Dismiss Notice

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

SF approved fat men?

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Notatinyman, Jun 25, 2012.

1. Sander

Sander Senior member

There was a guy the Sartorialist photographed often in the good, early days... quite balding (if I recall correctly), often with a cigar... does anyone have a link? He always looked great.

2. asturiano

asturiano Senior member

3. Digmenow

Digmenow Senior member

William Conrad as Frank Cannon.

[​IMG]

and from something a bit later...
    [​IMG]

4. jrd617

jrd617 Senior member

????

5. patrickBOOTH

patrickBOOTH Senior member Dubiously Honored

My whole family is overweight. I was growing up as well. My last year of college I lost 100 pounds. That was four years ago. People think it was some trick how I lost weight, but in reality I just stopped eating like a monster. I don't think it was purely genetic, I think it was mostly just horrible food choices and an unhealthy lifestyle.

6. Snedley

Snedley Senior member

It's a genetic predisposition which was why your entire family and you were fat. Ever see families where everyone is tall and thin? Or short and stocky? A predisposition doesn't always mean that everyone in a family will be fat or thin. Why wouldn't you believe that you inherit a certain body type? The distribution of and be built like an olympic swimmer and the other have a pot belly and narrow shouldered.

7. Elegantly Wasted

Elegantly Wasted Senior member

Such "genetic predisposition" happens too much in the U.S.of A.
    By comparison, I almost never see it's occurrence in Japan or South Korea... places where eating habits are very different from those in "occident".

8. patrickBOOTH

I think it is because people within a family have similar habits. Of course genetics play a part, but if your family binges on bread, pasta, pizza, and potato chips don't blame being fat on genetics. the whole slow metabolism excuse is also bullshit. If you don't eat as much, you will lose weight. Might take you longer, but it is just math and science.

9. deandbn

deandbn Senior member

I must disagree with you. It has nothing to do with the genes in 99% of case so, if we leave the word genetic out of it, we can say that someone is predisposed to be fat, and I will then say that he is predisposed to eat too much food and also not disposed to do exercise commensurate with what is eaten.

It is not about genetics, it is about lifestyle choices, as PBooth correctly states.
    I also think that the words 'genetics' and the word 'predisposed' are used as excuses by people that are too lazy to do anything constructive about their lifestyle aka fat.

10. patrickBOOTH

I agree because I used to use these excuses. When you buck up and face the reality you get to the truth, just as I have done.

11. RDiaz

RDiaz Senior member

Genetics may play a role, but the fact is that most people won't gain any weight if they eat correctly and don't have a sedentary lifestyle. What people usually call "eating normally" is actually eating too much. We're so used to overeating.

12. wj4

wj4 Senior member

I agree. I know that genetics play a big portion in our make up, but you can definitely take control of your physical health. Sure we all cannot get that cut symmetrical 6 pack set up, but we can get darn healthy.

The general foods out there are horrible. Back several decades, you just have your ham and cheeseburger. Now you have bacon triple double yada yada with enough grease to clog your arteries.

The thread just sure turned into a different direction, eh? Sorry for helping derail the thrad.

13. YoungAmerican

YoungAmerican Senior member Dubiously Honored

Will's far from fat.

14. b1os

b1os Senior member

Some people just burn excess calories easier than others. I know people that eat junk food all day long and drink coke or apple juice 24/7. Mathematically they would turn fat, but they don't (yet). Others would already have gained XX-XXX pounds. I'm in between. I'm not ultra skinny, but I'm far from fat. However, I easily gain muscles. Or, well, I have them without doing anything (lazyness... :().

But the genetic predisposition on whether you easily burn excess calories or "save" them only comes into play when you eat more than your body burns/needs. If you eat less, everyone (99.99%) will lose weight. Or let's put it like this: everyone will burn and lose fat. (You may still suffer from water retention, but that's another topic.) You (or at least no "normal" person) can't create energy out of nothing.

Last edited: Jun 27, 2012

15. patrickBOOTH

Human atomic bomb.