• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

SF group buy poll: Skookum Varsity Jacket.

shoreman1782

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm already having a few issues with the poll. Choose: sleeve type (raglan vs set-in); jacket composition (wool/leather); closure (zip, etc.); trim; pocket trim; embroidery or not (like "made for styleforum" or something); and, probably most importantly, colors.

Most people have probably looked at the "Skookum Varsity's" thread, but just in case--there's been some discussion on getting a group buy together for a custom varisty/letterman jacket from Centralia Knitting Mills/Skookum.

Jo3B pulled some nice examples from rakuten/other sources. There seems to be plenty of interest, but some disagreement on design. I talked with Centralia last week, and although I didn't get a lot of details (sizing/measurements; prices for specific updgrades; specific colors available), it seems a basic jacket will run between $100-$150 excluding shipping. The minimum order for a single spec/design is six.

In order to get some consensus here, let's try a poll. Just pick your preferred choice, not every choice you'd be mildly interested in. Assuming this generates some sort of majority-preferred jacket, we'll get a real interest check and I'll get real prices. I reserve the right to wash my hands of this if you guys pick an ugly jacket.

Design by democracy FTW. Or FTL. Hope we don't end up with a frankenjacket.

Examples below, stolen from the other threads.

All wool, burgundy with gray raglan sleeves (SF colors lol), snaps, striped trim
1.jpg

Wool with leather raglan sleeves, all olive (I guess?), buttons, plain trim
CIMG2961.jpg

Wool with leather raglan sleeves, navy/cream, snaps, navy trim, leather pocket trim, extra zip pockets at chest and sleeve
skm-le-st-nvc.jpg

Wool with leather raglan sleeves, burgundy heather wool, zip, zip pockets
img55708604.jpg

Wool with leather raglan sleeves, navy with cream, buttons, cream pocket trim, burgundy trim
img55728261.jpg

APC and Visvim versions (not skookum) with set-in sleeves, note zip closure on visvim
apcss091.png

visvimvarsityjacket2.jpg

GAP denim varsity from the early 90s.

Vashin

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
cool now everyone can brag about their styleforvm internet membership
teacha.gif

I liked the first jacket.

delirium

Reaction score
like the designs of the olive button shawl one
and the burgundy double zip one

so i'm down with something similar to either.

thanks for putting it together, shoreman.

genericman

Reaction score
i like the apc version..

dfagdfsh

Professional Style Farmer
Reaction score
I'm interested as long as i tisn't ass ugly (it prob will be)

wiru

Reaction score
The Wisdom of Crowds tells me that this poll will result in an objectively perfect jacket. Oh, also want the fold down/shawl collar.

robertorex

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by delirium
like the designs of the olive button shawl one
and the burgundy double zip one

so i'm down with something similar to either.

thanks for putting it together, shoreman.

+1

preprunner

Reaction score
Originally Posted by robertorex
+1

+2. In the end I think i'd go Burgundy color over olive. How many times do you see/get to wear a burgundy jacket. More unique. My $0.02

dcg

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Love the burgundy with leather sleeves, love the shawl collar. I'd be open to whatever regarding zipper/buttons/snaps.

mgoose

Reaction score
I like the 2nd, 3rd, and 4th ones best. I'm obviously partial to leather sleeves. I was thinking navy and grey, but I do have a number of jackets in those colors already, so maybe a different color might be better. Oh and yes I love the shawl collar as well.

Johnny Amiga

Reaction score
The Visvim jacket in SF colors (haha) with snaps instead of a zipper would be perfection.

Nouveau Pauvre

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
What's the pricepoint going to be around?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Forum statistics

Threads