• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Settle a dispute: Which is more acceptable: a suit from Jos. A. Bank or Macy's

Mr. White

Reaction score
If going after separates, the Macy's Tasso Elba house brand is way better than its Alfani entry-level brand. Having said that, to me, Macy's is just a clearance rack for tolerable casual wear.

AlexE

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
JAB - not excited by quality, but the styling is even worse. could not care less.

Macys - quality if house brands is bad in addition they carry crappy stuff like Calvin Klein, Hilfinger, Kenneth Cole, Lauren by RL, Donald Trump....they also have some Boss Black Label which is certainly way overpriced for the quality you get, but compared to the JAB stuff looks at least halfway acceptable

Kiwi Man

Reaction score
Originally Posted by AlexE
JAB - not excited by quality, but the styling is even worse. could not care less.

Macys - quality if house brands is bad in addition they carry crappy stuff like Calvin Klein, Hilfinger, Kenneth Cole, Lauren by RL, Donald Trump....they also have some Boss Black Label which is certainly way overpriced for the quality you get, but compared to the JAB stuff looks at least halfway acceptable

I own Hugo Boss suits and I would say that I personally like them. Therefore, I would like to say that it would be better to go to Macy and get Boss suits if it costs similar to Jos A Bank suits.

Superfluous

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Here's my perception of the difference if someone told me they bought a suit at Macy's vs JAB.

JAB: I assume you most likely think you're getting nice clothes at a high discount/sale... but you're uneducated in the matter and don't know the reality.

Macy's: I assume you know where you are and you know what you're paying for... so at least you don't come off as dumb, just that you don't want/can't pay for better clothes.

Just my thoughts.

phxlawstudent

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Tony Romo
JAB: I assume you most likely think you're getting nice clothes at a high discount/sale... but you're uneducated in the matter and don't know the reality.

Macy's: I assume you know where you are and you know what you're paying for... so at least you don't come off as dumb, just that you don't want/can't pay for better clothes.

Just my thoughts.

I actually agree with this post.

SirGrotius

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Both have horrific quality, but at JAB has probably the worst possible style sense so I'd say Macy's.

ExHack

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Tony Romo
Here's my perception of the difference if someone told me they bought a suit at Macy's vs JAB.

Just my thoughts.

I tend to think the reverse. Macy's is for numbskulls who think Tommy Hilfiger, CK et al. are "good brands" and oh, holy hand grenades, they're having a 3-day-only 1/3 off everything in the store sale!!! So the "good brands" are now a "good deal!"

I f***ing HATE Macy's. I hate everything about Macy's. I hate the crap they sell from jumped-the-shark has-been labels, always overpriced. I hate their cheesy mediocre house brands. I hate way they then heavily discount their overpriced crap to the sheeple. I hate the way they ate good regional department stores like Marshall Field, as well as a lot of $h!tty ones, spreading Borg-like across the landscape. I wouldn't piss on a Macy's if it were burning. I am pretty sure I'm not up to SF's standards overall, but I f***ing HATE Macy's. At least with JAB it's a reliable wannabe Brooks Brothers.

For your money, hit a BB outlet or their online sales. Nordstrom Racks often have some decent suits at reasonable discounts, as well as all the accessories you need.

MikeDT

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Which is more acceptable: McDonalds or Burger King? Both are junk and wont do you any good in the long term.

noob in 89

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by ExHack
from jumped-the-shark has-been labels...

facepalm.gif

deveandepot1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
JAB >>> Macys.
Many of their suits are fully lined, have side vents, tailored fit,...
They also carry Allen Edmonds, Made in USA Alligator and Shell Cordovan Belts, $10($5 when on sale) OTC wool socks, $20 cedar shoe racks, $10 shoe trees...

Edit- I haven't been there in 2-3 years so things might have changed.

Edit 2- Looking at their site they still have most of what I remember. They still have the Joseph fit suits that are similar to Brooks Brothers Regent and $10 OTC socks.

MikeDT

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by deveandepot1
JAB >>> Macys. Many of their suits are fully lined, have side vents, tailored fit,...
And so are £30 GBP polyester suits from a supermarket. Some high-end suits are only partially lined, e.g. Oxxford. It can actually cost more to make a partially lined suit jacket than a fully lined one. A full lining will often hide a mass of loose threads. This is something I learned on Ask Andy About Clothes.

deveandepot1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by MikeDT
And so are £30 GBP polyester suits from a supermarket. Some high-end suits are only partially lined, e.g. Oxxford. It can actually cost more to make a partially lined suit jacket than a fully lined one. A full lining will often hide a mass of loose threads. This is something I learned on Ask Andy About Clothes.

This is true.
smile.gif

ExHack

Reaction score
Originally Posted by noobizor
facepalm.gif

Trying to figure out if the facepalm is an "agree," "disagree," or "WTF" .... Oh, and I still hate Macy's.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.6%

Forum statistics

Threads