1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

SF Cribs: The places behind the clothes

Discussion in 'Fine Living, Home, Design & Auto' started by designprofessor, Nov 15, 2006.

1. otc

otc Senior member

I'll paint your walls for a fraction of the cost of a contractor. I can't gurantee a flawless job, but I can guarantee my US citizenship.

The painting part is fun...its the prep work that sucks MASSIVE balls

2. mordecai

mordecai Senior member

truly. spent as much (or more) time taping as i did applying 2 coats of primer and 2 coats of paint.

3. SpooPoker

SpooPoker Internet Bigtimer and Most Popular Man on Campus Dubiously Honored Affiliate Vendor

100% true. I taped off a room I painted for hours and still the god damn paint crept underneath. [​IMG]

4. otc

otc Senior member

100% true. I taped off a room I painted for hours and still the god damn paint crept underneath. [​IMG]
    I've learned how to cut a line without taping...I am not perfect like a pro though so it is a tradeoff between a perfect sharp line that is not perfectly staight (in any given 1ft section it looks straight but on the whole it sort of wobbles) and a kind of sloppy taped line that has bleeds but is ruler-straight. Doing it without tape wins for me though since it doesn't require the time to tape and you can't pull up old paint (good if you are painting two intersecting colors so the paint is not fully hard) The one trick to taping that does work though is to lay the tape down, paint with the color that you just taped over (so the bleeding blends in) and then paint over that with the new color. For me the bad prep part is cleaning/sanding/drywall taping/hole repair...painting walls in old apartments that have previously been painted by careless tools is not fun.

5. Rambo

Rambo Senior member

I can't get spackled holes to blend with the original paint to save my life. Other than that, painting's easy. If you fuck up, just paint over it again. Easy.

Use Frog Tape guys. WAY better than the 3M blue crap.

6. mordecai

mordecai Senior member

I can't get spackled holes to blend with the original paint to save my life. .

Really? I''ve never had that problem. Do you use low lustre or glossy on your walls or something? Shouldn't be too difficult with interior matte.

7. thekunk07

thekunk07 Senior member

+2. buying a house made in 1889 is probably really smart.

+1

I've never even painted a wall

8. osgood

osgood Member

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] Some photos from my student apartment.

9. zjpj83

zjpj83 Senior member

Some photos from my student apartment.

I like it.

10. otc

otc Senior member

Really? I''ve never had that problem. Do you use low lustre or glossy on your walls or something? Shouldn't be too difficult with interior matte.

This problem can happen in walls that have been painted poorly or very many times and have a pretty strong orange-peel effect (or it can happen in walls that are actually textured). The spackle sections will come out smoother than painted sections and the only perfect solution is to sand the whole wall to match.

11. gdl203

gdl203 Senior member Dubiously Honored Affiliate Vendor

osgood - love your place

12. mordecai

mordecai Senior member

looks good for a student place. one recommendation, hide your media/SNES (great choice), and put your goddamn comic books away, kid.
    This problem can happen in walls that have been painted poorly or very many times and have a pretty strong orange-peel effect (or it can happen in walls that are actually textured). The spackle sections will come out smoother than painted sections and the only perfect solution is to sand the whole wall to match.
    that makes sense. i've recently painted fresh dry wall, plaster, and my girlfriend's gallery, so that hasn't come up too much.

13. JayJay

JayJay Senior member

truly. spent as much (or more) time taping as i did applying 2 coats of primer and 2 coats of paint.
    +1. Taping is a huge pain.

14. otc

otc Senior member

Damn...I want to be a student in sweden

15. whiteslashasian

whiteslashasian Senior member

osgood - love your place

+1 Though I'd probably want a slightly large desk.

16. hboogz

hboogz Senior member

[​IMG]

That ikea ps cabinet is one of the best pieces of furniture ikea has ever put out, imho. It's extremely versatile and they have it in fire truck red.

clean space, nice work on the shelving unit placement.

17. thekunk07

thekunk07 Senior member

^yeah we have them in the office and the basement

18. mordecai

mordecai Senior member

That ikea ps cabinet is one of the best pieces of furniture ikea has ever put out, imho.
    maybe you've never seen vintage ikea? hard to search on-line, but here are a few. [​IMG] [​IMG] flickr set/ flickr set 2

19. Rambo

Rambo Senior member

The last few places I've rented have had textured painted walls and ceilings. If the hole is anything larger than a quarter you notice the lack of texture. If I try and texturize it myself, it looks like shit. So I just sort of feather out away from the hole in a wide radius.

20. otc

otc Senior member

The last few places I've rented have had textured painted walls and ceilings. If the hole is anything larger than a quarter you notice the lack of texture. If I try and texturize it myself, it looks like shit. So I just sort of feather out away from the hole in a wide radius.

If your walls are super textured (like when you do it intentionally and not just some bad-painting orange peel), I would guess you might have to try some ninja-spackling...

Use the texture to your advantage and sort of inject some spackle into the hole and sort of push at it with something like the sanded smooth and round end of a chopstick (instead of applying with a putty knife which always leaves you a circle around the hole). The goal here would be to only fill the hole and worry less about getting it perfectly flush to the wall. This way, when you paint over it, it will blend in just like the coin sized spackle spot blends in with a non-textured wall (you just want to avoid that "look, I just slapped paint over a nail hole thinking it would take care of it" look.