• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

SF approved fat men?

Notatinyman

Reaction score
I am looking for inspiration on what would/could work on me.

Are there any SF approved fat men?
[not comically fat men with size 60 waists]

mr monty

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I am looking for inspiration on what would/could work on me.
Are there any SF approved fat men?
[not comically fat men with size 60 waists]

How big are you?:hide:

lee_44106

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
A common theme among these threads is that the rotund one is in a suit.

It's quite taxing to be in suit all the time.

LeviMay

Reaction score
I can't find the link right now, but Michael Alden over at the London Lounge wrote a great article about wearing lighter colours, in which a "gentleman of stature" complained that lighter colours weren't as slimming. Mr. Alden replied something to the effect of "So what?" The trick, he argues, is to embrace your size and stature, rather than trying to hide it. Exercise and diet, of course, are necessary if one wants to change, but dressing how you wish and wearing your clothing comfortably and with confidence is what really makes a man stylish.

All that being said, I'm 6'4" and about 265lbs. I'm generally the only one in my vicinity in a suit or jacket, and dress as such regularly. I like being a big guy, and especially like being a well-dressed one.

Snedley

Reaction score
6' 2-3" 255 lbs. 46 1/2 chest. 42(jeans) 44(dockers)
Howold are you? I'm not fat but I know where you can get really nice high quality stuff at lower prices.It's not a store for fat men but a lot of these larger sizes are sometimes left over and you can get them at a good price. Usually the xxlarge and smalls.

RDiaz

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
46 chest and 42 waist is not a "large" size, at least not around here. It's on the upper limit, but at least you aren't limited to the scarce variety you can find in special sizes.

Notatinyman

Reaction score
46 chest and 42 waist is not a "large" size, at least not around here. It's on the upper limit, but at least you aren't limited to the scarce variety you can find in special sizes.

I used to be much bigger and have been fat for my entire life, so I have a poor self image (which I am slowly working on). In any case my size is large enough that I can still find stuff in fat people stores like rochester big and tall and have a hard time finding clothes in normal size stores.

Howold are you? I'm not fat but I know where you can get really nice high quality stuff at lower prices.It's not a store for fat men but a lot of these larger sizes are sometimes left over and you can get them at a good price. Usually the xxlarge and smalls.

I am 26.

RDiaz

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Well the fact that you can already find some stuff on "normal" sizes should make you proud of yourself! When I finally could fit inside a size 42 waist I was very happy and you should be too, even though you can't buy everything you'd like to. Just keep working on it, you'll find yourself getting tailored fit shirts in no time
smile.gif

patrickBOOTH

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I wouldn't call him fat, but a larger guy who always looks great is Will from A Suitable Wardrobe.

Blue-and-gray.jpg

Snedley

Reaction score
I used to be much bigger and have been fat for my entire life, so I have a poor self image (which I am slowly working on). In any case my size is large enough that I can still find stuff in fat people stores like rochester big and tall and have a hard time finding clothes in normal size stores.

I am 26.
A 46" chest at 6'2" is not terribly big and you'd fit into the normal range of clothes so you can find a lot of clothes in regular shops-you'd be like a 7 or 8 in a Lacoste polo. The problem that fatter men have is usually around the middle which is where men get the fat. Even if you lost weight you'd still likely be a 46 L. Since you say that you've always been big there's no point in telling you to lose weight because you're just a genetically big person. No point in starving yourself only to gain it all back, and usually more, but I'd try to stay fit and perhaps try to lose 20-30lbs over the next 2 years (if you can) If you consistantly lose a lb a month you'll probably keep it off.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.3%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.7%

Forum statistics

Threads