SF Cribs: The places behind the clothes

Discussion in 'Fine Living, Home, Design & Auto' started by designprofessor, Nov 15, 2006.

1. lefty

lefty Senior member

You know real estate is fucked up in this country when someone won't buy that house. I mean, if I was a ballin ass baller, and wanted to hole up in Jersey, I'd plunk down the cash in a heartbeat.

Thanks - 45 agents showed up today so I'm hoping I can buck the trend and get over asking. But maybe I should have put "ballin ass baller" on the application form?

Showed this photo to a girl and she fucking LOVED it. So thanks lefty, you are a real American hero.

The house or the cat? Abyssinian if she's looking.

Douglas, I'd just like to echo what others have said about taking your time to furnish it. You'll find furniture you like in due time, but IMHO all that space is fine as it is, once you've done it up to your liking.

The one thing I would recommend (if you plan to stay there for years) is to refurbish the wood. I never did as I just didn't have time. I have a neighbour with a similar house and he hired two guys who spent 8 months oiling and rubbing the wood to raise the grain of the chestnut. His walls glow. But it's a real labour of love so prepare to spend the next few years doing nothing but.

On the plus side you can get out of a lot of social functions with the excuse, "Sorry fellows, but I need to stay home and polish my wood."

lefty

2. Thomas

Thomas Senior member

(...)

The one thing I would recommend (if you plan to stay there for years) is to refurbish the wood. I never did as I just didn't have time. I have a neighbour with a similar house and he hired two guys who spent 8 months oiling and rubbing the wood to raise the grain of the chestnut. His walls glow. But it's a real labour of love so prepare to spend the next few years doing nothing but.

On the plus side you can get out of a lot of social functions with the excuse, "Sorry fellows, but I need to stay home and polish my wood."

lefty

Funny enough I've been roped into a few sessions of that sort of work, under the guise of 'friends gathering and having a few beers and maybe helping out on a project'. Depends on what sort of friends you have as to how they would respond to an invitation to come by one evening, have a beer, and rub Douglas's wood for a few hours.

3. Rambo

Rambo Senior member

Funny enough I've been roped into a few sessions of that sort of work, under the guise of 'friends gathering and having a few beers and maybe helping out on a project'. Depends on what sort of friends you have as to how they would respond to an invitation to come by one evening, have a beer, and rub Douglas's wood for a few hours.
    [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

4. Bhowie

Bhowie Senior member

I am posting from the plane on my way to B.more as we speak.

5. ohm

ohm Senior member

Thanks - 45 agents showed up today so I'm hoping I can buck the trend and get over asking. But maybe I should have put "ballin ass baller" on the application form?

Good luck! Your house is gorgeous.

In.

6. Bhowie

Bhowie Senior member

[​IMG]

7. Rambo

Rambo Senior member

8. zjpj83

zjpj83 Senior member

I go fishing on L.I. Sound. You should see some of the properties out there. Some really spectacular places.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

9. Rambo

Rambo Senior member

10. phreak

phreak Senior member

the houses are nice sure, but the trees/landscaping are fucking incredible.

11. Douglas

Douglas Stupid ass member

[​IMG]

12. Piobaire

Piobaire Not left of center?

Which one of those is Vox's weekend house?

13. kwilkinson

kwilkinson Having a Ball

Which one of those isn't Vox's weekend house?
    ftfy

14. NorCal

NorCal Senior member

Bit late to the party but that is an amazingly well put together house lefty.

What is the detail above the first fireplace?
    One of the only foyers I've seen that actually adds to a house.

And I'll agree with LK, nothing worse than creating something beautiful only to have some nit-wit come and fuck it up.

15. lefty

lefty Senior member

Thanks. Not sure which is the first fireplace. The living room fireplace has always been a problem area as it is recessed and dark. I toyed with the idea of filling it with 50 or so antlers, but the place already has a bit of a cabin feel (you can't see them but there's a bamboo fly rod mounted to the wall of the dining room and an axe tucked into a corner), so I nixed that. I also wanted to mimic the pattern of the tiles, chaise longue, and the pillows on the sofa. Long story short - those are three steel bowls I found in India that were sitting in my "to be gifted" pile. Hammered in a couple of nails and threw them up. The piece above the dining room fireplace is a sign that sat outside a German Inn. I want to say 18c but I'm not positive. It is relief carved. Here's a shot showing the colours: [​IMG] And here you can see the relief: [​IMG] It's cool but there always was a little "Trilogy of Terror" thing going on with the woodsman. lefty