SF Film/Cinema Thread

Discussion in 'Entertainment, Culture, and Sports' started by Manny Calavera, May 28, 2007.

1. JBZ

JBZ Senior member

I love Close Encounters

Jaws.

2. Manny Calavera

Manny Calavera Senior member

Jaws.

[​IMG]

I received the Criterion editions of Lindsay Anderson's If and DuÅ¡an Makavejev's WR: Mysteries of the Organism in the mail today, a week before release! These are both on my Top 100 list (coming soon; the little descriptions are talking infinitely longer than I thought they would) and I'm so friggin' excited to watch these in amazing hi-def transfers. I've only seen WR via shitty bootleg VCD. [​IMG]

3. JBZ

JBZ Senior member

^^^I'm actually very serious. Jaws is a great movie.

4. imageWIS

imageWIS Senior member

ImageWis: "Killers?" Yeah, what about it?

Well, they aren't "˜killers', killers are what the terrorists during the Munich Olympic hostage situation were. You can't apply the same term to both the members of the Mossad and the Terrorists.

Schindler's List was an excellent movie and worthy of the praise and admiration it received, it is by far Spielberg's masterpiece, and is in the league as Spartacus, or the Third Man.

Jon.

5. Fuuma

Fuuma Franchouillard Modasse

Well, they aren't "˜killers', killers are what the terrorists during the Munich Olympic hostage situation were. You can't apply the same term to both the members of the Mossad and the Terrorists.

They killed people, and for planned and profesionnal reasons, they are indeed killers, I'm not trying to make a political statement here (it's a cinema thread for god's sake) but you can't subvert language to suit your ideological needs.

6. gdl203

gdl203 Affiliate Vendor Dubiously Honored Affiliate Vendor

Let's settle this: they were assassins [​IMG]

7. Ivan Kipling

Ivan Kipling Senior member

[​IMG]
    Never On Sunday is one of my all time favorites. Melina Mercouri was awarded the grand prize, in Cannes, but lost to Elizabeth Taylor at the Oscars: Butterfield 8. btw: look at Melina's hair, her clothes, even the jewelry. The cigarette may date her some, the rest worn in 1960, is classic.

8. Manny Calavera

Schindler's List was an excellent movie and worthy of the praise and admiration it received, it is by far Spielberg's masterpiece, and is in the league as Spartacus, or the Third Man.

Jon.

I'll slap the lies out of you.

9. imageWIS

imageWIS Senior member

I'll slap the lies out of you.

What lies?

Jon.

10. Manny Calavera

I think Schindler's List is totally in the traditional Spielberg mold, but to each his own.

11. Faded501s

Faded501s Senior member

I had to look up HomeSkillet in the urbandictionary, you wacky Americans and your slang 

<clip>be seen as an admission of distaste for Star Wars, it is a fun movie,

Directors like Lucas and Spielberg have one major flaw that prevent them from achieving greatness; they present works that do not take into account the history of cinema... <clip>...is what keeps me from fully appreciating the films of these two directors.

PS: I'd really appreciate it if you would present your ideas in a less aggressive tone, this isn't the current even forum, let's keep this thread civil!!

I just looked it up too, I think I really meant Homeslice. [​IMG]

You might have a point regarding historical reference. I don't know enough about film to counter the criticism but as a lay person I believe you are putting too much emphasis on it.

If you want my responses to be less aggressive then please don't marginalize my opinions.

12. gdl203

I think Schindler's List is totally in the traditional Spielberg mold, but to each his own.
    I tend to agree. Beyond the emotions, the film is really not that great. The Pianist was a much better fiction film about the Shoah and Shoah is the best film ever made about it.

13. Manny Calavera

I tend to agree. Beyond the emotions, the film is really not that great. The Pianist was a much better fiction film about the Shoah and Shoah is the best film ever made about it.

[​IMG]

I agree, Shoah is far and away the greatest film ever made about the Holocaust and probably the most gut-wrenching documentary I've ever seen.

14. gdl203

It's also the longest film ever! For a number of reasons, I don't think I could see it again... until it becomes time to show it to my child(ren)

15. Manny Calavera

It's also the longest film ever! For a number of reasons, I don't think I could see it again... until it becomes time to show it to my child(ren)

It is very long, but so are Satantango and Berlin Alexanderplatz. I'm always amazed at films that work with such long run-times. And somewhat partial to them.

Janus announced their playdates for the new Pierrot le fou print:

June 15 - June 26
    Brooklyn, NY - BAMCinematÃ[​IMG]k

July 26 - August 2
    Toronto, ON - Cinematheque Ontario

August 10 - August 12
    Winnipeg, MB - Winnipeg Film Group

August 10 - August 16
    Los Angeles, CA - Landmark Nuart

August 17 - August 23
    Chicago, IL - Music Box Theatre

August 31 - September 6