1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

SF Cribs: The places behind the clothes

Discussion in 'Fine Living, Home, Design & Auto' started by designprofessor, Nov 15, 2006.

1. lefty

lefty Senior member

Woot indeed.

lefty

2. NorCal

NorCal Senior member

Woot indeed.

lefty

Deets?

3. lefty

lefty Senior member

After putting in two offers to buy I finally threw my hands up in the air over SF real estate (and the monkeys they call agents here) and threatened to leave my wife for a nice one bedroom in the West Village. Sanity prevailed and I succumbed to her wish to rent a Pac Heights 1930's apt with an 350 sq ft deck overlooking some water and whatever mountain thing is across it. Marin headlands?

The irony? It's on Broadway.

lefty

4. Rambo

Rambo Senior member

5. otc

otc Senior member

I've got a sweet view in the office and essentially zero view from my garden apartment.

The park/harbor/water view is nice although if I had to choose, I would prefer to have it in the office where I spend a larger portion of the daylight hours looking out the window than I would at home.

The only thing that might reverse that would be something like lefty described...a large balcony/deck with a grandiose view.

6. kwilkinson

kwilkinson Senior member

I've got a sweet view in the office and essentially zero view from my garden apartment.
    You can see all the feet of people walking by. That's all my garden apt view was good for.

7. Connemara

Connemara Senior member

You can see all the feet of people walking by. That's all my garden apt view was good for.
    Certain people would pay millions for an apt. with a view like that.

8. mordecai

mordecai Senior member

After putting in two offers to buy I finally threw my hands up in the air over SF real estate (and the monkeys they call agents here) and threatened to leave my wife for a nice one bedroom in the West Village. Sanity prevailed and I succumbed to her wish to rent a Pac Heights 1930's apt with an 350 sq ft deck overlooking some water and whatever mountain thing is across it. Marin headlands?

lefty

Lol. Congrats.

9. NorCal

NorCal Senior member

lefty

You could do worse, I was in that area the other day fighting my way over to Chrisie Fields. It's nice. Now you need a dog to go walk in the park with. Learn to hate SF on a whole other level.

10. Kent Wang

Kent Wang Senior member Dubiously Honored Affiliate Vendor

I've got a sweet view in the office and essentially zero view from my garden apartment. The park/harbor/water view is nice although if I had to choose, I would prefer to have it in the office where I spend a larger portion of the daylight hours looking out the window than I would at home.
    I work at home and have a pretty crappy view out of my window, but too much sun comes in through the window so I have to put up heavy curtains. So if even I had an awesome view, it seems I wouldn't be able to enjoy it unless at dusk or evening.

11. gdl203

gdl203 Senior member Dubiously Honored Affiliate Vendor

Where are you serving time? [​IMG]

12. MikeDT

MikeDT Senior member

Where are you serving time? [​IMG]
    Last year, 2 months 'home' was a village service station in Hunan Province

13. edinatlanta

edinatlanta Senior member

Anyone else unsure if MikeDT is a troll?

14. MikeDT

MikeDT Senior member

Anyone else unsure if MikeDT is a troll?
    A very good question indeed. I will say though that my current accommodation is rather more salubrious, a reasonable 2 room apartment on the 6th floor(no lift), even had a recent lick of paint, NO disused 'Sinopec' petrol and diesel pumps in the kitchen, and best of all running water(in the evenings) instead of having to go to a hand-pumped well.

15. voxsartoria

voxsartoria Senior member

16. Lucky Strike

Lucky Strike Senior member

Crosspost from my apartment thread/update: I'm loving the new place; it's a 1939 building in a far more radical modernist/international style, and built to higher standards - there's polished oak floors, a big fireplace, a balcony, a bedroom for the offspring, and far, far better kindergartens and schools around than this area offers. The area we left is a just-now-gentrifying, old working-class part of town, and schools, parking, quiet at night etc. isn't the priority for the students, hipsters and bohemians moving in around there. It was perfect for us before we started having kids, though. The new place also has its original 1939 lift with burled birch veneer and "Long live the King!" WWII graffiti intact inside, and the old-fashioned type of expanding/hinged grid metal inner doors (very film noir, I feel). Here's a few photos of the new place, it's from the sales brochure, so none of the furniture and stuff is ours, although some very nice pieces, I have to admit. A couple of days ago, I discovered that its local nickname is "the battleship". Noice, I like a house with a nickname. 1939 and 1950s photos: [​IMG] [​IMG] The penthouse flat was originally built as a place-in-town for Wagner soprano Kirsten Flagstad, but this fell through, presumably because of her...wartime troubles. The top flat was then bought by Gudmund "Gubbe" Brundtland, cabinet minister and father of later prime minister Gro Harlem Brundtland, who grew up there. Today's situation - it's built on a wedge-shaped plot, so it has a sort of flat-iron shape: [​IMG] Living-room: [​IMG] [​IMG] I'm planning on placing the corner sofa around the fireplace, and having the diinner-table by the window/balcony, like the previous occupants. That huge cabinet/shelf thing has left, and will be replaced by something lower. "Nursery": [​IMG] Thankfully, the previous owners were very good with uncovering and recreating original features, they managed to get all the correct door-handles, and kept the original teakwood window frames and sills. They're taking a couple of very period-correct lamps with them, which is of course a pity, but quite understandable. Bedroom, I don't really like the new floors in the nursery and bedroom, as they don't match the original floors in the living-room and hall, but whatever: [​IMG] [​IMG] Bathroom: [​IMG] The kitchen will be upgraded somewhat, I'm considering having the cabinet doors lacquered white, and I want a stainless steel sheet between the upper and lower cabinets on the left: [​IMG] Balcony and view: [​IMG] [​IMG] And plan: [​IMG] It's still tiny, it's actually exactly the same size as the one we sold, but the plan is far, far better for us, with a kid in the picture.

1 person likes this.
  17. Desi

Desi Senior member

May not be a fan of the way the outside structure looks but I adore the fireplace. Really out there.

18. Lucky Strike

Lucky Strike Senior member

May not be a fan of the way the outside structure looks but I adore the fireplace. Really out there.
    Thanks! Yeah, I guess the exterior's an acquired taste. Better pic of the fireplace: [​IMG] I also like how the previous owners kept the original ceiling mouldings; it's supposedly the only place left in the building. Here's another flat, 2nd floor in the building, for sale now. It was bought by a commercial developer a few months ago, and refurbished completely. Gorgeous, and much bigger than ours, but a bit generic-looking, I think.

19. lefty

lefty Senior member

Nice place. I would leave the kitchen cabinets alone as they bring some warmth to the apt. Update the backsplash, counters and sink if you wish.

Good luck.

lefty