• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

SF Approved Backpacks

zeroconspiracy

Reaction score
Sounds like an oxymoron right?

Recent graduate. Trying to get rid of the Jansport type backpacks. Looking for something versatile and mature. Ideally used for travel: when i leave the hotel for some urban exploration, have a camera plus other bulky items (sweatshirt) and plan on doing some purchasing. Something i can wear with a button down, shorts and some sperrys or jeans, a t-shirt and tennis shoes. I saw something like this in last seasons Brooks Brothers catalog and have not been able to get it out of my head.

mulho178327_100055_lg.jpg

This would look best with a flannel, but i think it can work well with other looks as well.

Please post some pictures. No messenger bags. This bag is a little more rugged, which i like, but i also enjoy simple, clean, traditional bags. I try to keep my wardrobe timeless, so something that will look good 50 years ago, today and 50 years later.

Please advise.

arc

Reaction score
With anything that is both leather and "rugged", be cautious of the weight. You might be better off with a rugged canvas bag that doesn't add an extra 5-10 pounds. That's my (and many others') main complaint with the ubiquitously recommended Saddleback stuff, for example.

Frodo

Reaction score
I have this one - it's nice enough. Not quite as great as it looks in the pictures, and the straps are on the cheapish side (two layers of thin cheap leather with a fiber inner layer that ravels) but it's worth $100 and will probably never wear out.

http://www.llbean.com/llb/shop/54122...400-ppxs&dds=y

voxsartoria

Goon member
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Cant kill da Rooster
Is that ass bag SF approved?

eh.gif

Hard to say. It's the bag used to carry whnay. around.

So, it really depends on your political beliefs.

the_more_you_know2.jpg

- B

zeroconspiracy

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Frodo
I have this one - it's nice enough. Not quite as great as it looks in the pictures, and the straps are on the cheapish side (two layers of thin cheap leather with a fiber inner layer that ravels) but it's worth $100 and will probably never wear out.

http://www.llbean.com/llb/shop/54122...400-ppxs&dds=y

My back is hurting looking at it
frown.gif
but no pain no gain! Looks like it would last a LONG time. Ill have to check it out.

Originally Posted by Cant kill da Rooster
You might want to check these guys out. I use the Carter Duffel for day packing. It is a very durable bag. I purchased this Pre SF so not sure if they would approve but you might want to take a look.

http://store.thepropertyof.com/categ...s-%26-duffels/

Very nice
biggrin.gif
. practical and clean. Thanks for the heads up.

Cant kill da Rooster

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by voxsartoria
Hard to say. It's the bag used to carry whnay. around.

So, it really depends on your political beliefs.

the_more_you_know2.jpg

- B

I am a strong believer in ass.

cotton

Reaction score
Funny. I think Jansports have a clean, classic look that's infinitely more stylish than any of the monstrosities suggested here. The leather, the bulky pockets, the trim, the straps, the buckles....it's all a bit much.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads