• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Sewing down pleats

qertw

Reaction score
Hello all!

So I've got these old dress pants in my closet, which now fit me since I've taken up a healthier lifestyle, but unfortunately they've got pleats in the front (which I'm not a huge fan of).

I've been doing some reading, and I've basically found that there are two things I can do:

- pay a tailor to remove the pleats (expensive)
- sew down the pleats (seems kind of half assed)

Although its kind of half assed, I'm leaning towards the latter option.

Has anyone done this before? Any pics of how it turned out? Are you happy with the results?

Any opinion is welcome!

Thanks everyone

ter1413

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
pay a tailor to do it right.

Gus

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I would leave them alone and have them taken in at the waist to look their best. If you don't like pleats then buy new FF pants. Sewing down pleats won't be the same as FF pants.

ginlimetonic

Reaction score
I'm a skinny bloke and I love my fuller double pleats on all my 10 pairs of trousers (fledging MTM wardrobe)...

Single pleat, double pleat, or FF are a personal choice, and if you're wearing FF all the time, pleats may be unfamiliar with the way cloth bunches up when you sit different. I advise you to just stick with it, its not really a fit issue, but a style issue.

Alterations can be expensive, and avoid doing so if possible: analogy, surgery on a person - avoid if possible.

Matt S

Reaction score
Single pleats can effectively be converted into darts, though the dart should be moved closer to the pocket. Double pleats need to be partially removed if you want to make a dart (2 darts on each side is too much).

qertw

Reaction score
Very helpful advice, thanks guys!

I believe they`re double pleats, so I`m not sure if darting will work. The surgery analogy really makes sense, so I guess I`ll either find a tailor that can do it right, or simply leave it.

amplifiedheat

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
As a principle, real men wear pleats.

ljrcustom

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by ter1413
pay a tailor to do it right.

+1. Or just leave them as they are with the pleats.

-LR

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 81 36.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 83 37.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 23 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.9%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 16.4%

Forum statistics

Threads