SF and me -- the first 50 days

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by marin, Mar 25, 2009.

1. marin

marin Senior member

I've become a daily visitor since discovering this forum. This past weekend, I noticed the effect SF has had on me. While attending a formal ceremony at my daughter's school, I was constantly distracted by the multitude of style offenses. Some of my thoughts:

- Pants too long
    - Why don't guys tie a proper knot?
    - You should've at least ironed the collar
    - Pants too short...and those are ugly socks
    - Wow - I need to introduce him to my tailor
    - I've never seen shoes like that...must do some research on SF
    - Did you buy the jacket on your way over? The thread holding your vent together is dangling...

Thanks to many of you for sharing great information -- I've enjoyed learning more about the construction, care and coordination of mens clothing. My savings account thanks you less since I realized how inadequate my wardrobe is and have begun replacing the worst offenders, especially shoes. [I'm the proud new owner of AE and AS shoes -- yes, goodyear welted and freshly polished before wearing -- and search diligently on B&S and eBay for my next acquisition]

I look forward to contributing more in the future.

2. emmanuel

emmanuel Senior member

And another snob created by style forum! Welcome [​IMG]

3. just thoughts

just thoughts Well-Known Member

I have become the same way. The commentary is pervasive. I've had friends call and ask if something that [insert random person's name here] makes sense, would look good, etc. I've become everyone's new shopping buddy.

(Sniff) Thanks, SF. I couldn't have done it without you.

4. youngScholar

youngScholar Senior member

I've become the same way, particularly with shoes. I almost can't help myself doing a sartorial "sizing up."

5. 3stylelife

3stylelife Active Member

Yeah, it's great how just reading/thinking/writing about this stuff (any niche expert topic, really) makes you all the more observant about it. It's a virtuous cycle.

6. constant struggle

constant struggle Senior member

Although you do eventually reach a point where you no longer care what other people are wearing, you need to realize they don't care about looking well, so there is no point in making a comment, in your head or not.

7. Bradford

Bradford Current Events Moderator

Once again the evil plan has succeeded [​IMG]

8. Mr. Moo

Mr. Moo Boxercise Toughguy

Be careful: there is a fine line between being an observant know-it-all and an annoying know-it-all telling people how they should dress/what they need to improve.

9. JoeWoah

JoeWoah Senior member

Hollywood for Ugly People... Washington, DC
    Once again the evil plan has succeeded [​IMG]

It's time to take over the world!

10. Rudi

Rudi Senior member

Yeah, it's great how just reading/thinking/writing about this stuff (any niche expert topic, really) makes you all the more observant about it. It's a vicious cycle.

Fixed

11. laufer

laufer Senior member

Be careful: there is a fine line between being an observant know-it-all and an annoying know-it-all telling people how they should dress/what they need to improve.

+1 Voice of reason

12. musicguy

musicguy Senior member

I'm pretty much in the same boat as OP. Luckily I don't think I've gone down the path of judging other people's fashion decisions... well not too much.

I've realized that most of my shirts don't fit correctly. I wondered why I liked wearing a select few. It's because all of the others are so incredibly baggy. I can't believe I bought these four Alfani button downs when they fit so bad and look pretty crappy. I also bought a Macy's tuxedo last year that doesn't fit me at all. It's a 42L and I'm barely a 40L. I'm literally swimming in it.

All of the suits I've owned in the past fit terribly! I'm surprised no one mentioned it to me before. I had a black suit I wore all the time that I thought was halfway decent... I can't even look at it now.

So, in the month or two since I've been actively following this site, I've bought a proper RLBL suit, a nice pair of AE shoes and some nice socks, a nice tie (luckily I still have a few salvagable ties), some pants that actually fit me and a nicer dress shirt. I actually was able to go to a tailor and point out things that he didn't even notice at first. I probably won't be using that tailor again though.

I've had a friend who dresses quite well recently tell me that I've all of a sudden upgraded my style. I also had a friend who wears very nice expensive suits and shoes mention that my AEs totally upstood his shoes that I found out he payed 4x what I did for. Thanks, SF.

Incedentally, I've spent twice what I usually do on my credit card last month. Luckily, due to my career, most of the clothing is a tax-deduction.

I recently went into a high-end men's clothing store and tried on a beautiful Kiton sportcoat and some amazing shoes... One day I may be able to actually afford them.

13. JayJay

JayJay Senior member

+1 Voice of reason
    +2

14. JayJay

JayJay Senior member

I recently went into a high-end men's clothing store and tried on a beautiful Kiton sportcoat and some amazing shoes... One day I may be able to actually afford them.
    I have a feeling it may be sooner than you've planned. [​IMG]

15. just thoughts

just thoughts Well-Known Member

+1

What I've learned - it's almost easier to see when someone dresses well, as opposed to when they don't (in more mainstream cases). Some folks get caught up in wanting to look like someone else that they forget that style is personal, and takes time to cultivate.

I like to try to get people to train their eye a bit differently, focus on fit over brand, and then start thinking about how they want to present themselves through their clothing.