SF Cribs: The places behind the clothes

Discussion in 'Fine Living, Home, Design & Auto' started by designprofessor, Nov 15, 2006.

1. Sprezzatura2010

Sprezzatura2010 Senior member

I will never understand people who like to display their audio gear. You might as well walk around with your penis hanging out, IMO.

Agreed. Whenever possible, audio gear should be heard and not seen. The only things that should be visible are the universal remote and the speakers.

2. thekunk07

thekunk07 Senior member

absolutely amazing and equally unfathomable to me as a resident of long island. have looked into land/house of this level and cannot touch it.

A friend of mine who is a photographer stayed with us over the weekend and took a bunch of shots of our house. I thought that the photos turned out really well and wanted to share.

Exterior:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Living room:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Study:

[​IMG]

Dining room:

[​IMG]

Breakfast room:

[​IMG]

Kitchen:

[​IMG]

Master bedroom:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Guest bedroom:

[​IMG]

Hallway:

[​IMG]

3. freshcutgrass

freshcutgrass Senior member

In most cases, i would agree with you.

I think big-screen tvs are a much bigger problem to incorporate into decor, and given the fact that basically everybody has to have one...an almost universal faux pas.

It isn't so much that audio gear makes for poor decor accessories, but that either the choice of audio gear itself, or the way in which it is displayed being the issue. Unless it's a dedicated listening room, electronics should not dominate the room. And most dedicated audio/video cabinetry is horrible and adds to it dominating a room.

For that minority where music listening is important (more like a hobby/obsession), as opposed to the usual collection of questionable home theatre/computer setups, then it becomes an important aspect of personal lifestyle, and shouldn't need to be "hidden" (this is who I am).

And if the right choice of equipment and placement is made, it might be one noticeable function of the room, but is both good to look at and has a more subtle, tasteful effect. It can be as much a pride-and-joy to display as art, collectibles or a piano.

4. Stazy

Stazy Senior member

I think big-screen tvs are a much bigger problem to incorporate into decor, and given the fact that basically everybody has to have one...an almost universal faux pas.
    Theater rooms solve this problem nicely.

5. thekunk07

thekunk07 Senior member

mine is over the fireplace and fairly in-obtrusive.

6. Connemara

Connemara [URL='http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6jST2Sv63WQ']

Or the Pillsbury Doughboy.
    I dunno, kwilkinson was never good at architecture.

7. gdl203

gdl203 Affiliate Vendor Dubiously Honored Affiliate Vendor

Plasma screens are a major eyesore in any interior IMO. I especially loathe wall mounted plasma.

The best solution I've seen in person (but unfortunately wouldn't work well in our place) is Vincent Martinez's Literatura shelving unit. Saw it at the Conran shop in NYC and it is a very nice looking piece

[​IMG] [​IMG]

8. kronik

kronik Senior member

We have a 60" TV that completely dominates the room we have and is very difficult to decorate around. A theater room will be used for a projector, not this television. I game on this TV. If we ever manage to get a formal family room vs. formal living room, perhaps I can figure something out.

9. thekunk07

thekunk07 Senior member

^shit. how deep is the room to accomodate a 60 incher?

10. Artisan Fan

Artisan Fan Suitsupply-sider

^shit. how deep is Madonna to accomodate a 60 incher?

Fixed. [​IMG]

11. SField

SField Senior member

In most cases, i would agree with you.

It isn't so much that audio gear makes for poor decor accessories, but that either the choice of audio gear itself, or the way in which it is displayed being the issue. Unless it's a dedicated listening room, electronics should not dominate the room. And most dedicated audio/video cabinetry is horrible and adds to it dominating a room.

For that minority where music listening is important (more like a hobby/obsession), as opposed to the usual collection of questionable home theatre/computer setups, then it becomes an important aspect of personal lifestyle, and shouldn't need to be "hidden" (this is who I am).

And if the right choice of equipment and placement is made, it might be one noticeable function of the room, but is both good to look at and has a more subtle, tasteful effect. It can be as much a pride-and-joy to display as art, collectibles or a piano.

There is nothing more tacky than some shiny, out of tune piano that never gets played. The only thing more tacky than that is a white piano.

12. gdl203

gdl203 Affiliate Vendor Dubiously Honored Affiliate Vendor

There is nothing more tacky than some shiny, out of tune piano that never gets played. The only thing more tacky than that is a white piano.

How about a transparent one?

[​IMG]

13. LabelKing

LabelKing Senior member

14. Stazy

Stazy Senior member

15. LabelKing

LabelKing Senior member

That guy's bling is almost as bad as the piano. Gauche money for the win!

It's so bad, it's good.