1. I'd like to announce that animated avatars are now available again. You'll have to reload, but they are once more possible.

We've been doing a ton of work behind the scenes. The site load speed was already under 1/2 of what Huddler's was, on average, and we installed cloudflare, which means that the site should be even faster. A ton more will go on in the weeks and months to come, and some things will be more visibile, and some less.

Cheers,

Fok.

Dismiss Notice

"SF Approved" Items You Can't Get Behind

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by jrd617, Nov 30, 2010.

1. indesertum

indesertum Senior member

Anne Hathaway.

get in line

2. Larson McCord

Larson McCord Senior member

Yes, I knew that, so what? IIRC, monk straps predate the modern balmoral design, but there is plenty of hate for monk straps on SF.

The mere fact that you can point to generally stylish men (but see, e.g., Astaire's tendency to wear absurdly high-rise pants) who have worn it does not redeem it, in my 100% subjective view (which is the whole point of this thread, as you may recall), against the weight of day-to-day exposure. When I go to my office each day, it is rather obvious that men who wear ties because they enjoy them (i.e., they wear ties most days out of the week) are tying half-windsors or full windsors. Men who go open collared for weeks at a time and then only put on a tie when it's time to meet a new client or go to court uniformly favor FiH, in my experience.

I buy really thick ties and it seems that most high quality ties are made that way. A full or even half windsor looks ridiculous with a thick tie and it's really hard to get it to hang past your rib cage when done that way.

3. musicguy

musicguy Senior member

The incorrectly-name windsor (was never used by the Duke of Windsor) and its variants are the signature of nouveau-riche vulgarity, American footballers, and megalomaniacs such as Arnold Schwartzenegger, Hugo Chavez, and Vladimir Putin.

hahaha love it

4. ktrp

ktrp Senior member

I can't get behind getting my shirts made MTM.

OTR slim fitting shirts from different makers fit me well enough, plus 80% of the time, the shirts stay beneath my SC or suit jacket.

BTW, does anyone know what shirt brands offer tall/large collar shirts? I find them best for tie-less look with a suit or SC.

You mention 'well enough' and suggest shirts aren't all that visible anyway. You seem to assume M2M shirts are expensive. I suppose it depends what you spend on R2W. My M2M shirts are all cheaper then any RTW shirt I have, they are all around 60-70 including duty.

I bought an Eton shirt recently, it had a very substantial collar.

5. marblehouse

marblehouse Senior member

... Chelsea Boots.

6. MetroStyles

MetroStyles Senior member

ascots...sorry ratboy

chukkas...barf.

7. cptjeff

cptjeff Senior member

You can find pictures of all tie knots that look like crap. Ultra tiny knots from shitty thin ties are also disgusting. Then again shitty thin ties are disgusting. But, in my eyes, FIH and Double FIH knots are the only ways to go. Huge knots are disgusting. I'm never a fan of windsor or double windsor unless it's tied very tight with a collar that complements it. Most of the time, non-FIH knots are the square toed shoes of the tie world.

I'm forwarding this post to Prince Charles immediately. Hope the dungeons in windsor castle are fun!

Seriously, this kind of stuff is why I favor the Pratt. It strikes a nice balance between size and symmetry. I don't at all like the FiH, it's thinness and asymmetry bug me. It usually just looks sloppy, the tie every office worker forced to wear one uses, then loosens up and leaves tied for the next morning.

8. FStyles

FStyles Senior member

I know I'm not adding any value as usual cause this has got to be mentioned within the last 48 pages, but here are my [​IMG]

- Beaded man bracelets (with no religious symbolism?? wow)
    The uglier, flaming redheaded incestual child to the above is
    -The felt lapel flower.
    omfg fml. Thank GOD I've never seen an "iGent" rockin' this IRL.

-Mainline Brooks Brothers
    -Anything creed. makes me wanna [​IMG]
    -The arrogance of some Sr Members (usually the snark is funnay, but its the long, drawn out soliloquies about how "my style can kick your style's ass poasts that are annoying)

-Wasps (the insect)

9. mr. magoo

mr. magoo Senior member

Charleston, South Carolina

10. Coburn

Coburn Senior member

\\However the plain leather models in the pictures make me think of some eyeless, cave-dwelling abomination.

That's my visceral reaction -- they look creepy. They do invoke a similarity to some hairless rat.

11. zerostyle

zerostyle Senior member

Cuffs on jeans. Just looks awful to me. Especially the huge 2" type.

12. james_timothy

james_timothy Senior member

^Oh Yeah! [​IMG]

13. audiophilia

audiophilia Senior member

Peak lapels on single breasted suits
    Hats
    Bow ties
    Dress shoe colour other than black and the myriads of brown
    Tassles
    Triple monks
    Norwegians
    Thom Browne
    Lizard/croc/ostrich/manta shoes
    Scarfs with tuxedos

14. teddieriley

teddieriley Senior member

Cuffs on jeans. Just looks awful to me. Especially the huge 2" type.

What about the 5" kind? [​IMG]

15. radicaldog

radicaldog Senior member

I'm moving away from chiseled lasts and I think the forum's fascination with overly beveled waists and high, angled heels is rather feminine, if not downright ugly.

Thank you.

I think the forum fascination you describe is typical of a general MC-SF fallacy. It goes more or less like this.

P1: Average Joe's square-toed shoes are bad.
    P2: The opposite of bad is good.
    P3: Pointy is the opposite of square-toed.
    C: The pointier the shoes, the better.

Of course that's a caricature, but you probably get my point. The same goes with the 'slim fit' obsession ("Average Joe wears baggy clothing..."), and so on. As I see it, the argument is sound but not valid, as the conclusion obviously doesn't follow. The general (fallacious) thought seems to be that, since the masses can't dress classically, the more one's (supposedly) classical dresses is different from that of the masses, the better.