• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Seven Habits For Eating Right

breakz

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I've heard a lot of mention of "no fat" and "lots of veggies" and various diet things thrown around here on SF, and some of it contradicts other info I've seen. For example, this idea of "no fat," in my opinion, is something tossed around by companies like Nabisco who want to push "low fat," high-carb, highly addictive snacks onto people.

So I found this through T-Nation, the site I personally swear by for lifting. It's a diet plan by John Berardi that suggests guidelines for ANY diet one is on, whether bulking or cutting.

http://www.johnberardi.com/articles/...on/7habits.htm

Thoughts? I might use this as the basis for a mini-fat loss phase over the next three weeks, combined with cardio and Rippetoe's, before I try two weeks of V-Diet at the end of May. What do you guys think?

California Dreamer

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have a few thoughts:

1. It's totally impractical. I cannot fit meals every 2-3 hours into my day. And eating 8 meals a day every 3 hours implies getting up in the middle of the night to eat. Similarly eating whole protein 5 times a day is also impractical. Would you want to participate in a business with me while I tucked into a tin of tuna?

People have lies beyond their get-fit objectives. An impractical diet is one that won't last more than a couple of weeks.

2. The riders about "post-workout drinks" clearly assume the presence of a workout. This is a giveaway that the results he's seeing from this regime may be attributable to energy expended through working out just as much as from his magic recipe.

One size does not fit all.

Philosoph

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by breakz
I've heard a lot of mention of "no fat" and "lots of veggies" and various diet things thrown around here on SF, and some of it contradicts other info I've seen. For example, this idea of "no fat," in my opinion, is something tossed around by companies like Nabisco who want to push "low fat," high-carb, highly addictive snacks onto people.

So I found this through T-Nation, the site I personally swear by for lifting. It's a diet plan by John Berardi that suggests guidelines for ANY diet one is on, whether bulking or cutting.

http://www.johnberardi.com/articles/...on/7habits.htm

Thoughts? I might use this as the basis for a mini-fat loss phase over the next three weeks, combined with cardio and Rippetoe's, before I try two weeks of V-Diet at the end of May. What do you guys think?

Sounds like you're on the right track. I don't know who around here is touting "no fat".... but don't listen to it.

thekunk07

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by jv17
ok i'm on a diet..
try this its effective

brunch:
1 cup of rice + viand

afternoon snack
oatmeal or fruits

dinner:
veggies/viand/fruits
as many as you can..

it will help you..trust me..

this is great if you want to have no muscle and live in a perpetually catabolic state.

Sauwan

Reaction score
Originally Posted by California Dreamer
I have a few thoughts:

1. It's totally impractical. I cannot fit meals every 2-3 hours into my day. And eating 8 meals a day every 3 hours implies getting up in the middle of the night to eat. Similarly eating whole protein 5 times a day is also impractical. Would you want to participate in a business with me while I tucked into a tin of tuna?

While it might not be the easiest thing, it's not totally impractical. And it by no means implies getting up in the middle of the night. He said

Eat every 2-3 hours, no matter what. You should eat between 5-8 meals per day.
If you eat 8 meals a day, they should be spaced at the shorter end of the spectrum (2 hours) which implies 16 hours of being awake. If you eat 5 per day they should be spaced every 5 hours which implies being awake for 15 hours. Both of these leave 8 and 9 hours respectively for sleep.

The "meals" would be small enough to be eaten quickly and I don't think it would really have any effect on a persons business if done discretely. This seems very reasonable to me in fact.

breakz

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have a few thoughts:

People have lies beyond their get-fit objectives. An impractical diet is one that won't last more than a couple of weeks.

2. The riders about "post-workout drinks" clearly assume the presence of a workout. This is a giveaway that the results he's seeing from this regime may be attributable to energy expended through working out just as much as from his magic recipe.

One size does not fit all.

I'm actually stacking 5-6 meals into my days already, and its important to do so in order to avoid high caloric surplus (that gets converted into fat while you sit at your desk).

