

17. Holdfast

Holdfast Senior member

18. brokencycle

damn, thought I had it.

19. Holdfast

Holdfast Senior member

I'm very, very fussy... [​IMG]

But I really appreciate the time you took anyway.