1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Severe Brooks Brothers issues

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Jay Gatsby, Jan 27, 2011.

1. porcelain monkey

porcelain monkey Senior member

Interesting. I have two extra slim fit non-iron shirts that i would love to exchange for their regular cotton extra slim fit. Will they do this in store?

If they are priced the same (which they generally are) it should not be an issue. I returned three non-iron shirts that I have worn for nearly two years recently. I had to talk to the manager, but they did it without comment. I kept expecting them to soften up a bit and not chaff my skin, but they did not. I would encourage anyone who does not like the non iron shirts to return them. Perhaps BB will go back to making shirts out of better materials.

2. phoenixrecon

phoenixrecon Senior member

They will not stop making the non iorn shirts anytime soon since it bassically makes up half of their sales

3. porcelain monkey

porcelain monkey Senior member

They will not stop making the non iorn shirts anytime soon since it bassically makes up half of their sales

And half of their returns?

4. EBugatti

EBugatti Senior member

Unfortunately, you are correct on this. I was in the Chevy Chase, MD Brooks Brothers store recently, and the manager said they are actually going to be carrying fewer and fewer all-cotton shirts in favor of more non-iron as that is where the demand is growing. Unbelievable.

5. Achilles_

Achilles_ Senior member

Unfortunately, you are correct on this. I was in the Chevy Chase, MD Brooks Brothers store recently, and the manager said they are actually going to be carrying fewer and fewer all-cotton shirts in favor of more non-iron as that is where the demand is growing. Unbelievable.

I can't even find a light blue, regular cotton, extra slim fit shirt with anything but button down or pinpoint anymore [​IMG]

All they have is white [​IMG]

P.S. Why doesn't BB make a good spread collar? All they have in Ainsley but that seems to be in short supply

6. phoenixrecon

phoenixrecon Senior member

They have about 40 collar options through their MTO program btw

7. andrew96

andrew96 Senior member

When you can get something made to fit you here in America for the same prices, yes, those prices are pretty bad.

http://blank-label.com/

8. Patek

Patek Senior member

Not true, Hong Kong puts out some fantastic clothing and I'm impressed by a lot of what's made in China these days.

Brooks Golden Fleece is fantastic and at reasonable price levels. Their shirts are $175-$200 and suits are about $1600-$2300. That's not bad at all.

I only buy their GF suits and iron needed shirt (luxury and BF Supina) and I find them all to be great quality as well as their shoes. I usually get their stuff on sale so about $1000 for a GF suit.

Also, I like their travel bags and have found them to be great quality.

9. kgmessier

kgmessier Senior member

Rather than start a new thread, I figure I'll just piggyback on this one…

I picked up a BB Fitzgerald sport coat yesterday and need to have it taken in a bit at the waist. The SA suggested I take it to one of the larger BBs to have one of their in-house tailors do the work. Is there a real advantage to having them do the work versus bringing it to my own tailor? I have no experience with BB in-house tailoring.

10. patrickBOOTH

patrickBOOTH Senior member Dubiously Honored

Rather than start a new thread, I figure I'll just piggyback on this one...

I picked up a BB Fitzgerald sport coat yesterday and need to have it taken in a bit at the waist. The SA suggested I take it to one of the larger BBs to have one of their in-house tailors do the work. Is there a real advantage to having them do the work versus bringing it to my own tailor? I have no experience with BB in-house tailoring.

If the best alterations tailor in your area is closer go to them. If the larger BB is close go there. I don't think it makes much difference. Taking in a jacket a bit in the waist is Sewing 101.

11. CaymanS

CaymanS Senior member

I have recently had severe problems with the cloth in the armpit region of my BB shirts tearing apart. Like, really badly. When it happened the first time, I thought it was a fluke. Then it happened again and the pattern became troubling. As Dubya famously said, "There's an old saying in Tennessee "” I know it's in Texas, probably in Tennessee "” that says, fool me once, shame on "” *pauses* "” shame on you. Fool me "” *pauses* "” You can't get fooled again."

12. MyOtherLife

MyOtherLife Senior member

Interesting how the OP abandoned the thread on the first post and it has taken a life of its own without him.

13. Cuttingboard

Cuttingboard Senior member

I kept expecting them to soften up a bit and not chaff my skin, but they did not. I would encourage anyone who does not like the non iron shirts to return them. Perhaps BB will go back to making shirts out of better materials.
    I just received an order from BB several months ago and I'm having the same problem. The cotton material is very ruff chaffs my neck and has not softened after several washings. Since I bought online, I have my emailed receipt so I should have a problem returning. How difficult are their regular cotton shirts to iron and how fast do they get wrinkled? Are the basic non-iron dress shirts and their fashion non-iron dress shirts made in the same place? Curious because the fabric on the fashion non-iron are a lot smoother and easier to iron.

14. Ataturk

Ataturk Senior member

I made what'll probably be my last order with them recently. The website said gray pants. It showed light gray pants. I ordered them hemmed and apparently missed the part where I was supposed to specify that I wanted 1.75" cuffs. No problem, I guess, since I e-mailed them a minute or two later to ask for it.

