SF Cribs: The places behind the clothes

Discussion in 'Fine Living, Home, Design & Auto' started by designprofessor, Nov 15, 2006.

1. gdl203

gdl203 Affiliate Vendor Dubiously Honored Affiliate Vendor

osgood - love your place

2. mordecai

mordecai Immoderator

Some photos from my student apartment.
    looks good for a student place. one recommendation, hide your media/SNES (great choice), and put your goddamn comic books away, kid.
    This problem can happen in walls that have been painted poorly or very many times and have a pretty strong orange-peel effect (or it can happen in walls that are actually textured). The spackle sections will come out smoother than painted sections and the only perfect solution is to sand the whole wall to match.
    that makes sense. i've recently painted fresh dry wall, plaster, and my girlfriend's gallery, so that hasn't come up too much.

3. JayJay

JayJay Senior member

truly. spent as much (or more) time taping as i did applying 2 coats of primer and 2 coats of paint.
    +1. Taping is a huge pain.

4. otc

otc Senior member

Damn...I want to be a student in sweden

5. whiteslashasian

whiteslashasian Senior member

osgood - love your place

+1 Though I'd probably want a slightly large desk.

6. hboogz

hboogz Senior member

[​IMG]

That ikea ps cabinet is one of the best pieces of furniture ikea has ever put out, imho. It's extremely versatile and they have it in fire truck red.

clean space, nice work on the shelving unit placement.

7. thekunk07

thekunk07 Senior member

^yeah we have them in the office and the basement

8. mordecai

mordecai Immoderator

That ikea ps cabinet is one of the best pieces of furniture ikea has ever put out, imho.
    maybe you've never seen vintage ikea? hard to search on-line, but here are a few. [​IMG] [​IMG] flickr set/ flickr set 2

9. Rambo

Rambo Senior member

Really? I''ve never had that problem. Do you use low lustre or glossy on your walls or something? Shouldn't be too difficult with interior matte.
    The last few places I've rented have had textured painted walls and ceilings. If the hole is anything larger than a quarter you notice the lack of texture. If I try and texturize it myself, it looks like shit. So I just sort of feather out away from the hole in a wide radius.

10. otc

otc Senior member

The last few places I've rented have had textured painted walls and ceilings. If the hole is anything larger than a quarter you notice the lack of texture. If I try and texturize it myself, it looks like shit. So I just sort of feather out away from the hole in a wide radius.

If your walls are super textured (like when you do it intentionally and not just some bad-painting orange peel), I would guess you might have to try some ninja-spackling...

Use the texture to your advantage and sort of inject some spackle into the hole and sort of push at it with something like the sanded smooth and round end of a chopstick (instead of applying with a putty knife which always leaves you a circle around the hole). The goal here would be to only fill the hole and worry less about getting it perfectly flush to the wall. This way, when you paint over it, it will blend in just like the coin sized spackle spot blends in with a non-textured wall (you just want to avoid that "look, I just slapped paint over a nail hole thinking it would take care of it" look.

11. streetminimal

streetminimal Senior member

fuck osgood, that's awesome!

do you have a link to the wallpaper on your iMac?

12. Douglas

Douglas Stupid ass member

Looks good. Is that a Super NES? Sort of cute I guess but pretentiously displaying it alongside neatly stacked vintage Mad Magazines is trying awfully hard, isn't it?

13. TRINI

TRINI Senior member

Looks good. Is that a Super NES? Sort of cute I guess but pretentiously displaying it alongside neatly stacked vintage Mad Magazines is trying awfully hard, isn't it?

I'm guessing it's where it is because he plays it on that tv.

14. osgood

osgood Member

fuck osgood, that's awesome!

do you have a link to the wallpaper on your iMac?

Thank you,
    It is cropped from this http://www.flickr.com/photos/gustav531/4190772080/
    Not very high-res sorry.

You are probably right. I will have to consider that.. I play the nintendo every now and then, but I could just as well put in inside the cabinet, however I also like the look of it, so why hide it? Same thing with the magazines really, I like the covers. But it sure looks a bit pretentious, which I dont like at all [​IMG]. I dont know. Maybe it is the neatly stacking that makes it "trying to hard"...

15. Desi

Desi Senior member

i like it. much better than placing neatly stacked copies of classic books like Lolita and Dorian Gray. I will comment and say that it makes your room look like a showcase in a sample home. Since I like to play my consoles on the average showing them like that would be ideal, still would hide several of them but for you it works out fine.