1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Seriously.

Discussion in 'B&S Archive' started by j, Feb 19, 2008.

1. kwilkinson

kwilkinson Senior member

That's actually an awesome idea! I think I am going to do that on my next sales thread, I'll start 3-4 different accounts. I'll have one guy complain about the price, and then another guy tell him to STFU and then a third guy complaining about a previous purchase and calling me a prick and then a fourth guy talking about how the item is a steal and I'm a great seller.

I'll tell you to STFU and save you the trouble of making another account. Hell, I'll even call you a prick, but only cause we're friends, and I'm a giver.

2. EL72

EL72 Senior member

3. j

j Senior member Admin

I don't care if people want to make different identities to talk to themselves. Just not in B&S.

Really. It's just embarrassing for me. If you aren't positive that you are higher tech than like 98% of people, just don't try. I've been kind of light-grey-hat for going on 15-16 years now. You should just assume the same about any website owner. And this is some seriously remedial effort.

4. imageWIS

imageWIS Senior member

God, I thought there was no way to make the fat-free cottage cheese that I'm eating enjoyable, but I've been proved wrong!

hahahah excellent

+2

Only way this would be better is if he got in to an argument with himself over the price.

Seriously.

[​IMG]

[​IMG] I love the tags too!

+1

Jonathan. I knew it all along. I told you to watch that J guy, he is a snake in the grass.

Nice.

Jon.

5. DNW

DNW Senior member

6. sygyzy

sygyzy Senior member

I am pretty sure this is not the case but I have to point out one possibility. If these people are posting within the same company network, they'll appear to be from the same IP. For example, my friend and I both post to Fatwallet and if the admins decided to crackdown, they might accuse us of being the same person because of the IP address. But we're not. And it's perfectly reasoable for us to to comment on each other's posts.

7. imageWIS

imageWIS Senior member

I don't care if people want to make different identities to talk to themselves. Just not in B&S.

Really. It's just embarrassing for me. If you aren't positive that you are higher tech than like 98% of people, just don't try. I've been kind of light-grey-hat for going on 15-16 years now. You should just assume the same about any website owner. And this is some seriously remedial effort.

Yeah, it would have been easier to remotely log in to another computer that's using a diff IP address and post from there.

Jon.

8. j

j Senior member Admin

I am pretty sure this is not the case but I have to point out one possibility. If these people are posting within the same company network, they'll appear to be from the same IP. For example, my friend and I both post to Fatwallet and if the admins decided to crackdown, they might accuse us of being the same person because of the IP address. But we're not. And it's perfectly reasoable for us to to comment on each other's posts.
    Yeah, but are you doing it to avoid a rule about not bumping? If you're in the same building, there's no reason to ask in the thread. (In our case.)

BTW, it's not just the IP, but that's all I'm going to show people.

9. mainy

mainy Senior member

I wish I could say this was the first forum I'd seen this attempted on.

10. slycedbred

slycedbred Senior member

could this become the most popular thread in B&S?!

11. rnoldh

rnoldh Senior member

[​IMG] [​IMG]

Yeah, dual or triple or whatever # of identities would be entertaining. Imagine if someone were arguing with themselves in the CE thread. You could be for Obama, Hillary, McCain and no one at the same time.

Or commenting on their own posts in WAYWRN in the same thread.

How about giving romantic, or financial advice to themselves.

The possibilities are endless.

12. lee_44106

lee_44106 Senior member

funny haha, so what's for sale?

13. speedster.8

speedster.8 Senior member

Yeah, but are you doing it to avoid a rule about not bumping? If you're in the same building, there's no reason to ask in the thread. (In our case.) BTW, it's not just the IP, but that's all I'm going to show people.
    They might not even be in the same company, there are several business centers that share infrastructure, gigabit in out, but common firewall and common browsing IP. But J is probably seeing OS (patches) browser (inc addons) and if the computer owner has not turned of intels chip numbering, he leaves a unique no [​IMG] And there is the question of cokies ... I remember the cookie monster on the Muppet show. [​IMG] I must be a confusing member [​IMG] I think i brows with 8 different machines from 4 distinct isp's ... possibly 5os's and a couple of different browsers .... Id actually like to see my log, maybe J can send me, Id like that ... thanks Speed

14. Holdfast

Holdfast Senior member

I admin at another board (not on the tech side, just on the moderating side) and there are a few others things one can look at to spot duals as well as IP. But frankly, it's not all that difficult to set up a proxy and then there's little one can do.

Still, it's nice when duals are easy to spot. [​IMG]

15. whacked

whacked Senior member

God, I thought there was no way to make the fat-free cottage cheese that I'm eating enjoyable, but I've been proved wrong!
    Try mixing in peanut butter or fruit yogurt. Your taste bud will be grateful forever after.

[​IMG] [​IMG]

Yeah, dual or triple or whatever # of identities would be entertaining. Imagine if someone were arguing with themselves in the CE thread. You could be for Obama, Hillary, McCain and no one at the same time.

How about giving romantic, or financial advice to themselves.

Wait, so you are telling me that iammatt, edmorel, and GQGeek are not the same person? [​IMG]

16. RJman

RJman Senior member Dubiously Honored

Wait, so you are telling me that iammatt, edmorel, and GQGeek are not the same person? [​IMG]
    Iammatt outed me as both Manton and Artisan Fan once.

17. aportnoy

aportnoy Senior member Dubiously Honored

18. j

j Senior member Admin

I admin at another board (not on the tech side, just on the moderating side) and there are a few others things one can look at to spot duals as well as IP. But frankly, it's not all that difficult to set up a proxy and then there's little one can do.

Still, it's nice when duals are easy to spot. [​IMG]

Except banning known proxy server IPs (ranges), which I've started doing. Most people aren't industrious enough to set up their own or find an obscure one, so this solves most of that.

19. chorse123

chorse123 Senior member

Interesting that "sophman" posted in the other Caruso suit sale thread going right now. Weird.

20. BigHandMan

BigHandMan Senior member

It might be easier for him if he just created one new user name called "Sybil" or "Herschel Walker". Either way...