1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

SF, Help me choose a career path.

Discussion in 'Business, Careers & Education' started by J Darnielle, Oct 22, 2010.

1. BBSLM

BBSLM Senior member

Are these research jobs? Analyst has a little different meaning in those groups, but for most jobs it's an entry level title.

Im not sure they are research jobs exclusively, but I've never seen any type of analyst job that didnt require experience (at least none posted online.) And I've been looking.

2. Geoff Gander

Geoff Gander Senior member

a clothing forum help choose your career? do we have to help you wipe your ass too?

Hold on for a sec, though. The fact that people are coming here for general life advice means that SF has become the Magic 8-ball of the Net. That says something.

Getting to the OP's question and subsequent posts, I think there is merit in applying to jobs in regional offices - other posters are right that those sorts of places (regardless of industry) always seem to be in hiring mode, for the reasons stated. The pay may not top out as high, but the costs of living should be lower.

A good question to ask yourself is where you want to be in 5 years.

3. Butter

Butter Senior member

Have you gotten your CFA or plan on trying for it?

4. rohde88

rohde88 Senior member

I scored 170, I believe it's 97th percentile actually. With work experience, I could ED to NW pretty easily.

What is your work experience? CIA agent?

Nothing is guaranteed. FWIW, a classmate from Cornell had a shitty GPA, 170 LSAT could only get into American.

5. RSS

RSS Senior member

You can't be this desperate.

6. gdl203

gdl203 Senior member Dubiously Honored Affiliate Vendor

Im not sure they are research jobs exclusively, but I've never seen any type of analyst job that didnt require experience (at least none posted online.) And I've been looking.

Analyst positions at investment banks are entry-level jobs, right out of school. A summer internship in finance is additive but not necessary. Now a research analyst is a different thing altogether and they rarely hire out of undergrad, more often out of business school.

7. otc

otc Senior member

You are looking at the wrong kind of analyst (or more likely, the kind of analyst jobs we are talking about never actually get posted on public sites as they only recruit directly at schools).

Analyst is the standard BA title.

8. rjakapeanut

rjakapeanut Senior member

I scored 170, I believe it's 97th percentile actually. With work experience, I could ED to NW pretty easily.

maybe.

do you want to be a lawyer? if so, what kind of lawyer? what type of law would you be interested in being involved with?

9. BBSLM

BBSLM Senior member

Analyst positions at investment banks are entry-level jobs, right out of school. A summer internship in finance is additive but not necessary. Now a research analyst is a different thing altogether and they rarely hire out of undergrad, more often out of business school.

You are looking at the wrong kind of analyst (or more likely, the kind of analyst jobs we are talking about never actually get posted on public sites as they only recruit directly at schools).

Analyst is the standard BA title.

Gotcha.

Any tips on how to pursue an entry-level analyst position 2 years after graduating with a BS in Finance? (Ive been with a marketing company since graduation, so I have no relevant experience/connections.) I thought about going back for a Masters of Finance as a way to increase my odds of getting my foot in the door.

10. Son Of Saphir

Son Of Saphir Senior member

I hear/read this type of thing all the time WRT analyst positions, but how is someone fresh out of school supposed to land a position that typically requires a minimum of 3-5 years of pretty specific experience (according to online analyst job postings)?

Gift of gab,
    me see it happen.
    Big jobs for experience people,
    inexperience young people landed the jobs.

11. otc

otc Senior member

Gotcha.

Any tips on how to pursue an entry-level analyst position 2 years after graduating with a BS in Finance? (Ive been with a marketing company since graduation, so I have no relevant experience/connections.) I thought about going back for a Masters of Finance as a way to increase my odds of getting my foot in the door.

Where on earth did you get a BS in finance that left you with no idea how to get an entry level finance position or any idea of what sort of job title that might provide?

12. patrickBOOTH

patrickBOOTH Senior member Dubiously Honored

Gotcha.

Get an MBA, not a masters in finance. It is worth more. My parent's neighbor has a masters in finance and accounting and has been looking to change jobs for years now and everybody tells him they are looking for an MBA and a master's is more "academic".

As it has been stated. I think getting work experience then getting the MBA on somebody elses dime is the best bet. That is currently what I am doing. I graduated college in 2007 and I work for a large company. Next year I am going to start my MBA on their dime. After I get it and push through the period they require you to stay before making you pay for the degree I am going to try looking outside of the company. The economy will be rebounded a plenty by then. I am guessing that will be about 4 years from now. So, I will have three years experience when I start my MBA and 7 years when I am ready to look to a different industry, or company.

13. rohde88

rohde88 Senior member

Get an MBA, not a masters in finance. It is worth more. My parent's neighbor has a masters in finance and accounting and has been looking to change jobs for years now and everybody tells him they are looking for an MBA and a master's is more "academic".

As it has been stated. I think getting work experience then getting the MBA on somebody elses dime is the best bet. That is currently what I am doing. I graduated college in 2007 and I work for a large company. Next year I am going to start my MBA on their dime. After I get it and push through the period they require you to stay before making you pay for the degree I am going to try looking outside of the company. The economy will be rebounded a plenty by then. I am guessing that will be about 4 years from now. So, I will have three years experience when I start my MBA and 7 years when I am ready to look to a different industry, or company.

I don't know how guaranteed that it, but a good overall plan.

14. BBSLM

BBSLM Senior member

Where on earth did you get a BS in finance that left you with no idea how to get an entry level finance position or any idea of what sort of job title that might provide?
    No-name state university. Banks werent exactly hiring in droves in '07-'08 when I should have been interning and/or landing full-time employment.
    Get an MBA, not a masters in finance. It is worth more. My parent's neighbor has a masters in finance and accounting and has been looking to change jobs for years now and everybody tells him they are looking for an MBA and a master's is more "academic". As it has been stated. I think getting work experience then getting the MBA on somebody elses dime is the best bet. That is currently what I am doing. I graduated college in 2007 and I work for a large company. Next year I am going to start my MBA on their dime. After I get it and push through the period they require you to stay before making you pay for the degree I am going to try looking outside of the company. The economy will be rebounded a plenty by then. I am guessing that will be about 4 years from now. So, I will have three years experience when I start my MBA and 7 years when I am ready to look to a different industry, or company.
    That would be the ideal route. The problem for me has been getting the work experience. Your plan definitely sounds like a good one. Good luck.

15. Superfluous Man

Superfluous Man Senior member