1. Styleforum Gives - Holiday Charity Auction 11: Any Three (3) Customized Ties from Vanda Fine Clothing

We are very proud to present this year's edition of the Styleforum Holiday Charity Auctions, this year in support of the Ronald McDonald House Charities of Spokane (www.rmhcspokane.org). Each Auction lasts 24 hours. Please follow and bid on all the auctions.

The 11th auction of the year is for any three customized ties from Vanda Fine Clothing. Please bid often and generously here

Fok and the Styleforum Team.

Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

SF member education level

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by mussel, Jun 30, 2006.

1. designprofessor

designprofessor Distinguished Member

Does art school really count as school?

Its a 4 year studio session with slide identification tests thrown in here and there[​IMG]

2. odoreater

odoreater Distinguished Member

Woah, why are doctorate and medical degrees such as a PhD (Philosophiae Doctor) and MD (Medicinae Doctor) in a different catagory than the JD (Juris Doctor), which is lumped in with MBA (Master of Business Administration) and MA (Master of Arts)? That makes no friggin sense and therefore I declare this poll invalid.

3. rdawson808

rdawson808 Distinguished Member

Woah, why are doctorate and medical degrees such as a PhD (Philosophiae Doctor) and MD (Medicinae Doctor) in a different catagory than the JD (Juris Doctor), which is lumped in with MBA (Master of Business Administration) and MA (Master of Arts)? That makes no friggin sense and therefore I declare this poll invalid.

You could argue that both the PhD and MD are terminal degrees while the JD is not (and was traditionally a Bachelors level degree). I would put MBA and JD in the same catagory, LLM and MA/MS in the same, and throw SJD in with PhD and MD. But that's just me.

bob

4. Quirk

Quirk Distinguished Member

I agree. And for that matter, why are such exalted institutions as Andover, Exeter and Lawrenceville lumped in with the likes of Ridgemont High? My 'lowly' prep school diploma certainly means more than a J.D. awarded by the State University at Bupkus! This poll is a travesty, I tell you! A travesty and a sham!
    [​IMG]

5. odoreater

You could argue that both the PhD and MD are terminal degrees while the JD is not (and was traditionally a Bachelors level degree). I would put MBA and JD in the same catagory, LLM and MA/MS in the same, and throw SJD in with PhD and MD. But that's just me.

bob

Actually, in law, the Juris Doctor degree is the terminal degree, just like the MD is the terminal degree in medicine. An SJD (doctor of juridical science) is an academic degree that some law schools offer and is not a step above the JD.

Someone with a JD getting a SJD is the same as someone with an MD getting a PhD in something like Internal Medicine. The MD is the highest professional degree in the medical field, but their are other academic degrees that physicians might be interested in, just like the JD is the highest professional degree in the legal field but their might be other academic degrees that lawyers might be interested in.

Since a JD is a doctoral level degree just like the PhD and the MD, I don't see why it makes more since to lump it in with the MBA and MA, which are Master level degrees. In fact, if anything the MD is more similar to the JD than it is to a PhD.

6. Renault78law

Renault78law Distinguished Member

Trust me, I'm a doctor.

7. rdawson808

Actually, in law, the Juris Doctor degree is the terminal degree, just like the MD is the terminal degree in medicine. An SJD (doctor of juridical science) is an academic degree that some law schools offer and is not a step above the JD.

Someone with a JD getting a SJD is the same as someone with an MD getting a PhD in something like Internal Medicine.

You can make the same argument for a PhD though. It entails specialization in a particular area of study in your field. Either way, you are wrong--one does not earn a PhD in Internal Medicine. One would serve a residency in order to earn certification in a specialization. An MD may choose to earn a PhD in something like epidemiology or biology. But those are not the same as studying medicine.

The JD, LLM, and SJD are all law degrees whether considered "professional" or "academic". The JD is not the terminal degree one can earn in the study of the law. And according to every law school web-site I've seen the SJD is definitely considered "above" the JD. Perusing Harvard Law School's website, they refer to the LLM and SJD as part of the "graduate program" and say that "The S.J.D. program [is] modeled on the very best Ph.D. programs in other disciplines..."