All you need is a can of tuna, almonds, and an apple (for example), and you've got all three macronutrients at a total of 500 calories in a quick meal. Six times a day, and you get the 2500-3000 needed to bulk. Cut the meal down to 300-350 (replace apple with veggies, eat less almonds, for example), and you've got the 1800-2100 needed to cut.

As for #2...I mean, you're kind of dismissing his plan here because of a potential exogenous effect ("working out might have caused fat loss!"). Reread the article, and you'll see its not "guidelines for fat loss"--they're "guidelines for eating right."

I should clarify: I think these 7 steps are good for ANY diet, bulk or cut, and want opinions as to whether you guys agree.

breakz

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by jv17
ok i'm on a diet..
try this its effective

brunch:
1 cup of rice + viand

afternoon snack
oatmeal or fruits

dinner:
veggies/viand/fruits
as many as you can..

it will help you..trust me..

I'm not the best expert on diet...but this doesn't seem too good. I've tried this before, and I ended up catabolizing my muscles, finishing at a skinny-fat 150lb (up to 175lb now, body fat in the high teens to 20%, hence the post
blush.gif
).

breakz

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by shoe
i think for the USA, we all can improve drastically our health if we just simply:

1) cut out french fries at least

2) moderate soda consumption

3) dont eat 2-3 hours before going to bed

4) drink alcohol less

Amen, brother.

JayJay

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
i think for the USA, we all can improve drastically our health if we just simply:

1) cut out french fries at least (french fries are literal DEATH STICKS.. )

4) drink alcohol less

This makes sense to me.

California Dreamer

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by breakz
I'm actually stacking 5-6 meals into my days already, and its important to do so in order to avoid high caloric surplus (that gets converted into fat while you sit at your desk).

All you need is a can of tuna, almonds, and an apple (for example), and you've got all three macronutrients at a total of 500 calories in a quick meal. Six times a day, and you get the 2500-3000 needed to bulk. Cut the meal down to 300-350 (replace apple with veggies, eat less almonds, for example), and you've got the 1800-2100 needed to cut.

As for #2...I mean, you're kind of dismissing his plan here because of a potential exogenous effect ("working out might have caused fat loss!"). Reread the article, and you'll see its not "guidelines for fat loss"--they're "guidelines for eating right."

I should clarify: I think these 7 steps are good for ANY diet, bulk or cut, and want opinions as to whether you guys agree.

You misinterpreted my point #2. I was just saying that the regime he describes clearly presupposes an active workout regime along with it. Therefore the results he sees are going to be the results of the combined workout+eating regimes, and not necessarily an endorsement of his eating plan alone. Scientific analysis would isolate the eating plan's effects to determine its real effect. I'm glad you can fit 5-8 meals into your day. I can't. Not everyone is the same, which is why glib constructs such as those in the article cannot be universally applied.

smw356

Reaction score
You misinterpreted my point #2. I was just saying that the regime he describes clearly presupposes an active workout regime along with it. Therefore the results he sees are going to be the results of the combined workout+eating regimes, and not necessarily an endorsement of his eating plan alone. Scientific analysis would isolate the eating plan's effects to determine its real effect.
It's called The 7 Habits of Highly Effective Nutritional Programs if you are not exercising its not going to be effective period, making the pre-supposition completely valid.

I'm glad you can fit 5-8 meals into your day. I can't. Not everyone is the same, which is why glib constructs such as those in the article cannot be universally applied.

You could fit 5-6 in if you cared to do so. The fact is you just don't care enough or its not important enough to you to do it, there is nothing inherently wrong with that but there is nothing preventing you from doing so.

Fat-Elvis

Reaction score
You don't need to divide your meals into smaller meals every 2-3 hours. That's a myth, and it's not necessary to keep your metabolism high.

lost in va

Reaction score

1) cut out french fries at least (french fries are literal DEATH STICKS.. )

4) drink alcohol less

357503.jpg

smw356

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Fat-Elvis
You don't need to divide your meals into smaller meals every 2-3 hours. That's a myth, and it's not necessary to keep your metabolism high.

No but for people who have **** for portion perception it keeps them from overeating.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Staff online

Forum statistics