1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

SF Fantasy Baseball League 2009

Discussion in 'Entertainment, Culture, and Sports' started by aportnoy, May 17, 2006.

1. JSC437

JSC437 Senior member

Regarding Votto - I was debating whether to take him that early, but his PECOTA number "blinded" me. I am open to trades of course. Everyone is on the trading block.

Oh my... we have a PECOTA person here. God help us all.

Do you pay for Baseball Prospectus?

I have other websites where i get my weird stats... like BABIP and stuff like that

2. Tokyo Slim

Tokyo Slim Senior member

One of the main reasons I dont waste early or mid rd picks on closers... [​IMG]

3. WhateverYouLike

WhateverYouLike Senior member

I have other websites where i get my weird stats... like BABIP and stuff like that

Whats PECOTA?

4. JSC437

JSC437 Senior member

Whats PECOTA?

a stats projection system that uses regression analysis and some other super quant type bullshit. lol

go to baseball prosepctus (google it) to get a better explanation

As far as Votto's PECOTA.. it depends on what % you are looking at. Everyone has a good PECOTA for the higher %'s. I tend to be more moderate in the PECOTA projections. I go to the lower levels.

5. Slopho

Slopho Senior member

One of the main reasons I dont waste early or mid rd picks on closers... [​IMG]

I hope you both remember all this baseball nerd speak at the end of the season when you're 5th and 7th respectively.

6. Steve B.

Steve B. Senior member

Jorge Posada
    Aubrey Huff
    Dan Uggla
    Adrián BÃ[​IMG]ltre
    Jimmy Rollins
    Vladimir Guerrero
    Matt Holliday
    Nate McLouth
    Johnny Damon

Bench
    Nick Swisher
    Adam Lind

Johan Santana
    Daisuke Matsuzaka
    Joe Nathan
    Joakim Soria
    Justin Verlander
    Ted Lilly
    Mike Pelfrey

Bench
    Ben Sheets
    Justin Duchscherer
    Joel Hanrahan

i think its decent. Lot of power hitters. Great relivers. Decent starters.

Where the hell did Sheets go?

Well, it looks like Hoffman's on the DL. Who picked him up??

I had him.

Stacking with good starters worked for me last season and I was no. 1 most of the 2nd half. But Slim was the only guy I couldn't beat (tied once) because he had a more balanced team, and I got SPANKED in the finals.

I have a better hitting team this year and better relievers. But my steals are a joke.

7. Buster

Buster Senior member

Originally posted by JSC4President

I do pay. I have a league (not this league), that I cannot do too bad in. PECOTA bounds from below your ability to screw up.

8. WhateverYouLike

WhateverYouLike Senior member

I need closer help...Capps is solid, but Percival is probably going to be iffy. And 2 closers is a bummer. Usually I roll with 4 closers.

With Ervin Santana, Oswalt, Baker, and Carpenter, Im hoping I'll be competitive in ERA/WHIP. I doubt I'll ever beat anyone in K's though.

My offense is diesel. 15 hrs a week minimum. Phear me.

9. Tokyo Slim

Tokyo Slim Senior member

4 closers? Holy jeebus. That is a poor rate of return on pitching in my opinion. Closer has the most volatile downside of any position in fantasy baseball. One or two runs allowed can blow your ERA and WHIP numbers through the roof.

10. Tokyo Slim

Tokyo Slim Senior member

I hope you both remember all this baseball nerd speak at the end of the season when you're 5th and 7th respectively.

I'm going to go out on a limb and guess that if I finish lower than second, it will be due to injury or drastic underperformance the likes of which are unprecedented in the anals of SF fantasy baseball. I said Anals.

11. breakz

breakz Senior member

Regarding Votto - I was debating whether to take him that early, but his PECOTA number "blinded" me. I am open to trades of course. Everyone is on the trading block.

Yeah, he's projected for greatness by everyone this year. 1B is also really shallow past the top guys, so a reach is kind of justifie given your next best option is Carlos Pena or Chris Davis.

