1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

SF Music Club, Take Two - The Albums

Discussion in 'Entertainment, Culture, and Sports' started by milosz, Feb 16, 2010.

1. indesertum

indesertum Senior member

Sorry. I have a suggestion if ya'll're willing:
    [​IMG]

Tanlines - Settings

(search "Tanlines Settings mediafire" in Google)

downloading this now.

i think matt's link is dead

2. driveslowk

driveslowk Senior member

Bilal is quite good.

3. indesertum

indesertum Senior member

yes he is. everything is super awesome, but his lyrics tend to be a little... cheesy, lovey dovey, sex machiney

4. thats.mana

thats.mana Senior member

Gave this a listen last night and enjoyed it. Because it's not what I normally listen to I probably won't be giving this another spin. I can hear Dre all over this record.

5. Dedalus

Dedalus Senior member

totally forgot about the thread Bilal - 1st Born Second (2001) [​IMG]
    As a fan of neo-soul, Dr. Dre, Dilla, and Philadelphia, I love this submission. I wish I had something more interesting to say about it, but I don't. It's just great [​IMG] EDIT: HAha, "Soul Sista" is so awkward, with the heavy man-breathing.

6. indesertum

indesertum Senior member

seriously ppl. step yo game up

7. Dedalus

Dedalus Senior member

I am next on the 14th, I will be timely.

8. phildo

phildo Senior member

I am next on the 14th, I will be timely.

yah right

9. indesertum

indesertum Senior member

10. Dedalus

Dedalus Senior member

I admit I forgot about this, but I have an excuse. I was out of town on business this week, and I got back on Thursday night. I took the day off on Friday to make up lost time with my son, but that is not my excuse. At the risk of being cool storied, here it is:

I went out for a jog Friday evening, a little before twilight just after a storm had passed. I figured I could squeeze in some high intensity before dark. As it got darker, I envisioned a scenario of a mugger holding up a jogger.

"Give me what you got."

"Sorry, I don't have anything."

"Give me your wedding ring."

"It's tungsten, it's not worth any money."

"Oh, you should have gone with gold or platinum. EMTs can't cut tungsten or titanium off your finger if it swells up, you don't want to lose a finger."

"Yeah, I know."

But what moron would mug a jogger? My neighborhood is safe anyways, not like the ghetto I moved out of.

I was running on the sidewalk under some trees, when I spotted four younger black males across the street. Two of them made their way over, and then I got a bad feeling.

"Yo, man, hold on."

I slowed to a stop.

"Give me what you got."

I saw him pull out a handgun, oh fuck. He pushed it right into my chest. He didn't even have the courtesy to point it at my head.

"Come on, give me what you got."

"Sorry man, I don't have anything."

"What'd you just drop?"

"Oh, it's just a sportswatch." I must have dropped my dollar store sportswatch out of surprise. What if they're angry that I don't have anything of value? Please god don't make me pay them in rape dollars, I have hemorrhoids.

The other two thugs make their way over across the street, and I'm half surrounded. I notice their hoods are up and their faces are covered. Realizing that I don't want to know what they look like and that I want them to know this, I look down at the ground.

"I'm not looking at you guys, I don't know what you look like."

"Calm down, man, calm down."

One of them hands me my sportswatch, and they run off. What, you don't need a sportswatch? Fuck you, my sportswatch doesn't need you. Not sure what to do, I head the opposite direction, away from my house. I just want to be away from them.

After some time passes, I start to head back home, when I spot a lone young black man emerging from where I was just mugged. I throw my hands up and turn around.

"Look man, I'm just trying to get home, I'm not looking for trouble."

He sounds confused, and I realize it's just a dude and I look really racist. After chatting a little with him about what just happened, I give up on going home and knock on a random door. An old lady comes to the door but just looks at me through the glass.

"Hi, I was just mugged, I was wondering if I could use your phone to call the police."

She tells me she'll do it for me and hobbles out of sight. The sky opens up, and the rain pours down on me. I should have picked a house with a porch. Her husband comes to the door, eyes me suspiciously, and then goes back to his television. The old lady comes back and asks me some questions through the glass to relay to the police, and I stand there drenched, awkwardly answering her questions.

The old lady tells me the police are on their way. She cracks open the door and hands me a hand towel. "Sorry," she says.

"Thanks. It's understandable." I realize that she might not have been apologizing for herself, but then the mugging was also understandable, so the ambiguity evens out.

The police arrive, and I describe the story and the stickup kids. Young, slim, black, male, average height, baggy clothing, hoods, masks. The police are sure to catch them from my description. An officer takes me home in the back of his car, recommending to me that I should carry some mace. Sure, and maybe a whistle too, that would have come in handy.

I won't lie, I'm a little proud that I had a gun in my chest and that I didn't cry like a little bitch and beg for my life, that I managed to stay calm and reasonable. Maybe next time I can use that badass line, "You think this is the first time I've had a gun pointed at me? You best think hard about what you're going to do next." And then they would hand me the gun and apologize.

That night really threw me out of my element, I don't even know what would make a 'good' submission right now. But, it's left me feeling gangsta so here's a non-obscure classic, Chronic 2001.

https://www.yousendit.com/download/d...U1BvQUpjR0E9PQ

11. Jekyll

Jekyll Senior member

That is a cool story, bro.

12. indesertum

indesertum Senior member

shiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiit. chronic. have not listened in awhile

13. StephenHero

StephenHero Senior member

14. Jekyll

Jekyll Senior member

Forgot about this. Will put something up shortly.

15. Jekyll

Jekyll Senior member

[​IMG]

http://rs475.rapidshare.com/files/16...Away__1972.rar

Couldn't really find much written about it online.

Here's Amazon...

...and the AV Club

16. AntiHero84

AntiHero84 Senior member

Quoted from the other thread...

I also didn't post mine, which was due a few weeks ago. I knew that I wanted to do Jawbreaker, but I couldn't decide on an album. This is probably cheating, but considering the thread has been abandoned...what the hell.

Let me know if the links don't work.

Jawbreaker's info on AllMusicGuide:

"Independently minded and adhering to the old-school D.I.Y. punk mentality, West Coast punk-pop trio Jawbreaker's street-smart -- yet poetic -- lyrics, spirited musicality, and marathon live shows put them a cut above contemporaries like Green Day and blink-182. After a series of EPs and singles, guitarist/singer Blake Schwarzenbach, bassist Chris Bauermeister, and drummer Adam Pfahler released the band's debut album, Unfun, in 1989. Independent label San Francisco Tupelo/Communion signed the group the following year, releasing Bivouac in 1991 and their breakthrough record, 24 Hour Revenge Therapy, in 1993.

As 1995 saw the first in a three-record deal with DGC, fans were split over the band's newfound success and move to a major label. But Jawbreaker were undeterred, releasing the influential Dear You, a powerhouse collection of punk, grunge, and emo that paved the way for groups like Jimmy Eat World and Dashboard Confessional. Sadly, the group disbanded in the late-'90s, leaving 2002's Etc., a collection of all of the group's non-album material, as their last will and testament. Dear You was reissued by Blackball in 2004.
    "

This album is my favorite...

[​IMG]

Download here.

AMG:

"More trials and tribulations than an average episode of Melrose Place, Jawbreaker continues to explore their personal struggles on their third album, fittingly titled 24 Hour Revenge Therapy. Continuing on the Jawbreaker tradition of poetic lyrics that provide a mental image to each song, the band deals with their endeavors through music instead of wallowing in them, making this record not entirely bleak. "Do You Still Hate Me," for example, has the persona dishing out the friction of a relationship gone sour through talking to the person in question: "I wrote you a letter/I heard it upset you/How can I do this better/We're getting older/But we're acting younger." Being critiqued and ostracized from their scene during the height of their popularity was another headache singer/songwriter Blake Schwarzenbach dealt with around the time this album was released (their previous album, Bivouac, provided them with a huge cult following). This no doubt inspired the song "Indictment," which talks about not caring what anyone thinks of their songwriting ("I just wrote the dumbest song/It's going to be a singalong/Our enemies will laugh and be pointing/It wont bother me, what the thoughtless are thinking"). Providing the perfect flow of temperamental pop to go along with these stories is proof enough that 24 Hour Revenge Therapy is the pivot of Jawbreaker's creative output."

But this is probably the most accessible to those unfamiliar with the band:

[​IMG]

Download here.

AMG:

"1995's Dear You finds Jawbreaker cleaning up and streamlining their punk-pop sound and coming up with a sleek, slick punk-grunge classic that relies as much on clever songwriting and restrained emotions as it does on the group's trademarked high-energy attack. From the opening chords of the anthemic "Save Your Generation," Blake Schwarzenbach's vocals are the star. He was coming off of throat surgery that robbed him of a lot of his vocal power but gave him a smoky intimate sound that gives the feeling that he is whispering right in your ear. On songs like "I Love You So Much It's Killing Us Both" or "Jet Black," he sounds wounded in a way that screaming could never convey. The album is a powerful mix of jumpy punk-pop like "Bad Scene," "Everybody's Fault," "Fireman," and the aching "Chemistry" and mid-tempo tracks like the amazing "Jet Black," "Million," and "Basilica that escapes being tied to the time of grunge-by-the-numbers by being melodic and heartfelt without going over the top, by being just punk enough to be real and just epic enough to rise above the often boringly earnest approach of too many punk bands. Along with Weezer's Blue Album, Dear You is one of the cornerstones upon which emo and late-'90s punk-pop were built. Certainly Jimmy Eat World wore out their copy, as Bleed American sounds like a less produced younger brother, and Dashboard Confessional's whole oeuvre sounds like a lesser version of Dear You's acoustic "Unlisted Track." Depending on how you feel about emo, there is either a lot to blame Jawbreaker for or be thankful for here. Either way, Dear You is one of the best rock records of the '90s and a fitting last testament to a great band."

17. Dedalus

Dedalus Senior member

Hell yes, Jawbreaker! How timely, I've been thinking about all the early/mid 90s emo lately since that Cap'n Jazz show. Fuckin' Jawbreaker, SDRE, Braid, Lifetime, really my favorite era of rock music.

18. AntiHero84

AntiHero84 Senior member

Hell yes, Jawbreaker! How timely, I've been thinking about all the early/mid 90s emo lately since that Cap'n Jazz show. Fuckin' Jawbreaker, SDRE, Braid, Lifetime, really my favorite era of rock music.

I only discovered Jawbreaker and Lifetime a few years ago, but they've easily become a couple my favorite bands. I'll have to investigate Sunny Day Real Estate a little further. Never heard of Braid, but I'll check them out too.