1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was. I'd like to keep you abreast of the improvements we've made over the past few days.
    @notification emails have been added, in response to user requests

Attached images are now Full Size by default

Users are now all allowed three (3) links in their signature files,

SSL certification is now in place so you can all browse securely.

The server has been reconfigured so that site speeds will improve.

Notice: Right now the site is slow because we are fixing all the images from the past 4 months. Many of you noticed that these were missing, and we are fixing that problem now. Unfortunately, it is taking up a lot of resources and causing the site to be slow.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

"SF Approved" Items You Can't Get Behind

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by jrd617, Nov 30, 2010.

1. constant struggle

constant struggle Senior member

call me crazy but i think the napolitan shoulder just doesn't look good on me...

2. BillyMaysHere!

BillyMaysHere! Senior member

SW&D does for shirts and sweaters if you call it deconstructed anti-fit. But any pants much roomier than leggings are right out.
    Funnily enough, I quite like baggy/oversized anti-fit stuff, because I've come to like anti-fashion. Simultaneously, I bang on about (and keep in mind) the importance of fit and keeping up appearances. Guess it takes one who knows the rules to break them.
    "stacking" enormous amounts of excess length on jeans...it makes your legs look scrawny and your overall silhouette look sloppy.
    If you replace the word scrawny with skinny, then you have half the picture (skinny's in, after all...). I think hemmed jeans are unwelcome with skinnier legged stuff on SW&D because it...I don't remember why, but I don't mind it now (though I don't do it.) It's apparently got something to do with proportions, much like cuffs I guess.
    call me crazy but i think the napoleon shoulder just doesn't look good on me...
    Do you mean neopolitan shoulder? I don't like it myself, but I can't vouch for whether or not it would suit me.

3. Da Luis Vuitton Don

Da Luis Vuitton Don Senior member

Read the title of the thread, Sir. Fedoras are not necessarily "SF Approved." Some like it plenty don't. Cuffs, maybe. Overly baggy clothes and jeans/tshirts? Who said SF approves of these thing? Unless they do over at the SW&D side, but I think we are speaking of Men's Clothing. EZ
    true, i miss read the title.my comment is regarding distasteful clothing in general. My apologies ol chap ██_ ============ = (ಠ_ృ)

4. EZETHATSME

EZETHATSME Senior member

^ It was rude of me to point out your brief aside to types of dress you dislike besides those that are "Style Forvm Approved." I fell in to the 'ol trap of INTERNET = SERIOUS BUSINESS! Don't EVER deviate from the subject of the thread!

Sorry for getting my panties in a bunch over nothing at all, my bad!

EZ

5. Da Luis Vuitton Don

Da Luis Vuitton Don Senior member

^ It was rude of me to point out your brief aside to types of dress you dislike besides those that are "Style Forvm Approved." I fell in to the 'ol trap of INTERNET = SERIOUS BUSINESS! Don't EVER deviate from the subject of the thread!

Sorry for getting my panties in a bunch over nothing at all, my bad!

EZ

spoken like a true gentleman[​IMG]

i wouldnt do to well in this thread as i am still learning what is SF approved...

im gonna put this out there; im pretty sure that skinny jeans are SF approved but i do not approve of them.or at least the way they are worn in my area....i do not approve [​IMG]

6. BillyMaysHere!

BillyMaysHere! Senior member

^You will not get any controversy posting such jeans opinions in MC. You can come out of hiding.

7. Will C.

Will C. Senior member

For my thicker ties I usually go with a Pratt/Shelby on all but my broadest spread collars -- more elegant than the FiH, less unwieldy than a half-windsor.
    Can't say that I find the pratt or shelby much less ugly than the windsor knots. A little more tasteful due to their size, but basically the same fish. Any knot that forms the shape of an equilateral triangle, as they do, is just doomed to fail aesthetically in my eyes: forced and unnatural, and the shape is fundamentallly wrong, because the top side of the triangle is too broad, resulting in a jarring and graceless clash between the squat bulbousness of the knot and the vertical movement of the rest of the tie. I don't think symmetry is a quality to pursue for its own sake. You will need to have breast pockets on both sides of your jacket if you need symmetrical clothes. However, if you must have symmetry in a tie knot, please consider the Christensen knot (also called the 'cross knot'). It has symmetry when tied skillfully, and it has the graceful proportions of a four-in-hand knot, thus avoiding the ugly equilateral bulbousness of the pratt, shelby, and windsor knots.

8. aizan

aizan Senior member

[​IMG]

peak lapels with patch pockets? i guess it's a bold move, not really feeling it.

the gorge may also be too high, unless you're short. hard to tell with the camera so close.

9. RSS

RSS Senior member

i wouldnt do to well in this thread as i am still learning what is SF approved...
    It all depends on the group you choose for comaraderie. There are almost always diametrically opposed groups. For example ... there are the love-them-black-suit-guys ... and the black-suit-a-no-no-fellows.

10. Art Vandelay

Art Vandelay Well-Known Member

The overwhelming preference to plain front to pleated. They both have their own places in one's wardrobe. For odd and casual pants I have no preference. But for suit pants much prefer pleated.

11. teddieriley

teddieriley Senior member

The overwhelming preference to plain front to pleated. They both have their own places in one's wardrobe. For odd and casual pants I have no preference. But for suit pants much prefer pleated.

But you're also into latex.

12. Ianiceman

Ianiceman Senior member

Three roll two - what's the point? Why not get a two button jacket and not have a pointless buttonhole messing up the line of the lapel?

Long pointy shoes. If your feet are really that big I feel sorry for you. If not then why are you wearing clown shoes?

Those fucking ridiculous 'grandma' coats.

13. Will C.

Will C. Senior member

notch lapels
    lapels
    shirts
    underwear
    gloves
    hats
    overcoats
    jackets
    neckties
    knitwear
    sportcoats
    blazers
    3 piece suits
    double-breasted suits
    single-breasted suits
    belts
    side adjusters
    zippers
    buttons
    braces/suspenders
    referring to braces as suspenders
    referring to suspenders as braces
    formalwear
    casualwear
    style
    clothes

14. Threadbearer

Threadbearer Senior member

Outside the Beltway but still in the Danger Zone
    Has anybody mentioned contrasting shoelaces? Oh yeah; I did.

Okay, how about grandma coats? Anybody mention that yet?

15. Will C.

Will C. Senior member

Has anybody mentioned contrasting shoelaces? Oh yeah; I did. Okay, how about grandma coats? Anybody mention that yet?
    ooh I forgot laces shoes that need laces loafers cordovan leather calfskin leather suede leather oxfords derbies referring to oxfords as balmorals not referring to oxfords as balmorals boots running shoes sandals and espadrilles wearing socks going sockless going barefoot

16. Ianiceman

Ianiceman Senior member

See # 294[​IMG]

17. Larson McCord

Larson McCord Senior member

what the hell is a grandma coat?

18. cptjeff

cptjeff Senior member

Things with visible fur and such, I presume.

19. Threadbearer

Threadbearer Senior member

Outside the Beltway but still in the Danger Zone
    See # 294[​IMG]
    D'oh!
    Sorry, man.

what the hell is a grandma coat?
    Be patient. That'll probably be the topic of next Friday's challenge.

20. Ianiceman

Ianiceman Senior member

No, tweedy things perhaps in glen plaid but using huge broadchecks that would make even Roger Moore embarrassed to wear. Absolutely pitiful.