• I'm happy to introduce the Styleforum Happy Hour, our brand new podcast featuring lively discussion about menswear and the fashion industry. In the inaugural edition, a discussion of what's going on in retail today. Please check it out on the Journal. All episodes will be also be available soon on your favorite podcast platform.

• Hi, we have updated our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy in anticipation of the upcoming new Calfornia laws, the CCPA. If you are a resident of California, these rights pertain to you. Thanks - Styleforum Team.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Sewing suit coat/blazer jacket sleeves closed when lengthening sleeves

BeaconHillBro

Reaction score
Just noticed that the tailor I've used for small-scale stuff, which included having the sleeves lengthened on various jackets, sewed the jackets' cuffs closed when adding length. Where there should be a vent there is now just one seam with the buttons sewn onto it.

I've had some of these jackets for years, but now that I've seen this I can't look away, and it's really annoying me.

Is this common? Can jacket sleeves be lengthened in a way that preserves the sleeve vent? We're not talking working cuffs here; these were just mid-to-middle+ range off-the-peg jackets with sewn-on buttons (Canali, Brooks Brothers, HF).

I'm a regular with long arms so sleeve lengthening needs to keep happening, but this is disappointing.

Last edited:

unclesam099

Reaction score
Find a different tailor that knows what they are doing. Ask them to see a jacket with sleeves that they have just altered. Then show them your jacket that has the problem. They'll understand and fix you up.

Were you using an alteration shop or a tailor (there is a difference...)?

oldog/oldtrix

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Find a different tailor that knows what they are doing. Ask them to see a jacket with sleeves that they have just altered. Then show them your jacket that has the problem.
Or learn to do it yourself; it's an easy alteration. Here's the coat I'm wearing today; purchased OTR with sleeves and lining not tailored for working buttonholes. I shortened the sleeves about an inch, but the finished work is the same for both lengthening and shortening.

GBR

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
An incompetent tailor, find another. You might challenge the outgoing one to rectify his or her work - without charge.

a tailor

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
if the vent allowance has been turned inside and not
cut off, then it is repairable.

Styleforum is proudly sponsored by

Featured Sponsor

How wide do you like your leg opening on your trousers?

• 7”

Votes: 52 16.8%
  • 7.5”

Votes: 106 34.3%
  • 8”

Votes: 92 29.8%
  • 8.5”

Votes: 34 11.0%
  • 9”

Votes: 12 3.9%
  • 9.5”

Votes: 7 2.3%