Dismiss Notice

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

SF Groupthink

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by srivats, Nov 16, 2009.

1. Eason

Eason Bicurious Racist

A&F thread didn't remind me of "groupthinking", the Biscotti in WAYWT thing does.

2. Helix

Helix Senior member

[​IMG]

XKCD doin it right.

3. srivats

srivats Senior member

XKCD doin it right.

XKCD is always right.

4. Helix

Helix Senior member

^^ Incoming new religion. XKCDism.

5. zazaza

zazaza Senior member

i still don't understand why there isn't a handjob or reacharound icon on here when posting replies.

6. jet

jet Persian Bro

We need a lil ho crying or on her period smilie for most here.

7. KitAkira

KitAkira Wait! Wait! I gots an opinion!

Yall the sheep and I'm the sheepherder.
    Buy me jawnz and I'll join team Jet.
    Fuck all you "OMG GROUPTHINK" people, you're just as annoying as the supposed "groupthink" is. Instead of getting pissed off and making bitchy special flower threads, make threads about brands we've never heard about at stores we don't know about. Prove you're above the hype instead of just proclaiming it vocally all the time. It's getting so annoying.
    I'm going to go make an official Crocs thread

8. acidboy

acidboy Senior member

I embrace the SF groupthink, and that makes me unique

9. Arms_Akimbo

Arms_Akimbo Senior member

A&F thread didn't remind me of "groupthinking", the Biscotti in WAYWT thing does.
    I'm assuming you're referring to the bandwagoning against his jeans fit? I think many people are reluctant to criticize established members, regardless of how bad a fit or stupid a comment is, because they're considered 'important' somehow. So when someone does post some criticism, others are quick to follow suit once someone else breaches the topic since it feels safer. I think that course of events is pretty common, and not just on the internet.

10. TxdoHawk

TxdoHawk Senior member

I don't think there's anything particularly surprising about groupthink. Terms like "fashion" and "trend" imply a collective agreement of some kind. It's embedded into clothing.

So, I think it's futile to harp on groupthink. Human beings will stop judging clothes based on the approval of others when human beings stop seeking the approval of others, which will only happen when the human race ceases to exist. And it doesn't take away anything from those who dress for themselves...on the contrary, it only makes them stand out more. In fact, one could argue that anyone truly bothered by the issue of groupthink might not be as comfortable with their own style as they'd claim.

11. Eason

Eason Bicurious Racist

I'm assuming you're referring to the bandwagoning against his jeans fit? I think many people are reluctant to criticize established members, regardless of how bad a fit or stupid a comment is, because they're considered 'important' somehow. So when someone does post some criticism, others are quick to follow suit once someone else breaches the topic since it feels safer. I think that course of events is pretty common, and not just on the internet.
    I'm actually referring to the opposite. It's not like Biscotti didn't look 17 and totally fish-out-of-water in all his other pictures, but because a couple people kept giving him compliments, nobody told him he looked like a kid playing dress up. And suddenly, since one person has given him a critique, everybody piled on now that they know it's okay to do so.

12. XenoX101

XenoX101 Senior member

^ TxdoHawk Hit the nail on the head.

Fashion is groupthink. As much as one would like to disconnect trends with creative dress, trends will always will be the largest part of fashion, it is after all the primary definition of fashion, the common dress.

13. wurlwyde

wurlwyde Senior member

Ed Hardy errything, Ed Hardy cards,
    Ed Hardy cars, Ed Hardy errything.

14. spudnik99

spudnik99 Senior member

I'm a forum junkie (cars, travel, food, clothes, movies), I don't consider groupthink to be an issue here or anywhere else.

15. MortyGras

MortyGras Senior member

I embrace the SF groupthink, and that makes me unique

Groupthinking is a great part of SF.
    It upgrades people who can't dress to a standart that's better than where they came from (pure aestheticly) and it give smarter people some nice restraints to kick against.

Now you aren't unique anymore [​IMG]