• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

SF Music Club - The Albums

Tokyo Slim

In Time Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by milosz
Chris Isaak just records the same song over and over. But it's an awesome song, so I'm okay with that.

AC/DC too.

indesertum

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
gossip girl is a tv show with blake lively, leighton meester, taylor momsen. basically the only reason why a guy would watch the show. unless he be of the homosexualistic orientationism and even then a very good reason to watch.

Dedalus

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Everything resolved while I was asleep.
angry.gif

breakz

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Giving this a listen now. Is it too late to get in on the club?

Marslyr

Reaction score
While I don't have the musical experience to go over this album the way you guys have, it wasn't one of my favorite albums of all time, but I did enjoy listening to it.
I definitely joined in here to expose myself to more music, and it's interesting to see what you guys have to say about it.

thats.mana

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by breakz
Giving this a listen now. Is it too late to get in on the club?

Post in the sticky.

So who's next?

lemmywinks

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hey guys, cross post from the main thread.

Sorry my bad guys I was out for most of the day.

Anyway I decided to recommend an album that is kind of different from some of that indie soft hipster stuff we got last week. I've been bumping that album a lot the past week though.

I don't know what the procedure is right now but I'll keep the recommendation here.

This week I recommend

Brother Ali - The Undisputed Truth

brother-ali-truth-cover.jpg

Brother Ali, the albino MC signed to Rhymesayers, made a lot of noise when his debut, Shadows on the Sun, came out in 2004, and his follow-up, The Undisputed Truth, just proves that there was a reason for all the acclaim. Ali shows himself to be one of the most talented MCs in contemporary hip-hop, in both the underground or mainstream. Unlike other conscious rappers, he isn't so concerned about proselytizing, about making a point, that he forgets that an important part of hip-hop is having fun and dancing, at least for those few minutes, for those looped 16 bars. Producer Ant only helps complete this undertaking, making old-school-influenced musical beats that taste of funk and rock while still sounding current and accessible. It's a throwback to De La Soul's heyday, when smart, reflective rhymes were just as important as swagger and having fun. Even in the most vitriolic songs on the album (and it's long, clocking in at just over an hour with 15 tracks), Ali never comes across as heavy-handed or preachy. On the bitingly critical "Uncle Sam Goddamn," for example, the MC spits lines like "Talking bout you don't support a crackhead/What you think happens to the money from your taxes?/Sh*t the government's the addict" and "Three out of 12 months your salary pay for that madness" as warm, bouncy bluesy guitar and basslines -- traditional American music -- are picked out and repeated, while on the reggae-inspired "Freedom Ain't Free" he slows down his delivery, which lets the strength of his words come through without him having to sound angry or shout. Ali's a supremely honest rapper, and his sincerity is palpable as he talks about the problems he's faced, the struggles he's overcome, his hopes for the future, his confidence in his own talents. The Undisputed Truth is an album that proves unequivocally Brother Ali's verbal superiority, and the fact that his practiced, good-natured delivery, his intricate, intelligent rhymes, are among the best in the game.
Probably one of my favorite rap albums ever. I had a pretty big rap phase back in 2008 but I have moved on from that phase but Brother Ali is someone that I keep going back to and this album is what got me hooked onto him.

milosz

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Undie rap, the only genre easier to make fun of than hipster indie.
lol8[1].gif

Tokyo Slim

In Time Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by lemmywinks
This week I recommend

So... is it your week, or is this just a general recommendation?

lemmywinks

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
It was my week. I think you guys missed it but what I have a list of everyone then I use a random number generator and after the album is recommended I give them a week's time to think of something. I'll post it in the thread to say who's up.

Dedalus

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by lemmywinks
This week I recommend

Sweet, I've always meant to check him out. I'm looking forward to this.
smile.gif

AntiHero84

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm only four songs into the album, but my heads been bobbing the whole time. Good pick.

TheIdler

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm really enjoying this one so far. Recognized the first song from Madden, but never listened to anything else by him...thanks for the rec.

Matt

ex-m@Triate
Reaction score
meh other than stuff that out between about 92 and 95, I'm not much of a hip hop person, so 3 songs in, this isn't doing much for me. I doubt I'll make it right through.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Staff online

Forum statistics