• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

SF Music Club

Marslyr

Reaction score
In, if acceptable, if not I'll just follow along probably.
smile.gif

Dedalus

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by xchen
I'll make a new thread in a little while. I'm on my Blackberry right now.
Set a good precedent, the fate of this music club rests on your shoulders!

MetroStyles

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
If I may, I suggest the following format.

Basic details (title, artist, year, genre)
Image of Cover
Brief overview (via critic/AMG/Amazon/etc.)
User picks for best tracks to get started with and any other personal commentary

I also think it makes sense for people to recommend albums they already know and enjoy, and have the rest of posters learn about it, rather than to pick something that no one knows about. This way someone can lead the discussion and make sure we are only listening to really good quality albums.

Thoughts?

milosz

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
And throw that ***** up on Rapidshare/etc..

MetroStyles

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Example Template:
---------------------------------------------
Album: Wowee Zowee
Artist: Pavement
1995, Matador
Indie Pop/Rock

1253553654-woweezow.jpg

AMG Review:
With its vast array of musical styles, Wowee Zowee isn't as accessible as Crooked Rain, Crooked Rain or as immediate as the bracing, noisy pop of Slanted & Enchanted. Pavement never abandon their warped pop aesthetic, they simply expand it, incorporating elements of folk-rock, English music hall, soul, jazz, country, as well as adding asides to such contemporaries as Suede ("We Dance"), Ween ("Brinx Job"), and Stereolab ("Half a Canyon"). Alternating between majestic epics like "Grounded" and ragged narratives like "Rattled by the Rush" and "Father to a Sister of Thought," to song fragments like "Brinx Job" and the punkish "Serpentine Pad," the record might seem disjointed at first. After repeated listens, the songs play off each other, creating a dense collage of '90s rock & roll that recasts the past and present into one rich, kaleidoscopic, and blissfully cryptic world view.

Personal notes:
Some of the most accessible songs to get started with are tracks:
2. Rattled by the Rush - as catchy as this band gets
5. Grounded - widely considered one of the group's better songs
14. Fight This Generation - shows off the indie pop angle (first half) and the darker, heavier part angle (second half)
17. Half a Canyon - Wonderful guitar playing and a heavy metal-tinged outro that'll make grandma headbang

lemmywinks

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Actually I'll keep sign ups open so that we have each person recommend one album for each week until 2011, then in late December we can start sign ups so we'll have about 52 slots, 1 for each week of the year. Since I started a little later we have 51 spots in total so 51 albums and 1's already recommended. This thread will serve as a sign up thread or out of album discussion thread and also as a way to track everyone and all the albums.

chronoaug

Boston Hipster (Dropkick Murphy)
Reaction score
Why doesn't lemmywinks just adjust the OP with something like this 1- jan 14th-21st xchen: Hopspice by The Antlers link http://www.styleforum.net/showpost.p...1&postcount=39 It links to the exact post about the album xchen made. That way you don't clog up the entertainment forum. Would be an easy setup thatway for lemmy to update

mangal

Reaction score
Hey,the books were very interesting, just check out the details here njoy u will surely enjoy and be useful

cheessus

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
i want to sign on

lemmywinks

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Some people wanted separate threads for separate albums so I don't know. If there isn't enough discussion for each album to warrant a thread for each album then I might think about keeping it in the thread. Also everyone that was interested I have added to the list.

Anyway after each week I'll run the random number generator and then I'll send a pm to that person so that he can prepare for the album he wants to recommend. This week it was me so yay.

Piroshky

Reaction score
Originally Posted by lemmywinks
Some people wanted separate threads for separate albums so I don't know. If there isn't enough discussion for each album to warrant a thread for each album then I might think about keeping it in the thread. Also everyone that was interested I have added to the list.

Anyway after each week I'll run the random number generator and then I'll send a pm to that person so that he can prepare for the album he wants to recommend. This week it was me so yay.

Ha that sounds like a good way to handle it. Yah, I think it'd be possible to contain it in this thread, and just re-edit the OP linking to that week's album's post.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Forum statistics

Threads