I got a response saying the pants had been packed for shipping and that it was absolutely impossible to fulfill my request. As you can imagine, the pants didn't ship for two weeks, and when they did they were already altered with smaller cuffs.

Oh, and they were the wrong color, charcoal rather than light gray as shown in the picture on the website. So I sent them back along with something from a prior order. In addition to not refunding the shipping (something like $15), they charged me three times (that's $21 -- $7 from one refund, $7 from another refund, a new $7 charge to my credit card for good measure) for return shipping with their label. That's a simple mistake, I guess, but they have adamantly refused to admit it over a series of e-mails. The best I was able to get was one $7 charge refunded after like 5 back-and-forths.

15. Orgetorix

Orgetorix Senior member

Non-iron shirts have exactly one good thing going for them: they don't require ironing. In every other respect, they're inferior. The treatment weakens the fabric, so they don't last as long and they rip in odd places. It also gives them a much stiffer hand that tends to chafe at the neck. It also makes them less breathable, so they wear hotter in the summer. It can't be used on fine fabrics for the above reasons, so the GF shirts and most of the luxury line are still must-iron.

But none of that matters to most BB customers, who are happy to pay $50-80 for shirts they don't have to iron. So they sell like hotcakes. When I worked there we sold non-irons at least 10:1 over regular finish shirts.

I don't think Brooks is working with Greenfield anymore.
    why would they, when they dumped so much money into the southwick factory.
    I could be wrong.

I asked the Southwick reps at the trade shows in Jan regarding this.

Greenfield still does some of it, which is why shoreman still saw some BB on the racks during his recent Greenfield visit chronicled on the SF Frontpage.

What the split is & how it works I do not know. but Greenfield is not entirely out of the BB picture, at least not yet.

AFAIK it's the same as it was a couple years ago. BB has two MTM programs. The 1818 MTM is machine made, half canvassed, and made by Southwick. Golden Fleece MTM has some handwork, is fully canvassed, has somewhat more flexibility in terms of fit adjustment and style options, and is still made by Greenfield.

16. classicusa

classicusa Well-Known Member

Many buyers made their last purchase from them this past Holiday season. They really screwed the pooch this year with their terrible inventory mgmt.

The place has been going downhill since I started shopping there in 1985. Although new ownership group has brought them back from the dead, they are like a star that goes supernova; its gets brighter before it finally dies. They are going through the stage where they are trying to be many more things to a wider audience. They have abandoned the customer base that made them what they were. To be fair, that customer base has probably abandoned them over the past 15-20 years as casual days and casual always has moved into the workplace. BB is trying to find a formula that will allow them to survive, and it is trying to satisfy the upscale Banana Republic customer who is moving into suits and "Black Fleece." Black Fleece? What a joke.

If I am looking for the conservative stuff I always want, they are not who I think of first. And I don't think they care. They'll milk their OCBD market til they can't. They'll milk their Alden market as much as they can until customers realize that their cordovan shoes are $45 more than the Alden list price, and finally get ticked off. They already lost their hold in suits and ties. Its just a matter of time, and its not going their way.

And how can you be upscale when you have a couple hundred stores? I remember when they had a store in each major city, maybe a second in Chicago or LA. Now they are in mid-level malls and outlet centers. Nuf said.

17. Cuttingboard

Cuttingboard Senior member

Non-iron shirts have exactly one good thing going for them: they don't require ironing. In every other respect, they're inferior. The treatment weakens the fabric, so they don't last as long and they rip in odd places. It also gives them a much stiffer hand that tends to chafe at the neck. It also makes them less breathable, so they wear hotter in the summer. It can't be used on fine fabrics for the above reasons, so the GF shirts and most of the luxury line are still must-iron.

But none of that matters to most BB customers, who are happy to pay $50-80 for shirts they don't have to iron. So they sell like hotcakes. When I worked there we sold non-irons at least 10:1 over regular finish shirts.

AFAIK it's the same as it was a couple years ago. BB has two MTM programs. The 1818 MTM is machine made, half canvassed, and made by Southwick. Golden Fleece MTM has some handwork, is fully canvassed, has somewhat more flexibility in terms of fit adjustment and style options, and is still made by Greenfield.

I may as well not buy the non-iron shirts since I still iron them anyway. I wash and put them in the dryer on low for 30 minutes to get the water out and then hang them when they are damp and then iron. I'll keep the non-iron for travel purposes.

18. EuroCyclist

EuroCyclist Member

If I am looking for the conservative stuff I always want, they are not who I think of first.

Just curious, as when i am looking for conservative american stuff, i go to brooks brothers first...what places do you now consider first?
    Thanks.

19. classicusa

classicusa Well-Known Member

Euro,

I must say, in my opinion, there is no "go to" place anymore. Used to be BB. Can't count on them now.

I am looking for new places/suggestions. Any ideas?

20. Patek

Patek Senior member

Rather than start a new thread, I figure I'll just piggyback on this one...

Their GF is free alterations so that may count for something if you are buying GF.