And the way you differentiate between a professional degree and an academic degree only reinforces what I said--the JD is more akin to the MBA in that they are both basically vocational degrees.

bob

8. Ambulance Chaser

Ambulance Chaser Distinguished Member

And the way you differentiate between a professional degree and an academic degree only reinforces what I said--the JD is more akin to the MBA in that they are both basically vocational degrees.
    This is true, but in the same sense that Edward Green and Bostonian are both dress shoes. I'm not knocking business school -- if I had to do it all again, I might want to spend two years networking and having fun -- but law school is much closer to medical school than business school in terms of intellectual rigor.

9. rdawson808

This is true, but in the same sense that Edward Green and Bostonian are both dress shoes. I'm not knocking business school -- if I had to do it all again, I might want to spend two years networking and having fun -- but law school is much closer to medical school than business school in terms of intellectual rigor.

Hilarious! [​IMG] I was waiting for someone to say this. It all depends doesn't it? I regularly bust on the MBA, but an MBA from Podunk State U is probably different from an MBA from Ivy-Covered U, right? And I bet we can find a law school that's a bit of a walk in the park (for some at least).

Maybe the poll should read:

BA/BS
    MA/MS
    MBA
    JD
    LLM
    SJD
    MD
    PhD

Or how about by years of schooling? I went through 12 years of public school then 4 years BA, 2 years MS, then 8 years of PhD. So in essence a slacker like me would rate really high with my 26 years! [​IMG]

bob

10. odoreater

bob

So why not lump the MD in with an MBA and MA too? After all, and MD is also a professional degree, not an academic degree. Like I said, an MD is more similar to a JD than to a PhD. MDs don't have to write and defend dissertations.

Explain to me why an MD is more similar to a PhD than it is to a JD. At most law schools in the country the JD is the terminal degree and SJDs are not offerred, just because Harvard and a few other schools want to rake in more money by coming up with some new higher degree doesn't mean that the JD has been replaced by the SJD as the terminal degree.

The most appropriate classification would have been to put MBA and MA together in one category, then put JD and MD together in another category, then have things like PhD and SJD in a category of their own.

11. Renault78law

Hilarious! [​IMG] I was waiting for someone to say this. It all depends doesn't it? I regularly bust on the MBA, but an MBA from Podunk State U is probably different from an MBA from Ivy-Covered U, right? And I bet we can find a law school that's a bit of a walk in the park (for some at least).

Actually, it's the lower ranked law schools are the most competitive/cutthroat. Typically, the very best schools encourage a more collegial atmosphere and do not rank their students (and in some cases, do not even grade).

12. Quirk

Quirk Distinguished Member

Actually, it's the lower ranked law schools are the most competitive/cutthroat. Typically, the very best schools encourage a more collegial atmosphere and do not rank their students (and in some cases, do not even grade).

You're comparing "lower-ranked schools" and "the very best" schools. Is this a valid dichotomy?

13. rdawson808

So why not lump the MD in with an MBA and MA too? After all, and MD is also a professional degree, not an academic degree. Like I said, an MD is more similar to a JD than to a PhD. MDs don't have to write and defend dissertations.

Explain to me why an MD is more similar to a PhD than it is to a JD.

Good point. I have no argument other than years in school for ranking an MD with a PhD. And I could be wrong there. Isn't it pretty long--like 6 years? Or am I totally off?

At most law schools in the country the JD is the terminal degree and SJDs are not offerred

That's true of every graduate degree. Far more schools offer the BA/BS than an MA/MS and fewer offer the PhD.

The most appropriate classification would have been to put MBA and MA together in one category, then put JD and MD together in another category, then have things like PhD and SJD in a category of their own.

Okay.

I thought we were having a pretty light-hearted pissing contest over academics. I guess not. Sorry.

bob

14. Renault78law

You're comparing "lower-ranked schools" and "the very best" schools. Is this a valid dichotomy?
    I'm not sure what you're getting at. Probably because I don't know what dichotomy means. My anecdotal point was only that a legal education a Ivy Covered-U might be less of a "walk in the park" than Podunk State.

15. odoreater

Okay.

I thought we were having a pretty light-hearted pissing contest over academics. I guess not. Sorry.

bob

So did I ? [​IMG]