Dismiss Notice

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

SF Cribs: The places behind the clothes

Discussion in 'Fine Living, Home, Design & Auto' started by designprofessor, Nov 15, 2006.

1. zjpj83

zjpj83 Senior member

There are real Mansions in NJ, they exist in places like Colts Neck.

Seriously? Colts Neck looks like it's 100% McMansion to me: http://www.realtor.com/realestateand.../Colts-Neck_NJ

Lots of beautiful estates in horse country - Somerset County and the surrounding area.

2. GQgeek

GQgeek Senior member

3. voxsartoria

voxsartoria Goon member

This is the worst thing I have ever seen.

I see the hand of Palladio.

- B

4. Wes Bourne

Wes Bourne Senior member

There are real Mansions in NJ, they exist in places like Colts Neck.

I live a short distance from there. You are quite right, but you would have to add Rumson to that list as well.

No shit? One of my sisters lives there and I never noticed any mansions driving around. A lot of good sized lots, but houses didn't strike me as huge. Same with neighbouring Marlboro Township where one of my brothers lives.

5. Dakota rube

Dakota rube Senior member

A bit better than yesterday, all day vomiting for
    ...Notice this box sticking out of the side on this one which I assume is a closet of some sorts.

[​IMG]

The box I think you are pointing out is a gas fireplace.

6. Pezzaturra

Pezzaturra Senior member

7. LabelKing

LabelKing Senior member

massive and elaborate, yes, but I think this was the point. I'm reserved about calling it tacky, I'm not sure how to do a 12,000 square foot home and NOT be tacky.

That dining room is particularly stunning. You get the sense that it's in a big, tall room, but the "canope" of sorts molds the room into a different layer of space ... a space within a space. And it just looks damn cool with those skinny pillars.

I find the bathroom to be quite beautiful.

You say elaborate, I say tacky... The whole arch motif repeated ad nauseum is tacky IMO, which is probably why LK likes it to begin with. It would be even if the house was 2,000 sq ft.

What did you think of the old 9 Columbus Circle?

[​IMG]

8. gdl203

gdl203 Affiliate Vendor Dubiously Honored Affiliate Vendor

Not a huge fan but not as bad - and it's not a private residence, which makes a world of difference

9. LabelKing

LabelKing Senior member

Apparently that Johnson house was built for entertaining.

The couple who built it lived somewhere else generally it seems.

10. gomestar

gomestar Super Yelper

I find the bathroom to be quite beautiful.

I actually meant to mention this, not sure why I didn't. But yes, the bathroom is arguably my second favorite room in the pictures I've seen. The place with the water and the reflections is quite cool, but IMO a little excessive and a little too focused on the novelty.

I've been meaning to get the GF a book on Johnson's Glass House, but that shit is like $70, I'll be buying wine for that much $$

11. LabelKing

LabelKing Senior member

I actually meant to mention this, not sure why I didn't. But yes, the bathroom is arguably my second favorite room in the pictures I've seen. The place with the water and the reflections is quite cool, but IMO a little excessive and a little too focused on the novelty. I've been meaning to get the GF a book on Johnson's Glass House, but that shit is like $70, I'll be buying wine for that much $$
    The use of plain marble for decorative effect reminds me of Adolf Loos's work for Villa Karma, which also used plain veined marble for the bathroom: [​IMG]

12. gomestar

gomestar Super Yelper

The use of plain marble for decorative effect reminds me of Adolf Loos's work for Villa Karma, which also used plain veined marble for the bathroom:

this is nice, not because I like dark marble (I'm not a big fan actually), but rather because of the way the marble blends into the general entrance. You notice the doors, not the multiple layers of stone (there are a dozen or so individual surfaces of stone in that picture).

I'm not a fran of brutalist brick, but rather concrete. Tadao Ando in particular, though I have a bias as the GF's firm is closely connected with Ando and his US work.

13. LabelKing

LabelKing Senior member

this is nice, not because I like dark marble (I'm not a big fan actually), but rather because of the way the marble blends into the general entrance. You notice the doors, not the multiple layers of stone (there are a dozen or so individual surfaces of stone in that picture).

I'm not a fran of brutalist brick, but rather concrete. Tadao Ando in particular, though I have a bias as the GF's firm is closely connected with Ando and his US work.

Speaking of Brutalism, here's Paul Rudolph's old apartment, which is extremely glam:

http://nymag.com/homedesign/fall2006/21968/

14. gomestar

gomestar Super Yelper

a little visually crowded for my tastes, but that is only a single picture. Would like to explore in person.

15. voxsartoria

voxsartoria Goon member

I might have something interesting to post here shortly...a bit of Modernist/International Style history.

- B