1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

SF Cribs: The places behind the clothes

Discussion in 'Fine Living, Home, Design & Auto' started by designprofessor, Nov 15, 2006.

1. StephenHero

StephenHero Senior member

You should. Plastic sucks.

2. Desi

Desi Senior member

I like the place but the dining reminds me of something. Maybe a outdoor hotel patio.

3. chrisjr

chrisjr Senior member

We've lived there for about 15 years. Parents moved into the area because it has an awesome school 4 blocks away, which also means that most families with kids my age have moved out of the 'hood and made room for young families. House is awesome: 1910 build, ~3500 sq.ft., 4 bedroom, 3 stories + basement, and we've renovated it heavily.

Parents had thought about selling for a while because with us kids off at university/moving into our own places afterwards. It's a biggish house with lots of maintenance and they'd prefer being further downtown.

Our neighbour sold their house for $4.5 mill (about 200% of what other houses in the area were selling for), and the buyer spent 3 years gutting it and redoing the entire property. It was ridiculous, they even ripped out the 5 year old stone swimming pool in order to reshape it because the designer told the owners the shape didn't fit properly with the shape of the house.

Anyways, to make a long story short, this said neighbour, whom has already put ~$2.5 million in renovations into their home, offered my folks a price they couldn't refuse. Of course we'd be happier selling it to a young family who would love and enjoy the house as much as us, but receiving 25% over the asking price really encouraged them to sell. We had a real estate photographer come in and make a photobook for us to remember the house by. I just feel bad for the rest of the people on our street who will have to put up with another couple of years of construction...

next house i'm looking at to move in with my brothers: http://www.realtor.ca/propertyDetails.aspx?propertyId=11007096&PidKey=-182389929
    or this serves as a nice goal for after renovations, seems more worth it to buy a place like this http://www.realtor.ca/propertyDetails.aspx?propertyId=11007552&PidKey=13904168 and have $200k to renovate.

Last edited: Sep 10, 2011
  4. aragon765

aragon765 Senior member

Not sure if you are familiar with the area that you posted those two links to, but watch out for the smell from the pig rendering plant about 300 meters away... It can be a bit putrid when the wind is blowing from the west (which it usually is...). It us actually one of the big reasons we did not buy a house in that area for a steal of a price, all other things considered.

5. chrisjr

chrisjr Senior member

Where did you end up settling? I love the area, we're also looking a bit further west and north. House prices in the area have just exploded though so it's hard to find anything reasonably priced.

6. chrisjr

chrisjr Senior member

7. lefty

lefty Senior member

Anyone looking for a castle in SF?

This unique one of a kind property aka The Albion Castle sits on the edge of the India Basin. The main structure offers 5 Levels & 2Ba. The kitchen has been remodeled. There is a separate side studio room off the main structure. The sale may include the water rights to the natural springs. This property was previously the site of The Albion Ale & Porter Brewery and a source for The Mountain Spring Water Co. There are natural springs producing water on site accessible through 3 caverns/2 caves. Fabulous views of The Bay and The Bay Bridge can be enjoyed from this property. Much San Francisco history and incredible potenital exists in this changing neighborhood.

[​IMG][​IMG]
    [​IMG][​IMG]
    [​IMG][​IMG]
    [​IMG][​IMG]
    [​IMG][​IMG]
    [​IMG][​IMG]
    [​IMG]

lefty

1 person likes this.
  8. StephenHero

That place is great. Really, really great. But that kitchen is a fucking disaster. The next owner should rip all that shit out and get free standing pieces; the kinds you can't get at Lowes during Black Friday.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 15, 2011
  9. mordecai

mordecai Senior member

What's this one from?

Crazy that the listing lefty posted is less than 1 million.

10. StephenHero

I don't know. I just gave "rustic kitchen" to Google Images and it gave me that in return.

11. lefty

lefty Senior member

Quote:
    Nice kitchen.

Quote:
    The place could be amazing, though I'm torn on the throne.

It's only 1400 sq ft and as near as I can tell in a bit of shitty neighbourhood which could explain the price. I'm trying to talk my wife into with the idea of selling it down the road to kink.com.

lefty

12. StephenHero

What exactly is going on with the underground space?

13. lefty

lefty Senior member

Natural springs/dungeons. Cool spot for a party.

lefty

14. sugarbutch

sugarbutch Senior member Dubiously Honored

:)

15. StephenHero

Something awesome needs to be done with it.

16. CouttsClient

CouttsClient Senior member

Los Angeles/ DC/ The Gulf Coast/ Airplane...

If you don't buy it I...well I won't buy it but I I'm sure I have a friend or two that might be interested :teach:

17. lefty

lefty Senior member

How about 10 of us pony up 100K each, slap a coat of paint on and open up a high-end brothel/orgytorium a la Caligula?

lefty

1 person likes this.
  18. CouttsClient

CouttsClient Senior member

Los Angeles/ DC/ The Gulf Coast/ Airplane...

Attach a reality tv show to it and I'm there :)

19. Blackhood

Blackhood Senior member

The trouble with that kind of place is that its a labour of love. You could buy it for $1m, sink another $300,000 into renovations and it would still only sell to the guy who wants an "Albion Castle". places like this are reasonably common in the UK because they are project-lovers dreams. Passed from one project to another and never really realising their full magnificence. The classic muscle car of the property world as far as I can see.

20. StephenHero

I wouldn't do much of anything to it. It's a not the kind of fixer-upper that really requires lots of fixing and modernizing. The home's greatest asset is its rusticity. I'd rip that boring kitchen out, but I'd do very little modernizing.

This room could use some work. That railing is junk. I might take that loft out and turn it into a large studio or library to utilize the tall ceilings. Fix the wall color.

[​IMG]

I'd swap the concrete floor for permeable brick paving/bonsai fescue, landscape the walls with ivy, plant some groundcovers, add a couple vertical trees like Norweigan maples, add some topiary, and maybe turn that canopy area into an outdoor kitchen with a stone oven. It could be a great place for a party.

[​IMG]

Besides that, I'd just leave it.