• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Seven Year Career Itch: Teaching

FtRoyalty

Reaction score
Sorry about another ubiquitous career advice/feedback thread...

I know there are a couple current and/or former teachers on here, but I'll open this up to others as well. I am currently in my seventh year of teaching English and coaching, but I am beginning to get bored. I enjoy my students and have had success in the profession, but the monotony is beginning to catch up with me. The usual lateral moves of administration and guidance do not appeal to me. I just renewed my teaching license, so I have five years. For the former teachers, what careers did you transition into?

Note: I have a couple graduate credits in instructional technology and thinking about getting a masters.

BlackShoes

Reaction score
Get out of teaching before it stains your CV, when people ask, say you were addicted to crack and needed the money to pay off your dealer. That should go some way towards ameliorating the damage caused so far.

rach2jlc

Prof. Fabulous
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by brown eyes
when in doubt, graduate school.
+1. Always a good decision, I find (though, of course this depends on family circumstances, as it is easier to become a full time student while single). It's also good because right now career switching is particularly difficult, especially if you have no experience outside of teaching. Being in grad school is a positive/good way to be working on something while waiting/hoping for the job market to improve.
Originally Posted by BlackShoes
Get out of teaching before it stains your CV, when people ask, say you were addicted to crack and needed the money to pay off your dealer. That should go some way towards ameliorating the damage caused so far.
I know you are joking, but it's sad that our culture has such a negative view and disregard of teachers. There are still a few places on earth where we can proudly claim to be teachers and not have to say it in a hushed tone, though sadly none of these are in English-speaking lands.

kungapa

Reaction score
Originally Posted by rach2jlc
+1. Always a good decision, I find (though, of course this depends on family circumstances, as it is easier to become a full time student while single). It's also good because right now career switching is particularly difficult, especially if you have no experience outside of teaching. Being in grad school is a positive/good way to be working on something while waiting/hoping for the job market to improve.

This is what MBAs were made for, no.

MaxHeadroom

Reaction score
What's wrong with teaching?

It's not that bad a career move after many years gaining experience working in industry, and maybe some people would like to do things for others, and help pass on their knowledge.

SField

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I know you are joking, but it's sad that our culture has such a negative view and disregard of teachers. There are still a few places on earth where we can proudly claim to be teachers and not have to say it in a hushed tone, though sadly none of these are in English-speaking lands.

Aren't you a prof at the university level though?

Primary and secondary school teachers are scoffed at because of how horrific the education system in america is, and because of how just about anyone can become a teacher. Both of those issues have complex causes and solutions and both issues obviously don't tell the whole story (hence prejudices which should not be applied to many teachers out there.) In any case, it shouldn't be that way. In other parts of the world, being a teacher is something that grants one a certain level of respect in society that we don't really get here.

gamelan

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
at the software company where i work at, we've had a few former teachers transition really well into presales engineering positions. one of them actually heads up the department. but the skillset seems to transfer over nicely so it's not like your years of teaching were for naught.

-Jeff

impolyt_one

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
My dad ended up makng the beginnings of what is a classroom productivity software that is run by Apple and does work on that still. A few former teachers benefited from things like that pretty well and there is still a lot to bring to schools in terms of obtainable technologies, most teachers will never have the time to work on software but they are among the ones most knowledgeable to do so.

BlackShoes

Reaction score

I wasn't joking.

uhurit

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
...All things considered, probably not the best time to change careers. Instead, become a very good, well-respected, innovative teacher, and take pride in what you do

CBrown85

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I haven't been teaching for long, but I think the requirements in Canada are different than they are in the states. To teach anything but shop you need two undergraduate degrees, so I've been working pretty hard to get in. Also, once you've got your degrees it's basically a fight to actually get hired (as an on-call. good luck actually gettting a contract) because of the number being cranked out vs. the shrinking district sizes, so I'm pretty lucky.

That said, if you've been teaching for seven years (which I read is the average career length of a teacher) you're either hitting a natural burnout or you just need a change. Change schools if you want to stay in but need a different environment. But if you see yourself just being unhappy, you're not going to be a very good teacher. It's one of those things you kind of have to emotionally invest in, especially when so many people hate you for no particularly good reason.

madstaxbro

Reaction score
I have K - 5 credentials, teaching in a private school. The workload is really easy to get through + lesson plans are cake. If I were you I'd transition into some sort of craft like leatherworking or cordwaining, even SF is a great resource.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 86 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 23 10.2%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 16.0%

Forum statistics

Threads