Settle a bet -monochromatic look or insignia ties

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by jpeirpont, Jan 7, 2004.

1. jpeirpont

jpeirpont Senior member

A friend and I have a bet about which is more acceptable the monochromatic look or the emblamatic tie specifically ones with animals or insects on them.Example of emblamatic tie's are J.Press

2. LA Guy

LA Guy Opposite Santa Staff Member Admin Moderator

It depends on the situation and style. Monochromatic ties generally look a little more urbane.

3. jpeirpont

jpeirpont Senior member

I would also count them in the trend catoragory monocromatic that is.

4. bryce330

bryce330 Senior member

Do you mean the monochromatic tie AND shirt look (a la Regis)? I don't think that's ever acceptable, although there's nothing wrong with a monochromatic tie with a different color shirt or a striped/patterned shirt of a similar color.

5. AlanC

AlanC Minister of Trad

Insignia ties add a bit of whimsy and/or casualness. A pheasant insignia tie, for example, gives you a nice English country look. They would work nicely at the clubhouse or also in academic settings.

6. T4phage

T4phage Senior member

Originally posted by Bryce330
    I would disagree: the monochromatic look was here in Europe a long time before the Regis Philbin popularized it in the States. It is still worn here with flair, maybe in the U.S the style is done lacking taste or maybe the connotations with Regis makes it off putting. Bryce330 when you were in Italy, did you go to any formal events? If you did, you would see such a look pulled off with taste and distintion.

7. jpeirpont

jpeirpont Senior member

Why didnt this post garner much attention?

8. banksmiranda

banksmiranda Senior member

I generally prefer monochromatic ties. I don't care much for the Regis look, though with certain colors(navy shirt and tie) it can look nice.

9. matadorpoeta

matadorpoeta Senior member

i prefer solid color ties and I can't stand emblamatic ties except when 60 year olds who wear them casually. i still hope i don't end up one of those.

as for the regis look, i'm with bryce. i don't care who's pulling it off (or thinks they are) in europe, it lacks imagination and is unpleasant to the eye.

t4phage, maybe you can show us an example that looks good. the only one i can think of is maybe a black tuxedo with white shirt and white bow tie--nothing as far as suits go.

how a bout another option for the poll?

3. neither.