12. Slopho

Slopho Senior member

I'm going to go out on a limb and guess that if I finish lower than second, it will be due to injury or drastic underperformance the likes of which are unprecedented in the anals of SF fantasy baseball. I said Anals.

Wow, what lofty goals. No lower than 2nd. Good luck, I mean that.

13. Tokyo Slim

Tokyo Slim Senior member

Wow, what lofty goals. No lower than 2nd. Good luck, I mean that.
    Well I didn't want to sound arrogant by saying that I'm going to steamroll the league, even though thats how I feel. I figure second place is suitably humble. Which team are you again?

14. Steve B.

Steve B. Senior member

Well I didn't want to sound arrogant by saying that I'm going to steamroll the league, even though thats how I feel. I figure second place is suitably humble.

Which team are you again?

The tiniest underbelly he has are the health of A-Rod and Hamels. Otherwise we're screwed

I wonder where I can get a Japanese voodoo doll. Perhaps that will finally break the curse

15. Tokyo Slim

Tokyo Slim Senior member

The tiniest underbelly he has are the health of A-Rod and Hamels. Otherwise we're screwed

I wonder where I can get a Japanese voodoo doll. Perhaps that will finally break the curse

You have to get a Japanese/Irish voodoo doll... Good luck finding one of those!

16. Brian278

Brian278 Senior member

Yeah wait, how did he get Pujols, Hamels, A-Rod, Webb, and Peavy? I mean as long as A-Rod is healthy for the playoffs it's not going to matter much. My excuse is that I missed the draft, what were you guys doing? [​IMG]

17. Tokyo Slim

Tokyo Slim Senior member

Yeah wait, how did he get Pujols, Hamels, A-Rod, Webb, and Peavy? I mean as long as A-Rod is healthy for the playoffs it's not going to matter much. My excuse is that I missed the draft, what were you guys doing? [​IMG]
    I was asking myself that the entire draft. I saw a bunch of guys go off the board early that I though could have been held off on for one or two more rounds at least... There were three or four players in the first three or four rounds that went at least a round higher than ADP. I don't live and die by ADP, but its a pretty good indicator of value. A-Rod for example has an ADP of 15.7 - and I picked him up with the 26th pick. Hamels' ADP is 37.7, I got him at 50. There was some serious bargain hunting in the first seven rounds or so. A-Rod will likely be back in May. Then you are all going to be very very sorry you let him slip to round 3. I am a fantasy draft professional.

18. breakz

breakz Senior member

I was asking myself that the entire draft. A-Rod will likely be back in May. Then you are all going to be very very sorry you let him slip to round 3. I am a fantasy draft professional.
    I can't believe this--I didn't even notice when reviewing the draft results. I wouldn't have let him slip. [​IMG] Anyway we're all playing for second, Slopho. Good luck winning. EDIT: Upon examination I'm a partial culprit since I autopicked Upton in the 2nd. But how do CC, Webb, Halladay, and Longoria go in the 2nd? They don't belong there at all.

19. Tokyo Slim

Tokyo Slim Senior member

I can't believe this--I didn't even notice when reviewing the draft results. I wouldn't have let him slip. [​IMG] Anyway we're all playing for second, Slopho. Good luck winning. EDIT: Upon examination I'm a partial culprit since I autopicked Upton in the 2nd. But how do CC, Webb, Halladay, and Longoria go in the 2nd? They don't belong there at all.
    Depends on who you ask.Webb went right at his ADP. Halladay went a round and a half early, Longoria went just before his ADP. If the person who took Longoria didn't take him, someone within four or five picks would have. Webb was best available on my board when I took him. Soriano was a little bit of a head scratcher, as was Upton.

20. Steve B.

Steve B. Senior member

Well I didn't want to sound arrogant by saying that I'm going to steamroll the league, even though thats how I feel. I figure second place is suitably humble.

Which team are you again?

He says that every year...

You have to get a Japanese/Irish voodoo doll... Good luck finding one of those!

I'll dress it in green clothes.