• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Setting Watch Date (Tissot)

HEWSINATOR

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
So, for the past few days I have been dying trying to set my watch date. It seem to turn at noon, not 12:00 no matter what I do.

I have read up, and found out that I should not change the date too close to midnight, and I can honestly not say that I have not done that, but do not know if that effects my situation, as the date does not seem to be broke, but just changes at noon, not midnight.

Does my watch know which 12:00 it is somehow, and I have it mixed up into thinking that it is the other no matter what I do?

I have tried changing in the morning, think I have it nipped, only to realize that the date changed on me after noon.

Am I nuts here, what can I do, what can be going on?

I know this may seem like a very amateur question for some of you, but it is making me mental.

Thanks

FidelCashflow

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The manual should say what you're supposed to do. Your watch has no friggin clue whether it's AM or PM. If it doesn't, just use trial and error, there's only 2 possible outcomes:

A) It changes date the first time it turns 12:00
B) It changes date the second time it turns 12:00

Seems like you've already eliminated one possibility...

Journeyman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I don't know if I can explain it well, but the reason that it your watch is doing this is because you have incorrectly set the time/date previously and it is simply carrying on with the mistaken setting.

When setting the time and date on your watch, if it has not run for a little while, you should fully wind the watch. Then, using the first setting on the winder, you should wind the date forward to the day BEFORE today's date.
Then, pull the winder out fully and manually advance the hands to set the correct time. As the date is set as yesterday's date, you will need to pass 12 o'clock at least once, depending on whether it is morning or afternoon. When you pass 12 o'clock for the first time ("midnight"), the date should click forward to today's date. If you are setting your watch in the afternoon, make sure that you keep on winding forward to pass 12 o'clock again, otherwise you will simply continue to have the problem of your watch clicking over at midday instead of midnight.

I hope that the above is clear. Of course, if your watch time/date is set in a different manner to mine (Omega automatic) then please ignore all of the above!

HEWSINATOR

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thank you Journeyman. Seems to have done the trick.

Seems obvious now, but I did not know that I could advance the date by manually moving the time through "midnight" which was really noon. I thought the watch just would advance date after passing 12 twice, so I needed to simply set date in the am.

In this reagard, my watch does seem to know am or pm.

Anyhow, this is hopefully the simplest thing I have to ask on the internet for a long time.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 88 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 88 37.6%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 38 16.2%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads