1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

SF Cribs: The places behind the clothes

Discussion in 'Fine Living, Home, Design & Auto' started by designprofessor, Nov 15, 2006.

1. spertia

spertia Senior member

Will PM the listing.

Sofa is by Mario Bellini for B&B Italia ("Camaleonda," 1970). Had to put part of it in storage since all of the pieces would not fit in our current apartment.

2. lefty

lefty Senior member

Thanks. I just did a search for the sofa and your sofa was the first pic that popped up. That may be google tracking me, but it does show well in your place.

lefty

3. foodguy

foodguy Senior member

At the corner of hipster and hip replacement
    I AM NOT TROLLING. or being argumentative. just honestly curious. you guys both have great taste, but I do not understand the attraction of that sofa. degustibus and all that, but i'd love to understand why this piece is cool.

4. lefty

lefty Senior member

I wouldn't venture to say if it is cool or not. I used to be cool, then they changed what cool is and now I mostly spend my days yelling at parking meters.

I tend to respond to spaces on a visceral level, so to my eye this is a very inviting destination and an exceptional use of the sofa is a beautifully tight room. It looks like a great place to have Ann Margaret hump the sofa covered in beans and chocolate.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

As to the sofa itself, well, though lately I tend to prefer a little more gloss and glitter, for a lumpy blob it is ethereal. It floats. And I want to sit in it.

[​IMG]

lefty

1 person likes this.
  5. foodguy

foodguy Senior member

Thanks! I think I get it. especially in the context of the first picture. and especially in the context of
    the fact that we both pine after ann-margaret says we are of similar vintages (see my sig)

6. lefty

lefty Senior member

7. foodguy

foodguy Senior member

ah yes, remember it fondly. so fondly in fact, i had to go back and verify that it was as amazing as i remembered. it was.

8. Big A

Big A Senior member

the missus wants an open kitchen.I actually agree with you guys but if I have learned anything in life it's that if my wife wants something and I don't have a strong opinion either way, she gets it. Hell even if I do have a strong opinion she gets it.

Last edited: Jan 23, 2014
    3 people like this.
  9. SkinnyGoomba

SkinnyGoomba Senior member

Happy wife, happy life.

2 people like this.
  10. sugarbutch

sugarbutch Senior member Dubiously Honored

That aphorism bugs the hell out of me. Unhappy husband, unhappy life.

3 people like this.
  11. SkinnyGoomba

funny, it's one of my wife's favorites.

6 people like this.
  12. sugarbutch

Who knows? Maybe you'll have a long and happy marriage and I'll get divorced. It's generally working so far, though. :)

13. SkinnyGoomba

Lol, sigh. I like to make the jokes.

Last edited: Jan 24, 2014
  14. sugarbutch

I was joking, too! I hope your edit wasn't to spare my feelings (I didn't see what you posted).

15. SkinnyGoomba

Nope, just to add more. Hah, I see you also practice in the art of dry humor.

16. suited

suited Senior member

This is the preserve behind our house. I think it's about 500 acres. I'm not sure what lives there, but we hear some crazy noises at night. The builder told us the sheriff traps hog back there and relocates them.
    [​IMG]

It's usually dry this time of year, but we had a lot of rain over the winter. It doesn't get more than a few inches deep. I sincerely doubt there are any gators because of the shallow depth, but it is prime habitat for water moccasins.
    [​IMG]

We weren't allowed to choose our own fence (you're lucky to find a place here that lets you), so we planted bamboo for privacy. We will probably sell the place before it's fully grown, but it's doing a decent job now.
    [​IMG]

I lined the fence with pet screen. I started the project when we moved in, but procrastinated a few weeks, until I killed a diamondback in the yard. I suppose it's not completely snake proof, but it prevents anything from getting that doesn't want to climb up the fence.
    [​IMG]

We are replacing some of the builder's work. The baseboards were shit, and the company that installed the wood didn't do the best job with the quarter rounds either. We removed the 3.25" baseboards and put in 7.25" base.
    [​IMG]

17. Douglas

Douglas Senior member

I don't know how people can live in places where you can find a poisonous snake in your backyard. The thought of that just scares the bejeesus out of me. I'd have built a triple electric fence with laser beams attached to motion sensors.

BTW, snakes love bamboo.

1 person likes this.
  18. Thomas

Thomas Senior member

Mrs. Thomas has snake-proof wellies for yard work.

19. suited

suited Senior member

I'd be more concerned with pets and children. Our cat stays inside the screened-in porch, no kids yet. Our neighbors don't seem too concerned with their kids and pets. A few coworkers who grew up here told me that diamondbacks are pretty rare here, most had never seen one in their lifetime.

I would hope the grounds crews around here wear snake chaps, but I doubt it. You can't hear anything with a mower or weed eater running. Seems like a great way to get bit.

20. Douglas

Douglas Senior member

Yeah, I have 3 dogs and a 4-year-old daughter. It's terrifying enough to think of encountering a poisonous snake myself, but I think I'd be a constant wreck with my kid in the backyard.

I'm a little crestfallen because I found a rug at auction that I thought I was going to get for really, really cheap but it went for more than double the high estimate.

Then another rug, frankly much nicer, was going well under the low estimate. I put a bid in but for some reason the bid was not received in time (I was bidding a live auction through an internet site) and it sold for a stupid low figure. Room-size Herez, $800.

My wife and I have been on a push to really furnish our living room properly and the rest of yesterday I kept looking at the seating area where I would have put it and thinking how nice it would have looked.