SF Fantasy Baseball League 2009

Discussion in 'Entertainment, Culture, and Sports' started by aportnoy, May 17, 2006.

1. Baron

Baron Senior member Dubiously Honored

+2 on bigger rosters - just so we have do dig a little deeper in the draft. Especially with so few team drafting mixed leagues. Again, the standard fantasy roster of 23 that I posted earlier is a straightforward way to structure it. I think most Fantasy magazines use that as the default for valuing players.

2. Tokyo Slim

Tokyo Slim In Time Out

OK, I went with the 23 man roster, but kept the pitching seperated at 5 SP, 3 RP, and 1 P instead of making it just 9 P so that you HAVE to pick at least 5 starters.

Its more like a real pitching rotation that way, and it discourages the "all closer" problem that some of you seem to be so concerned about.

I also changed our draft to "online manual" and set the date and time (which I can change if its a problem for a lot of people) to 9:30am PST on March 24th.

3. aportnoy

aportnoy Senior member Dubiously Honored

OK, I went with the 23 man roster, but kept the pitching seperated at 5 SP, 3 RP, and 1 P instead of making it just 9 P so that you HAVE to pick at least 5 starters.

Its more like a real pitching rotation that way, and it discourages the "all closer" problem that some of you seem to be so concerned about.

Perfect!! Let the games begin![​IMG]

4. tiger02

tiger02 Militarist

Generic bitch, generic bitch. Fix it!

5. Tokyo Slim

Tokyo Slim In Time Out

Generic bitch, generic bitch. Fix it!

noted

6. aportnoy

I'm gonna love this league. We should also set up a way to paly for cash. I'm in for $100 or $50 is that's more realistic for the group.

7. Tokyo Slim

Tokyo Slim In Time Out

All I really have to say is that with this many players and bench spots, the first person who decides to "take their time" during the live draft will incur my wrath. I mean, we are going like 28 rounds here. I could probably do $50. It would really be pushing it... but I could do it. WE NEED AT LEAST TWO MORE TEAMS!!! I will have J pick names out of a hat for draft order as soon as the league fills up. Just as a note: I'm probably going to set a "joining" deadline of Friday the 16th. If you aren't in the league by then, you are S.O.L. and I'll start filling up the league with vagabonds and hobos.

8. aportnoy

All I really have to say is that with this many players and bench spots, the first person who decides to "take their time" during the live draft will incur my wrath.

I mean, we are going like 28 rounds here.

We need a clock. Wait until people start drafting guys who went seven rounds earlier. "Is Manny Ramirez still available?"

9. Tokyo Slim

Tokyo Slim In Time Out

We need a clock. Wait until people srart drafting guys who went seven rounds earlier. "Is Manny Ramirez still available?"
    Shouldn't happen with yahoo live draft, I think the players get taken off the board as they are picked. I think there is a 90 second timer per pick too... but if everyone takes 3 minutes, a 12 person 28 round draft will take 16.8 hours. I'm REALLY not down with that. COME PREPARED OR DON'T SHOW UP AT ALL!!!

10. Tokyo Slim

Tokyo Slim In Time Out

I just drafted my first league this morning eighth out of ten players.

C: Kenji Johjima
    1B: Justin Morneau
    2B: Robinson Cano
    SS: Bill Hall
    3B: Ryan Zimmermann
    OF: Vladamir Guerrero, Corey Patterson, Torii Hunter
    Util: Tadahito Iguchi

Bench: Gary Matthews Jr., Orlando Cabrera, Hank Blalock

Pitchers: Daisuke Matsuzaka, Roy Oswalt, Brett Meyers, Curt Schilling, Jonathan Papelbon, Bronson Arroyo, Akinori Otsuka, and Kei Igawa.

It just so happened that I ended up with half of Boston's pitching staff. I don't know exactly why that is... but whatever. It's a good starting rotation so I'm not complaining too much.

I know I'm light on relievers, and I don't really have a closer... but Papelbon is listed as an RP on ESPN, so even if he starts, I still get credit for his numbers under my relief category. Plus, he might still be the closer... nobody really knows yet.

11. whnay.

whnay. Senior member Dubiously Honored

23 starters? bleh.

12. Tokyo Slim

Tokyo Slim In Time Out

23 starters? bleh.
    I know... but several people think that sitting around and drafting nobodys for an hour is more fun. I can roll... but I guess we are in the minority here Bill.

13. Buster

Buster Senior member

Shouldn't happen with yahoo live draft, I think the players get taken off the board as they are picked. I think there is a 90 second timer per pick too... but if everyone takes 3 minutes, a 12 person 28 round draft will take 16.8 hours. I'm REALLY not down with that.

COME PREPARED OR DON'T SHOW UP AT ALL!!!

Have we set a date already for that?
    In terms of cash - I will have a hard time justifying anything beyond $25 (am I the only one with kids among the participants [​IMG] )

14. Baron

Baron Senior member Dubiously Honored

They aren't starters because this isn't a h2h format - it's a roster. I guess that's just semantics but whatever. I'm only biased for that because it's what I'm used to. I'll do whatever the group wants in the end.

Maybe I'm having math problems but I get 8.4 hours is everyone takes 90 seconds.

I've been reading the Baseball Prospectus book, so I'm ready to roll. I'll play for money - whatever you guys feel comfortable with.

15. gehrig

gehrig Well-Known Member

This roster breakdown is cool but can you ditch the second catcher? I don't see any upside in getting deep into that position since it barely has any talent through 12 anyway. Also the idea of a DH-only UTIL is a little bizarre - any batter should be eligible there.

Anyone interested in making three of the OF positions LF CF and RF? It would be more true-to-life as the defensive demands of each outfield position vary greatly.