• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

SF Fantasy Baseball League 2009

Tokyo Slim

In Time Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
I changed the format from H2H to Rotisserie.

So as it stands right now

Stat Categories:

Batters - R, HR, RBI, SB, AVG
Pitchers - W, SV, K, ERA, WHIP

Players:

C, 1B, 2B, 3B, SS, OF, OF, OF, Util
SP, SP, RP, RP, P, P, P
BN, BN, BN, BN, BN, DL

Baron

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I think we ought to consider a full 23 player roster if only so we can get past drafting stars and have a little depth on the roster.

C, C, 1B, 2B, 3B, SS, middle inf., corner inf., OF, OF, OF, OF, OF, UT
9 pitchers

You can draft any combination of starter and relievers, but you need at least 1000 innings pitched on the season or you can't qualify for ERA and WHIP.

If you guys want to go with the smaller roster to keep the draft shorter, that's cool too.

Tokyo Slim

In Time Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Baron
You can draft any combination of starter and relievers, but you need at least 1000 innings pitched on the season or you can't qualify for ERA and WHIP.
I don't think this is an option. I can do Maximum innings pitched per team, but not minumum. We can always change the stats to eliminate ERA and WHIP and put in some other stuff instead. Strikeouts per 9 innings average, strikeouts per walk ratio, etc. I would be more interested in going with a shorter draft/less players. But either way, I'm just hanging out like a trout.

Baron

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
The IP minimun doesn't have to be entered into the site - we can just figure it out ourselves after the season ends and in the likely event someone wins the league with less than the minimum IP, then they lose their points in those two categories and we recalculate the standings accordingly. I've been in my other league for 24 years and it's only happened one time. If we do smaller rosters we should have a similar rule anyways based on the number of pitchers on the final roster. I think Aportnoy suggested the same thing in an earlier post.

Tokyo Slim

In Time Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
First off, why is this even neccesary? A high ERA and WHIP will be balanced out by a low W,K, and SV p in a pitcher who doesn't play much, and anyone who's pitchers don't pitch over 600 or so innings a year won't be coming anywhere close to winning. We can also do points for innings pitched to further balance out the equation if you guys REALLY think its going to be neccesary. A Thousand innings is going to be hard to reach unless we have like six active starting pitchers at a time or something, which is marsupialed, IMO. In the regular baseball season, two starting pitchers and two relief pitchers will log around 400 -500 innings. The additional 3 pitchers on your roster will generally log about another 300 innings... assuming that maybe two of them are lower tier starters or middle relief. That means we'd be somewhere in the neighborhood of a natural 700-800 inning season, ASSUMING that there are no injuries, and that all our starting pitchers pitch 6 times a month for an average of seven innings. I'd say it was highly unlikely that many people would be able to make 1000 innings before october.

I reject the idea of an after-the fact recount that could potentially dethrone the otherwise deserving champ based on some arbitrary number that in the dozens of leagues I've played in, has never been an issue.

Baron

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Maybe the K category makes this rule moot, but you could probably count on winning ERA, WHIP and saves by drafting all relievers. I've played 4X4 and this is a problem in that kind of league. You can draft 3 great closers and a bunch of injured or inactive starters and easily win those 3 categories. Again, with K added this makes less sense than it does in a 4X4 league.

Tokyo Slim

In Time Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Baron
Maybe the K category makes this rule moot, but you could probably count on winning ERA, WHIP and saves by drafting all relievers. I've played 4X4 and this is a problem in that kind of league. You can draft 3 great closers and a bunch of injured or inactive starters and easily win those 3 categories. Again, with K added this makes less sense than it does in a 4X4 league.
OK, so would everyone like me to add IP points? Its easy to do and would solve this problem.

tiger02

Militarist
Reaction score
I thought we had it covered with minimum IP per week, around 50 or so? Whatever. I just want to know why there are only nine teams so far
mad.gif

As far as money goes, we could have a "side pot" for cash, opt in by choice?

Tokyo Slim

In Time Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by tiger02
I thought we had it covered with minimum IP per week, around 50 or so? Whatever. I just want to know why there are only nine teams so far
mad.gif
As far as money goes, we could have a "side pot" for cash, opt in by choice?

I thought I made it clear that I can't specify minimum IP. If not... well... I can't specify minimum IP per day, week, month, season, decade, century, or any other amount of time. It is not something that Yahoo does. 50 innings a week would be 8-10 starting pitchers, DO WE REALLY NEED 10 ACTIVE PITCHERS ON OUR ROSTER????? Seriously, what the hell are you guys thinking? Its not that complicated. Nobody is going to win our league by corralling two ace starters and five top tier closers along with all the position players they would need. Its just not possible. Stop friggin worrying about it. The easiest way to defeat that is by... um... outdrafting the other damn teams. You'll figure it out eventually.

whnay.

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Christ this is a nightmare...just keep it like this...

I changed the format from H2H to Rotisserie.

So as it stands right now

Stat Categories:

Batters - R, HR, RBI, SB, AVG
Pitchers - W, SV, K, ERA, WHIP

Players:

C, 1B, 2B, 3B, SS, OF, OF, OF, Util
SP, SP, RP, RP, P, P, P
BN, BN, BN, BN, BN, DL

tiger02

Militarist
Reaction score
Ah, I see, minimum innings is only a H2H thing. S'cool bro...but now you know why I didn't go out and form the league myself
smile.gif
50 innings was actually based off of a fart that hit me about the time I was writing the post. You know. 5 starters x 6 IP per + phthbbt = 50 IP.

No worries, we Latino (loose and hopefully offensive interpretation of Mayan) all stars will school the Japanese all stars, no matter what the settings.

gehrig

Reaction score
Any room left? I'd like to join if so, or if you are willing to add a 13th.

Tokyo Slim

In Time Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by gehrig
Any room left? I'd like to join if so, or if you are willing to add a 13th.

As of right now, there are nine teams. Feel free to join by following my earlier link in this thread.

If it becomes a space issue, I think I can increase the number of teams without much of a problem.

gehrig

Reaction score
You may want to add more batters - CI, MI, another OF

aportnoy

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by gehrig
You may want to add more batters - CI, MI, another OF

+1
icon_gu_b_slayer[1].gif

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 36.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads